Can we stop calling for Lynch to be traded now?

BillsfaninFl

After last week, when Marshawn got his longest run of the season, people were still calling for his head on a platter. Today, he went out and pulled off the longest run (47 yards) the Bills had all season. He had 84 yards on only 12 carries.

You need two good running backs on your team in today's NFL. We have them. It is the only position where we are rock solid. Why on earth would we want to get rid of one of them?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After last week, when Marshawn got his longest run of the season, people were still calling for his head on a platter. Today, he went out and pulled off the longest run (47 yards) the Bills had all season. He had 84 yards on only 12 carries.

You need two good running backs on your team in today's NFL. We have them. It is the only position where we are rock solid. Why on earth would we want to get rid of one of them?

RB,WR,DB...after that what a mess

Lynch proved how fat and slow he is with that run.

Jackson and any other #1 RB would have scored on that run

looked like Lynch was winded after passing the 1st down marker

I agree--good game by Lynch, and he probably isn't going anywhere.

But I would like to rip Lynch one more time--that was one ugly "long run" today. He broke through to the second level and basically slowed down, trying to juke guys down the sideline. I know his style isn't to be a breakaway speedster--but it is something comparing him to a guy like Chris Johnson when both guys get in the open field. Johnson is like a dart to the endzone; Lynch is like a break-dancer.

I don't want to trade Lynch, but I think there are valid responses to your two points.

First, playing well is not a reason to not want to trade him. After all, buy low and sell high is the most basic principle of business.

Second, you might need two backs to succeed in the NFL, but you don't need two backs of the quality of Lynch and Jackson. And if you have a surplus that is being used inefficiently at one position and deficits at so many others, it makes sense to try to reallocate your resources.

BTW, here are the YPC of the top two backs on the four best teams in the NFL:

Minnesota: Peterson 4.5, Taylor 3.8

Indianapolis: Addai 3.7, Brown 4.5

New Orleans: Bell 4.2, Thomas 5.3

San Diego: Tomlinson 3.2, Sproles 3.3

I'm not sure how good any of those backs are, outside of Peterson.

But I would like to rip Lynch one more time--that was one ugly "long run" today. He broke through to the second level and basically slowed down, trying to juke guys down the sideline. I know his style isn't to be a breakaway speedster--but it is something comparing him to a guy like Chris Johnson when both guys get in the open field. Johnson is like a dart to the endzone; Lynch is like a break-dancer.

You're giving him a little bit too much credit with words like "juke".

With his past history and contract he has no real trade value anyway. Beside that, decent running backs are a dime-a-dozen. That's really all he is because he has poor vision, mediocre hands and no breakaway ability. He's just an undersized battering ram. It's fun to watch his frantic style, but in the end he's really just an average back. There is a misconception that the Bills have this great backfield. They don't.

With his past history and contract he has no real trade value anyway. Beside that, decent running backs are a dime-a-dozen. That's really all he is because he has poor vision, mediocre hands and no breakaway ability. He's just an undersized battering ram. It's fun to watch his frantic style, but in the end he's really just an average back. There is a misconception that the Bills have this great backfield. They don't.

I would put lots of money down that whoever comes in to make the personnel decisions will take about two seconds to pencil Jackson and Lynch's name into the roster for next year and moves on to more pressing needs. Namely almost every other position.

RB,WR,DB...after that what a mess

Guys our D isn't bad our offense just makes them seem that way our D is what keeps us in games teams keep running at our D to wear them down because they know they will have lots of opportunities to do so with our offense as bad as it is they also run because they can't pass. I listen to you guys every week it seems as though you think NFL teams are suppose to shut their opponent out every game the best D ever I think only accomplished this 4 games.

You better tell the rest of the NFL that to because they seem to think so. If we didn't have all those injuries we would be at the top of the division even with captain checkdown at QB but I don't expect you guys to admit this. That would mean we actually had a decent team this year and our only true problem is our strength and conditioning coach. Granted there was lots of room for improvement but there is on any team.

Agreed. Lynch needs a RBs coach in the worst way. He dances when he needs to just run. He's a damn good RB; he just needs to stop trying to outjuke everyone especially when they're still 5 yards away from him.

Because backups can be found in later rounds. Unless they are Peterson, RB's are a dime a dozen.

playing well is not a reason to not want to trade him.

it makes sense to try to reallocate your resources.

Are we talking about trading stocks or football players? Playing well is the best reason not to trade someone. And regarding "reallocate your resources," you don't improve your team by weakening it at one position in the hope of strengthening it at another.

Trading in the NFL is often a risky step. In many cases it means one team gives up a good player, while the other gets a draft choice that may or may not become a good player. Some teams are good at trading players. They may be very good at determining the ability of players they want to acquire, or when trading away a player, they may be helped by the fact that they have a strong team, which makes the player they are trading appear better than they really are.

Case in point: New England, who improved themselves by bringing in Welker and Moss. They sent away Cassel and others who weren't nearly as good as they looked on the Patriots' team.

Then there are teams that are consistently victimized in trades, like the Buffalo Bills. (It hurts too much for me to list the disasterous moves, but look up our trade history for the last several years and you will see an alarming trend.) Hence, my position that trading away a good player is not going to improve this team.

Given the current status of our roster, I'm not sure there is any player that isn't potentially trade bait. However, we're also not in a position to just throw relatively young players to the curb for fire sale prices, depending up our new (?) front-office's tolerance for off-field nonsense.

I suspect that very few players on our team would draw any type of enticing trade value. I don't believe Lynch is one of them ... notwithstanding the former expectations of the "trade Roscoe!" crowd. :-)

I wouldn't side with those who want to just dump Lynch per se, and agree that we need at least 2 good backs. That being said, however, there were multiple occassions once again when Lynch got a dump off pass or a pitch and immediately started juking and got nowhere. Now granted... these plays were not well blocked, but I thought to myself on each one of these occassions "If Freddie was in the game, he would've moved the chains..." And then the next series Freddie would come into the game... and he would move the chains. Jackson just always turns the ball upfield, takes what is there, and then the dude just flat gets slippery and gets 4 or 5 yards out of nothing. That's the difference between the two, and it's oh so important if we hope to have a winning team again.

I totally agree, the idiotic morons on this board that were calling for the Bills to trade Lynch, don't know their asses from a hole in the ground, or much about football. Watching the last two games, Lynch and Jackson complement each other well, one of the few positions we don't have to worry about upgrading on this team. With our two backs, we probably have one of the top 3 or 4 RB tandems in the league, you can't say that about any other position on this team, even WR where we thought we did, but how has that panned out?