Wade

The record is impressive in its way, but it continues to beg the question: Why is it that this guy is incapable of keeping the confidence of his owner long enough to keep a job? Three different owners, in different markets, decided (or in JJ's case, are deciding) that he is not worth keeping longer than three years. Why do you suppose that is so? Is it is manner? That he does not inspire confidence that he knows how to handle adversity? I am genuinely puzzled.

I think that in each case, those teams were very talented and were winning organizations.

But I think the real underlying factor was that in each case, management thought they didn't need a strong head coach.

In Denver, Bowlen and Elway had become fed up with Dan Reeves controlling nature.

In Buffalo, Butler and co. wanted a coach who wouldn't question their talent evaluation and would be loyal.

In Dallas, the organization was turned in the right direction by Parcells, but JJ wanted control he couldn't have with Parcells.

Wade is not a terrible head coach. His strengths are that he brings defense wherever he goes, and he lets his coaches coach and adapts his systems to the talent. The latter in particular stands out, after mostly a decade of Bills coaches trying to force their systems on Bills teams that weren't suited for them.

But Wade is not a task master or a good gameday coach. His teams notoriously lose focus because he doesn't demand excellence. Look at his stay in Dallas. He gets there and the players are so happy to be out from under the demanding Parcells that they actually play better.......until the going gets tough. Since that season it's been a roller coaster and when the pressure is on they play their worst.

When you know you have talent, watching teams with less go farther than you, and even win the SB, gets old real fast. He was fired in Buffalo for sticking to a bad hiring(Ronnie Jones), but he was not respected by fans because of bad gameday coaching and bad losses that cost his teams playoff positioning and the playoff failures that resulted.

I always thought Wade was a "very good" HC overall. Granted he made @ least a few questionable gameday decisions and his greatest downfall was lack of media skills but for the most part he put us in a position to win, and win we did. Lets face it, besides Levy he's the best HC we've had since Knox.

Wade has had 3 full time Head Coaching jobs in the NFL. Compare his results to our last 3 Head Coaches (Jauron, Mularkey, Gregggggo)

1993 Denver Broncos 9-7

1994 Denver Broncos 7-9

1998 Buffalo Bills 10-6

1999 Buffalo Bills 11-5

2000 Buffalo Bills 8-8

2007 Dallas Cowboys 13-3

2008 Dallas Cowboys 9-7

2009 Dallas Cowboys 8-4

When I look at those numbers, I see a trend. His teams were all worse when he left.

I generally liked Wade, but I can never get over him saying we didn't really have a chance to make the playoff, in front of a national audience, while we were still mathematically in it. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach, only that he's an idiot.

Alright. Here is what those numbers are worth, to me.

In Denver he worked for an owner with a clear commitment to winning. Look at what the guys before him and after him did. Both Reeves and Shanahan outperformed Wade.

In Buffalo, he inherited a team with a very strong front office. The Bills were aggressive in going after top talent and spent lots of money on players, to the point that when he and then Butler left, the Bills were in very bad cap shape. He coached a very talented squad.

In Dallas again he again has worked for an owner with a commitment to winning and spending to win. In his time there, Wade has coached very talented football teams.

Wade has had the good fortune of landing head coaching jobs in three very good situations.

In spite of this, Wade's record in the playoffs is 0-4. His record in Dallas in December is 3-6.

I never got the feeling that Wade was going to be a long term coach in Denver. It did not take long for the Broncos to release him. I always felt that he was going to be a temporary head coach there. It's not like he did a terrible job in Denver, it's just that he had to follow in Reeves' footsteps.

In some ways Wade is like Marty Schottenheimer, a head coach that will make you competitive, but not enough to make you a champion.

Another thing we should remember, if it was'nt for Wade, we may never have gotten Ted Washington.

When I look at those numbers, I see a trend. His teams got worse every year he coached.

I generally liked Wade, but I can never get over him saying we didn't really have a chance to make the playoff, in front of a national audience, while we were still mathematically in it. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach, only that he's an idiot.

He is an instinctive football coach, but his teams get worse because he doesn't demand success and instill mental toughness in his teams and they gradually deteriorate and get sloppy.

People forget that in 1999 he had a loaded team and lost HOME games against really bad teams Oakland and NY Giants(the infamous "4th and stupid") that lead to them playing on the road in the playoffs at Tennessee. That was a team that should have been no worse than the second seed in the AFC. Flutopians whine about the decision to play RJ in Tennessee, but it should never have come to that. They should have been playing at home in the divisional round and certainly could have beat an overrated Jags team that had a ridiculously easy schedule. That Bills team should have been in the SB that season. These things happen to Wade's teams. Not a terrible HC, but not a special one either.

Really good DC (I'd take him back in that role in a second), crappy head coach.

We made the playoffs when he was here what are you talking about firing him was stupid and he has a winning record as a HC. Your opinion is on this is hard to figure out. What are you basing it on?

We made the playoffs when he was here what are you talking about firing him was stupid and he has a winning record as a HC. Your opinion is on this is hard to figure out. What are you basing it on?

All because of Wade? Not because there were still remnants of the team put together by Bill Polian and later John Butler?

PTR

The record is impressive in its way, but it continues to beg the question: Why is it that this guy is incapable of keeping the confidence of his owner long enough to keep a job? Three different owners, in different markets, decided (or in JJ's case, are deciding) that he is not worth keeping longer than three years. Why do you suppose that is so? Is it is manner? That he does not inspire confidence that he knows how to handle adversity? I am genuinely puzzled.

He quit, remember.Ralph didn't fire him

I always thought Wade was a "very good" HC overall. Granted he made @ least a few questionable gameday decisions and his greatest downfall was lack of media skills but for the most part he put us in a position to win, and win we did. Lets face it, besides Levy he's the best HC we've had since Knox.

Wade was a great coach....Both John Butler and Wade Phillips told Ralph to eat **** and die

Phillips should have agreed to fire his special teams coach (who stunk) and stayed with Buffalo. He would've had a job for life under Wilson.

No, actually, he should have been allowed to reassign him to a defensive position as he planned on doing. But Wilson had to listen to no-nothing fans and fire him....its gotten us far, hasn't it. Fans sit in the stands for a reason- its because they aren't intelligent enough to do something more

At least he wears his headset in Dallas. Too bad it makes no difference

That's funny.. My buddy sent me pic about 10 years ago of Wade on the side lines with a photoshopped sign saying were is my headset..

Wade has had 3 full time Head Coaching jobs in the NFL. Compare his results to our last 3 Head Coaches (Jauron, Mularkey, Gregggggo)

1993 Denver Broncos 9-7

1994 Denver Broncos 7-9

1998 Buffalo Bills 10-6

1999 Buffalo Bills 11-5

2000 Buffalo Bills 8-8

2007 Dallas Cowboys 13-3

2008 Dallas Cowboys 9-7

2009 Dallas Cowboys 8-4

I would be willing to signup again for Wade even though he is buried deep on my list of preferred coaches...I fear whom the Bills organization will hire as coach if they don't take the step of hiring a GM first! But I have to admit compared to what we have seen by Williams, Mularkey, and Jauron half of Wade's seasons were very respectable. My first choice would be Bill Cowher, then Mike Shananhan but I don't feel good about either coach coming here. It seems as Mike Martz is the only one who clearly expressed that he wanted to coach here. You may be able to talk me into that scenario if it means some untested coordinator would become the new headcoach otherwise.