Peter King's MMQB

LABills08

God dammit PK. I did the same thing last night, no joke. I threw in all DE's and OLB's from rounds 1-4.

team player games played starts tackles sacks FF interceptions

KC Tyson Jackson 12 11 17 0 0 0

Seattle Aaron Curry 12 11 56 2 2 0

Buffalo Aaron Maybin 12 0 11 0 0 0

WashingtonBrian Orakpo 12 12 40 7 0 0

Houston Brian Cushing 12 12 102 1.5 2 3

SD Larry English 12 1 21 2 1 0

Denver Robert Ayers 11 0 15 0 0 0

GB Clay Matthews 11 8 29 5 1 0

Pitt Evander Hood 12 0 6 0 0 0

Carolina Everette Brown 11 1 16 1.5 2 0

NYG Clint Sintim 7 0 10 1 0 0

Houston Connor Barwin 12 0 12 2.5 0 0

Cleveland David Veikune 10 0 0 0 0 0

Baltimore Paul Kruger 4 0 4 0 0 1

Arizona Cody Brown (IR) 0 0 0 0 0 0

Dallas Jason Williams 2 0 1 0 0 0

Cincinatti Michael Johnson 12 0 15 2 0 0

Oakland Matt Shaughnessy 12 0 16 2 0 0

Detroit DeAndre Levy 12 12 63 0 1 1

NE Tyrone McKenzie (IR) 0 0 0 0 0 0

Chicago Henry Melton 0 0 0 0 0 0

Dallas Victor Butler 12 0 13 3 1 0

TB Kyle Moore 4 0 3 0 0 0

Dallas Brandon Williams (IR) 0 0 0 0 0 0

Atlanta Lawrence Sidbury, Jr. 12 0 4 1 0 0

Oakland Slade Norris 1 0 0 0 0 0

Thats why the pick was arrogant, just like Willis McGahee was an arrogant pick when you already have Travis. Yes, he'll need time to develop and will not contribute much for a 1-2 years. Meanwhile, we have a massive hole at LT after trading Jason peters and a decent guy on the board to fill it...Michael Oher. Imagine if our young OL included Levitre (who made big strides already this year), Wood (who was developing) and Oher...pretty bright future right? Instead Maybin has been watching Kelsey/Denney all year...real productive.

Good points and I can't really argue. But DE was perceived as a bigger need during the draft than it turned out to be. If Maybin got a full camp in, who knows what the roster might have been. I won't have been surprised if Kelsay or Denny were cut. Also, there were a lot of questions surrounding Oher and he was thought of as more of a RT anyways. They also really like Bell.

As for the Willis comparison, I get that point but again, I suspect they were expecting more out of Maybin (and a full training camp) this year. And you never can have too many pass rusher.

This pick strikes me more like how the NBA draft is. High schoolers and foreigners tend to get drafted higher than multiple year college players because of the perception of how high their ceilings may be. Maybin is going to be a boom or bust pick. I wasn't thrilled with the pick but it's silly to rush to judgement after a season.

Have you ever once not made excuses for anything ever?

Get off my sac. Sorry I don't spend my time on a Bills board just whining and complaining. God knows this board is filled with people like that. And despite what you think, not everything is right or wrong or black and white. The fact is

Maybin is freaking 21 years old and missed a NFL training camp. If you honestly are ready to call him a bust at this point, you're a complete moron.

Once again, Maybin is the 2nd youngest player in the NFL. Not saying he will but if he turns into a Freeney type player, would anyone care about a bad rookie season? I sure as hell won't.

a #11 pick in the entire draft should at least show a glimmer of something....so I think we blew it...

-on the other hand I hope you are right.I hope I'm wrong.

Hmmm...while I am disappointed with Maybin's 2009 contributions and he would not have been my pick, he was considered the better prospect compared to Orakpo by many, and more importantly, in judging any player you have to look at their 5 year contribution, not their rookie year. Which is also why drafting inferior players to fill needs will keep you inferior because they might not be your need in year 3 or 4 or 5, but they won't be as good as the better player.

Don't get me wrong, year 1 counts among what their 5 year contribution is, but it is usually the smallest and not ever what I think a draft should be about. I know it is a different position, but Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, and others sat their entire first year. I would love to have some more Orakpo and Patrick Willis, etc. from our first round picks, and don't defend at all our front office's handing of things, but I am quicker to judge the drafts from previous years than decide whether Maybin was a mistake 12 games in.

If you continuously have smart football guys (we don't) making decisions about which players they think will contribute the most over their first five years draft after draft after draft, everything works its way out, and you fill in needs with free agency.

Hmmm...while I am disappointed with Maybin's 2009 contributions and he would not have been my pick, he was considered the better prospect compared to Orakpo by many, and more importantly, in judging any player you have to look at their 5 year contribution, not their rookie year. Which is also why drafting inferior players to fill needs will keep you inferior because they might not be your need in year 3 or 4 or 5, but they won't be as good as the better player.

Don't get me wrong, year 1 counts among what their 5 year contribution is, but it is usually the smallest and not ever what I think a draft should be about. I know it is a different position, but Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, and others sat their entire first year. I would love to have some more Orakpo and Patrick Willis, etc. from our first round picks, and don't defend at all our front office's handing of things, but I am quicker to judge the drafts from previous years than decide whether Maybin was a mistake 12 games in.

If you continuously have smart football guys (we don't) making decisions about which players they think will contribute the most over their first five years draft after draft after draft, everything works its way out, and you fill in needs with free agency.

by whom??