Interview question I am faced with.....

The Poojer

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh heck yeah.....

...actually the beauty of the phone interview today was the bailey's in the coffee, then after 60 minutes i noticed it was noon, so i then cracked a beer.....and i wonder why i can't get a job :wallbash:;)

Please tell me you said that you refuse to wash his balls.

they are strange questions and they really weren't looking for the 'right answer' they simply wanted to see how i processed the info

It's a common interview technique. Another one is the "manhole question."

Basically, they ask you why manhole covers are round. There's multiple reasons, so they expect you'll give one or two reasons (for example: a round disc can't fall through the hole and kill someone). Then they challenge you -- "No, that's not the reason - the real reason is that it's easier to move them by rolling -- it'd be really hard to move a square one." They don't care about your answer, they want to see how you react when you're being challenged. Microsoft used to ask this question.

It's a common interview technique. Another one is the "manhole question."

Basically, they ask you why manhole covers are round. There's multiple reasons, so they expect you'll give one or two reasons (for example: a round disc can't fall through the hole and kill someone). Then they challenge you -- "No, that's not the reason - the real reason is that it's easier to move them by rolling -- it'd be really hard to move a square one." They don't care about your answer, they want to see how you react when you're being challenged. Microsoft used to ask this question.

Why? Just pick it up and carry it. Reminds me of some employees I had last summer, asked me how they lift manholes to check inside the basin. "Easy... you pick it up. What's the friggin problem?" He looked at me like I had 3 heads. Needless to say he didn't last long.

got a heads up on an interview question I will be facing....apparently they don't really want an answer, they simply want to see how I approach the answer....

'On any given day in July, how many golf balls are in the air at any one time....'

my thought process is that at any one time there are proabaly 18 balls in the air per golf course....(no balls in the air on par 3s, due to people on drivable greens, but 2 balls in the air on each par 5).....multiply that 18 times the number of golf courses in the US....

anyone have any more creative thoughts?

Half of them?

My stats professor used to say with authority: "Statistically speaking the correct answer is often 12". This provided a semi-logical sounding answer to any ludicrous question. :thumbsup:

got a heads up on an interview question I will be facing....apparently they don't really want an answer, they simply want to see how I approach the answer....

'On any given day in July, how many golf balls are in the air at any one time....'

my thought process is that at any one time there are proabaly 18 balls in the air per golf course....(no balls in the air on par 3s, due to people on drivable greens, but 2 balls in the air on each par 5).....multiply that 18 times the number of golf courses in the US....

You might point out that you're here for a job interview not to answer stupid questions, and if they are serious they might want to get down to brass tacks and ask something relevant. Actually the correct answer is "All of them" as the balls are in air, but not necessarily in flight at any one time.

You might point out that you're here for a job interview not to answer stupid questions, and if they are serious they might want to get down to brass tacks and ask something relevant. Actually the correct answer is "All of them" as the balls are in air, but not necessarily in flight at any one time.

I already told him that but pointed out that bad golfers' balls that are currently in rivers, lakes and oceans are only one third in air as water is two parts hydrogen and 1 part air.