How bout our QB?

twist_to_open

I don't know why people cannot grasp the obvious.

Let's start with the blatantly obvious:

Wilson hasn't finished "cleaning" house.

Why worry (or bother) about evaluating a player when the people who are doing the evaluation probably will not be here next year?

Once again, the same guys who would evaluate Brohm now probably will not be here come draft day. Do you really care what these people have to say?

Brohm was snagged off the practice squad. Brohm would have to play lights out to even consider NOT drafting/acquiring a QB in the off season. And if Brohm was able to play lights out (or even something close to it), he would NOT be sitting on the practice squad.

Other than to pacify people like you, the organization gains NOTHING in playing Brohm now.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Really? So the new people who come in won't be able to watch game tape of Brohm's three starts? Edwards is done, it's over. Fitzpatrick is a career backup and will be our backup next season as well, so deal with it people. There's really no reason to start either of them unless you think they're going to make the playoffs. Why on God's green earth wouldn't you start Brohm, you have absolutely nothing to lose. Perry Fewell's job? Ralph Wilson should say, listen you have done a good job, we'll consider you, but we have to do what's best for the franchise and these next three games aren't about winning and losing but evaluating our young talent. Stevie Johnson and James Hardy should get reps, they finally got Nic Harris some reps yesterday. We have ruled out the possibility of either Edwards or Fitzpatrick being a franchise QB so that's a start. Why not see if we can't do the same with Brohm? Hell, what if he's good!?!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Brohm doesn't start this season, will you admit you're wrong? I'll admit I'm wrong that the team just took a flyer on the guy and has no intention of starting him if he does start. I just don't believe this team actually believes they can find their QB of the future on anyone's practice squad. Nobody picked up the guy on waivers-even Kevin O'Connell was picked up on waivers (and subsequently traded) while this guy just lingered on GB's practice squad.

However, considering this group thought they could replace Jason Peters with a weak 7th round pick, anything is possible. If we get any competent people running the football side by April, Brohm will just be an afterthought-something I think he already is.

Well of course I'll admit I was wrong, but I don't think I will be. Unlike some of the insecure kids out here, I'm not afraid that my dick will fall off if I have to admit I was wrong, ferchrissakes!

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Brohm play against NE*, but I think it's more likely Fitz gets one more start - maybe Brohm gets some garbage time if we're in the midst of crushing the Cheatriettes*, or (God forbid) getting crushed by them. I expect Brohm to get significant playing time against the Falcons, maybe even the start.

Really? So the new people who come in won't be able to watch game tape of Brohm's three starts? Edwards is done, it's over. Fitzpatrick is a career backup and will be our backup next season as well, so deal with it people. There's really no reason to start either of them unless you think they're going to make the playoffs. Why on God's green earth wouldn't you start Brohm, you have absolutely nothing to lose. Perry Fewell's job? Ralph Wilson should say, listen you have done a good job, we'll consider you, but we have to do what's best for the franchise and these next three games aren't about winning and losing but evaluating our young talent. Stevie Johnson and James Hardy should get reps, they finally got Nic Harris some reps yesterday. We have ruled out the possibility of either Edwards or Fitzpatrick being a franchise QB so that's a start. Why not see if we can't do the same with Brohm? Hell, what if he's good!?!

Brohm was picked off the practice squad from another team.

He has been on this team for less than 4 weeks.

You now want him to play so (to paraphrase) "we (more like you, and people like you) can determine if he is a franchise QB or not".

THREE frigging games.

Here's a question. Was 3 games enough to determine if Edwards was the "franchise" QB?

And here's a clue. Brohm was picked off another team's PRACTICE SQUAD.

Let me repeat that: Brohm was picked off another team's PRACTICE SQUAD.

I did not realize practice squad really meant "Franchise Squad".

Likely so - we'll need a #3 to replace Edwards, who will likely be out of professional football next season. I still think we should have signed Graham Harrell last Spring.

Texas Tech was bad this year. Their coach isn't anything special.

Give it up already...U of H even :wallbash: beat them.

I even heard a couple of TV analysts call him "Fitzgerald" yesterday during various highlight shows. Dan Marino was one ... can't remember who the other one was.

Sorry...guilty as charged... my boss at my most recent job had the last name Fitzgerald..it just kind of rolls off the tounge, and fingertips apparently, than Fitzpatrick... :wallbash:

I'd hate to see Brohm play this season. That would be a tall glass of off-season Koolaid wasted. I'm being serious too, if that guy looks like hell.... :thumbsup:

Not sure - if he played a quarter or two and did well, he might be elevated to Steve Johnson status and be dubbed as the next "sure thing, who only needs more playing time."

That would be fun...

Not sure - if he played a quarter or two and did well, he might be elevated to Steve Johnson status and be dubbed as the next "sure thing, who only needs more playing time."

That would be fun...

Very true. Can you imagine if Brohm completed a couple of passes to Johnson and Hardy? This board would be buzzing all offseason with "I told you so" threads and "this guy is the real deal" topics.

Very true. Can you imagine if Brohm completed a couple of passes to Johnson and Hardy? This board would be buzzing all offseason with "I told you so" threads and "this guy is the real deal" topics.

I hope it happens. It would spice up the off-season doldrums, and would engender many topics about draft needs. :thumbsup:

Its been a fun weekend of :thumbsup: ... now back to reality.

You guys want the Bills to start a QB that doesn't yet fully know the system he is playing in.

Behind an O line that was bad from the beginning of the season to currently downright horrid.

So you can watch him run for his life play after play?

Exactly what will the Bills gain by destroying a decent future QB prospect?

Its been a fun weekend of :thumbsup: ... now back to reality.

You guys want the Bills to start a QB that doesn't yet fully know the system he is playing in.

Behind an O line that was bad from the beginning of the season to currently downright horrid.

So you can watch him run for his life play after play?

Exactly what will the Bills gain by destroying a decent future QB prospect?

Well by the time we play the Falcons, he'll have been here over 5 weeks. Same with Simmons, so maybe the O-line will be a bit more solid, too. Guy scored a 32 on the Wonderlic, so I'm assuming he's not totally brain-dead.

I really would like to see if there's still any semblance of this...

Nice discussion & interview from EPSN's coverage of the '08 draft

Right now, Brian Brohm is the ideal #3 QB on your team. Hamden was a decent player with virtually no upside. Brohm is the kind of player you want as your #3 who has a large upside but you can't really play yet, and he costs peanuts.

IMO, there are three kinds of #2 back-up QBs: 1] the possible #1 kind of guy who is young and probably deserves a chance as a starter someday like Rogers and Romo and Rivers used to be. 2] The veteran journeyman like Jeff Garcia who can come in and play immediately and your team is not completely lost if your starter goes down for the year, and 3] the Fitz type who is clearly a #2 and can fill in decently for a half or two or game or two but he's simply not good enough to be a full time starter. Fitz is a decent part time back-up but that's all he is. Edwards, if healthy, would be a decent back-up QB. To me, he's just not a starter.

We desperately need a starting quarterback, which we don't have on this roster. The problem is, a huge draft pick becoming your future franchise QB should not be paired with a #2 like Fitz, he needs a #2 like Garcia or a veteran that can start the season if need be. There doesnt seem to be a good crop of FA QBs available. (Garcia is not the answer and I don't want him at all, just using him as an example, the kind of player he was the last five years or so).

We're in a fix, and there doesn't appear to be a fix on the horizon.

Fitz is your typical journeyman QB, now on his 3rd team in 5 NFL seasons. He was brought in to be the anti-JP backup QB and nothing more.

Brohm is a cast-off, and it astounds me that people think this guy is franchise QB material. 30 other teams declined to sign him from GB's practice squad, but we're to believe Buffalo's pro personnel department knows something the other 30 franchises don't? Sure.

Look into it, BillsVet. Yah, he had a lousy rookie training camp KNOWING that he wasn't going anywhere, then, IMO the Pack wanted to save a few bucks, did nothing at all to allow him to compete and when he looked good at the end of training camp they "cut" him, quickly put him on the practice squad (obviously thinking/believing/hoping) that everyone would consider him a bust....and remember, if a team picks him up they have to put him on their 53 man ACTIVE ROSTER.

So the Bills finally claim him and the Pack quickly tries to activate him....WHY? Huh? I'm thinking it's because he's got a whole lot more potential than he's shown so far and than people give him credit for.

Well by the time we play the Falcons, he'll have been here over 5 weeks. Same with Simmons, so maybe the O-line will be a bit more solid, too. Guy scored a 32 on the Wonderlic, so I'm assuming he's not totally brain-dead.

I really would like to see if there's still any semblance of this...

Nice discussion & interview from EPSN's coverage of the '08 draft

Jeez, Simmons has how many years of NFL experience?

Even if he has learned Buffalo's podunk offense, which I doubt. He would still be playing behind the worst O line in the NFL. So you want to see him get sacked, beat up and perhaps injured or concussed to prove what? That he can run for his life as good as Edwards or Fitzpatrick?

What most people don't get is that it takes an average of 4 years to properly develop a QB, let the guy sit, learn and watch. Let him go through an off season program so he fully understands the Bills offensive playbook and learns to read NFL defenses by watching film.

Let him compete for a starting job next year in training camp. If he is as good as you make him out to be, then he needs a chance to show what he can do behind a somewhat competent O line.

It could be that next season, Fitzpatrick will be the only one of the present QBs on the opening day roster.

As others have stated, his own teammates have endorsed Trent's benching. As far a Brohm is concerned, he's nothing better than a guy Green Bay waived & for 2/3 of the season nobody made a move to get him off GB's practice squad. The worst arguments of the start Brohm group I've heard is when we offered him a contract, GB tried to MATCH it. I never heard that GB thought enough of him to offer anything that exceeded our offer. Unless you're destoyed by injuries to all your QBs, no team takes a guy off the scrap heap who has never taken a single NFL snap-except for preseason, and makes him the starter to see what he's got. The basic assumption on Brohm has to be a bust who is filling a roster spot who has no business starting anytime soon. Anyone with the delusion that he's anything more than that is really grasping at straws. It's almost the equivalent of a Colts fan expecting Drew Willy to eventually be the successor to Peyton Manning.

Hey..you know what they say about assumptions....its the mother of all F***ups

Jeez, Simmons has how many years of NFL experience?

Even if he has learned Buffalo's podunk offense, which I doubt. He would still be playing behind the worst O line in the NFL. So you want to see him get sacked, beat up and perhaps injured or concussed to prove what? That he can run for his life as good as Edwards or Fitzpatrick?

What most people don't get is that it takes an average of 4 years to properly develop a QB, let the guy sit, learn and watch. Let him go through an off season program so he fully understands the Bills offensive playbook and learns to read NFL defenses by watching film.

Let him compete for a starting job next year in training camp. If he is as good as you make him out to be, then he needs a chance to show what he can do behind a somewhat competent O line.

Four years? FOUR YEARS????

Hah! This is Buffalo. More that a few have already called him a bust - a washed-up piece of crap that no one else wants (i.e., Cynical, Thurman#1, et al) without seeing him play a single down! :thumbsup:

He's got 2 weeks.

I will get smoked for this.........BUT......... I still think Fitz would be good behind a top 5 line. Overall, his decisions haven't been terrible save one or two, behind a bad line. I'm not sure, did Cincy have a decent line last year when he came around at the end and won the last 4-5 games? I don't see the "happy feet" despite our line. Believing you're going to get killed every dropback has to effect the decision process even if only distracting the passer from his progressions.

In todays NFL, you have to have a complete team, then if the QB can't make it, he can't make it. (would love to have at least a top 10 line this year to evaluate Trent or Fitz).

OK, flame away..............

I will get smoked for this.........BUT......... I still think Fitz would be good behind a top 5 line. Overall, his decisions haven't been terrible save one or two, behind a bad line. I'm not sure, did Cincy have a decent line last year when he came around at the end and won the last 4-5 games? I don't see the "happy feet" despite our line. Believing you're going to get killed every dropback has to effect the decision process even if only distracting the passer from his progressions.

In todays NFL, you have to have a complete team, then if the QB can't make it, he can't make it. (would love to have at least a top 10 line this year to evaluate Trent or Fitz).

OK, flame away..............

Have you been watching the games? Fitz has made more bad decisions in the last two weeks than Losman and Edwards did combined in their entire Bills careers. He has been pathetic, with the exception of one nice block and a couple nice runs. He makes more bad choices than good ones.

So a bad line is an excuse for Fitz but not for Edwards? Please. Our line is pathetic, but even when they block Fitz makes poor decisions.

Have you been watching the games? Fitz has made more bad decisions in the last two weeks than Losman and Edwards did combined in their entire Bills careers. He has been pathetic, with the exception of one nice block and a couple nice runs. He makes more bad choices than good ones.

So a bad line is an excuse for Fitz but not for Edwards? Please. Our line is pathetic, but even when they block Fitz makes poor decisions.

Oh I definately wish Trent would have had a line, that's probably what cost him. We knew what we were getting with Drew Bledsoe, BUT we did not get an All-pro line to protect him and look what happened. This is why I was stating we need a line. We haven't had one in a decade. Once again, it all starts in the trenches.

I thought Fitz did ok against the Fish, although I haven't taped too many games this year to rewatch.