Peter King's MMQB

LABills08

Scroll to the bottom of this link and look at King's piece on rookie pass rushers.

Three Points:

1) Maybin has underperformed. Yes. But look at who he is keeping company w/ and you can't get on the Bills brass too much.

2) Orakpo should have been the pick for a million reasons in retrospect. I myself was way wrong bc I thought he was Gholston 2.0. That being said, he is playing outside linebacker. Maybin will never have the power of Orakpo, but part of me wonders how he would fair at outside linebacker when he could gain a head of steam running into the blockers.

3) There has been one solid DE pick in the past two years, Orakpo. Even Long is looking suspect. I imagine the success rate of 1st round O-lineman and linebackers is much higher. Perhaps the Bills will take note.

Given our inadequate coaching staff and improperly designed offensive and defensive schemes, how can anyone draw any definitive conclusions about half the players, especially a rookie in his first year?

Once again, Maybin is the 2nd youngest player in the NFL. Not saying he will but if he turns into a Freeney type player, would anyone care about a bad rookie season? I sure as hell won't.

That is a good point. I'm not completely down on him, but I think he has thus far underperformed. I don't say that merely because of his sack total, but more because of how he looks on snaps he takes..... completely over matched. He still is growing into his larger build and obviously, he is extremely young. And I am skeptical about why he hasn't been placed at linebacker.

Of course, to his credit, the coaching staff never gives him enough consistent snaps. Which I find strange considering how our season is a lost cause. Why not see how he works through his mistakes? I'm not a coach, so I could be way off on this, but I imagine that the more times he gets pancaked, the faster he will learn how to make better moves to the QB.

Also, Ayers and Jackson are both playing pretty poorly too. The only true DE that is really tearing it up is Connor Barwin (as I believe most of the other rookie pass rushers have been moved to linebacker).

Once again, Maybin is the 2nd youngest player in the NFL. Not saying he will but if he turns into a Freeney type player, would anyone care about a bad rookie season? I sure as hell won't.

I agree with you also. It was said before the season started that he will need time to develop.

The Bills had NO BUSINESS drafting maybin.

Serioulsy what team would draft a projected tweener player when they already know they needed an immediate impact at the DE position.

The Bills picking Maybin is just another long list of craptastic choices this franchise continues to make.

If the next coaching staff is smart enough to realize that maybin has less then a 0 chance at being a dominate DE then they best switch us to the 3-4 and make him an OLB immediately

The Bills had NO BUSINESS drafting maybin.

Serioulsy what team would draft a projected tweener player when they already know they needed an immediate impact at the DE position.

The Bills picking Maybin is just another long list of craptastic choices this franchise continues to make.

If the next coaching staff is smart enough to realize that maybin has less then a 0 chance at being a dominate DE then they best switch us to the 3-4 and make him an OLB immediately

You draft for the future, not for immediate need. Just because they had an immediate need at a position they drafted, doesn't mean that is the wrong thing to do.

Thats why the pick was arrogant, just like Willis McGahee was an arrogant pick when you already have Travis. Yes, he'll need time to develop and will not contribute much for a 1-2 years. Meanwhile, we have a massive hole at LT after trading Jason peters and a decent guy on the board to fill it...Michael Oher. Imagine if our young OL included Levitre (who made big strides already this year), Wood (who was developing) and Oher...pretty bright future right? Instead Maybin has been watching Kelsey/Denney all year...real productive.

For the most part draft choices (unless your picking top 5, or maybe 10) are project players and not suitable for NFL play right out of the gate. There is no way to know who is going to be a stud before the draft and that is why guys like Tom Brady fall to the 6th round.

The one thing that bothers me about the Bills choices are they draft guys that are more projects then others and with the sub-par coaching staff the ruin these players for their careers.

Look at guys that were highly recocnized out of college or should have had better careers and continue to struggle because our team/coaching staff sucks.

JP Losman

Aaron Maybin

Willis McGahee

Chris Kelsey

Trent Edwards

John McCargo

Paul Pozlauzny

Donte Whitner

Ashton Youboty

I have no doubt that with good coaches, or even better then aweful we would have been able to make some of these guys better.

I guess the good thing now is that we can hope we have a real coach that comes in here at the end of this season and develop some of these young guys like Maybin, Poz, Whitner, Possibly Trent if its not too late.

The other guys are gone or its too late to make them anything in this league. They have already been coached long enough to play like Dick acts. They are done for life in the NFL IMO.

You draft for the future, not for immediate need. Just because they had an immediate need at a position they drafted, doesn't mean that is the wrong thing to do.

Drafting Maybin at #11 was an a-hole decision. That's why we suck, personnel moves like that. We should have taken either Orakpo or Oher....period. And I was saying this before the draft. When Modrak said prior to the draft that they would consider a situational player, I knew that meant Maybin and was pissed then. He may turn out to be good in a few years, just the wrong pick this year at #11 with our needs.

The only way Maybin was going to get playing time was if Schobel did not come back from his injury or if they moved him to linebacker. He is too light to be a left defensive end. In that sense he was a bad pick. An offensive tackle or a linebacker would have been someone who could have immediately had an impact because the Bills had bigger holes in those spots.

Thats why the pick was arrogant, just like Willis McGahee was an arrogant pick when you already have Travis. Yes, he'll need time to develop and will not contribute much for a 1-2 years. Meanwhile, we have a massive hole at LT after trading Jason peters and a decent guy on the board to fill it...Michael Oher. Imagine if our young OL included Levitre (who made big strides already this year), Wood (who was developing) and Oher...pretty bright future right? Instead Maybin has been watching Kelsey/Denney all year...real productive.

how was the pick arrogant? Hell it wasn't even ignorant... :ph34r: