Hey, did anyone see ProBowler Jason Peters today?

The Senator

Pat Williams is the only player the Bills have lost that is truly worth his salary. He's also the only one who could have a significant in pact with the team's win/ loss record. Pat Williams is the biggest mistake this franchise has made in the last decade IMO.

true-- a huge mistake....but how many guys play that well at his age?? he was 33 going on 34 when he left.Who woulda guessed he had 5 great yrs left?? And people are whining about Stroud getting old at 31.--Lets not repeat that mistake. DTs last longer than DEs cuz its strength more than speed as we know

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to conveniently ignore the fact that Levy had taken a huge gamble by signing a guy who was a project player to a good sized extension already. Or the fact that all 32 teams had passed on him 7 times. I mean I guess it was to much to ask for loyalty to be a 2 way street huh?

The Bills could have paid Peters his worth a long time ago. Instead, led by their inept GM Marv Levy, they did the following:

1. Kept Peters' contract the same even though he moved from right to left tackle

2. Signed Derrick Dockery to the richest contract in Bills history (note: he sucked and was cut a few years later)

3. Signed Langston Walker to a massive contract.

Essentially Peters was the 3rd highest player on his own line. A few years later, Peters gets pissed and orchestrates his ticket out of town. Dockery and Walker are cut. The Bills are in the basement of the AFC East.

Thanks, Marv.

Well, I wasn't really arguing that. I was more arguing that by this time last year the well had been poisoned and the dye had been cast. Marv really had no idea what he was doing as GM, no argument there.

Way to conveniently ignore the fact that Levy had taken a huge gamble by signing a guy who was a project player to a good sized extension already. Or the fact that all 32 teams had passed on him 7 times. I mean I guess it was to much to ask for loyalty to be a 2 way street huh?

In order for it to be a true two way street, it cannot be that one side goes out of its way at one point and the other side is then indebted forever.

The Bills relationship with Peters initially did feature such a give and take with the Bills. It started out pretty even steven with the Bills rescuing him from being a UDFA but Peters doing the Bills a return favor as well as he picked them over several offers he apparently attracted when surprisingly to many observers he was not drafted.

There proceeded after that a series of on field achievements by Peters which the Bills rewarded by giving him a bigger role and eventually a huge contract extension when he won the RT job.

However, its my sense that Peters may an extensive step up in terms of onfield achievement in that he not only proved to be good enough to be awarded the LT job when we signed him at an RT wage.

Peters not only won the RT job but proved to be good enough to take the key cover the QBs blindside and often be paired against the opponents best sacker.

Arguably the Bills might have simply skated by without giving him an additional award because he won the LT job, a little rude not to pay for his key play but its a business.

However, when he not only won the LT job but was honored as one of the best in the NFL with a Pro Bowl berth, it strikes me as not only fair if the Bills had given him a big raise in a reworked deal but rewarded this extraordinary achievement with another extension.

In the end it is true that Peters became a malcontent, but IMHO the Bills started this toxic affair.

Why shouldn't a player be loyal when his team had already signed him to 1 above market contract extension?

It was hardly above-market. Not to mention, he was paid like a young right tackle with promise. When he became an elite left tackle, he deserved to have his contract renegotiated. That's just the reality of the NFL. Players are not going to settle for less than their market value. Instead of spending $ on goons like Dockery and Whitner, the Bills would have been better served paying Peters.

Yeah, remind us again how this organization can't keep it's good players. Like we don't already know. Pat Williams is playing like sh*t tonight. Where is Antoine? Clements? Who needs him. We can got 4-12 without em'. Maybe even 5-11! Good to see you are supportive of management though.

he was playing lights out when I was watching. not sure where you were. should have made him play out his contract, just like last year. stupid bills..

So you wanted management to pay Clements a top maybe 25 CB 10M per year? That is not money well spent. Peters was not going play here for the 7-8M they offered him per year and was not good last year and would have held out again and not played well. He is often injured and certainly if this year is any indication will NOT play up to his contract.

The biggest mistake was letting Pat Williams go and that was Donahoe....for basically not wanting to pay him...the Vikings ended up paying him a little less than 1M a year more than the Bills offer. He is still playing at a great level and this defense over the last decade could have been much better with a guy like him consistently in there.

Front office made some mistakes but if you think Peters and Clements are playing anywhere near the level of their contract that just is not true.

Exactly.

Big Pat should not be part of the equation. I disagree on Winfield as well, and would also add Fletcher to the list.

Peters, for all of his crying, is not worth his contract. Clements has the best agent in the league, because he ain't worth it. His deal reminded me of the Jonas Jennings deal. I remember thinking "Good luck with that one, San Fran...he'll be injured in a week."

Big Pat, Winfield, and Fletcher have led their defenses since leaving the Bills.

It was hardly above-market. Not to mention, he was paid like a young right tackle with promise. When he became an elite left tackle, he deserved to have his contract renegotiated. That's just the reality of the NFL. Players are not going to settle for less than their market value. Instead of spending $ on goons like Dockery and Whitner, the Bills would have been better served paying Peters.

How is not NOT above-market when it's the highest contract in LT history? Never mind the fact that players making 1/3 what Peters makes are outplaying him. The Bills mistake was not replacing Peters in the draft. They stole Philly's draft picks and left the Eagles a fatass who won't play with a hangnail and still gives up sacks. If it were the Bills you'd be screaming how stupid we were for overplaying this tub of lard.

PTR

You're the king of whining and hindsight.

Well if players EXPECT a raise for switching positions, I guess we can expect Butler to hold out next camp. :thumbsup:

You're the king of whining and hindsight.

And you are the Matt Millen of TBD.

Your opinions have been so WRONG the past few years, that you really need to re-invent yourself rather than be the snide prick you have always been.

Millen used to specialize in calling out players for not being tough or hard working, or even smart enough. Now he's just all warm and fuzzy because he has no credibility. Try it. Maybe people will forget how you attacked anyone who didn't think that Jauron was as good as Belichick....he just wasn't lucky enough to have Tom Brady. Yeah, you really need to be calling people out.

Well if players EXPECT a raise for switching positions, I guess we can expect Butler to hold out next camp. :thumbsup:

Butler is hardly an elite player. Peters had established himself as one of the up and coming tackles in the league.

Nice try though.

And you are the Matt Millen of TBD.

Your opinions have been so WRONG the past few years, that you really need to re-invent yourself rather than be the snide prick you have always been.

Millen used to specialize in calling out players for not being tough or hard working, or even smart enough. Now he's just all warm and fuzzy because he has no credibility. Try it. Maybe people will forget how you attacked anyone who didn't think that Jauron was as good as Belichick....he just wasn't lucky enough to have Tom Brady. Yeah, you really need to be calling people out.

... what he said :thumbsup:

Butler is hardly an elite player. Peters had established himself as one of the up and coming tackles in the league.

Nice try though.

Bwahahahahah! You're right. Butler has yet to allow 11.5 sacks in one season. He's a long way from being in Jason Peter's league.

PTR

Bwahahahahah! You're right. Butler has yet to allow 11.5 sacks in one season. He's a long way from being in Jason Peter's league.

PTR

Yeah I guess you're right. Brad Butler is better than Jason Peters. :thumbsup: I suppose Poz is better than Flecher too? McCargo is better than Pat Williams?

Typical homer mentality is to revel in former Bills' struggles and somehow make it justify the front office's ineptitude. Peters may be having a subpar year, but the Eagles personnel department (one of the best in the business) felt he was worth surrendering a first round pick for. Who's right: Russ Brandon (the marketing genius) or the Eagles, perennial playoff contenders. The same goons on this board were laughing their tail off when Winston Justice had a horrible rookie year for the Eagles.

A few years and a 5-year extension later, he has developed into a solid right tackle. With him and Peters, the Eagles have a solid foundation on the line. The Bills, at least have Donte Whitner who hosts weekly pizza parties.

The Bills could have paid Peters his worth a long time ago. Instead, led by their inept GM Marv Levy, they did the following:

1. Kept Peters' contract the same even though he moved from right to left tackle

2. Signed Derrick Dockery to the richest contract in Bills history (note: he sucked and was cut a few years later)

3. Signed Langston Walker to a massive contract.

Essentially Peters was the 3rd highest player on his own line. A few years later, Peters gets pissed and orchestrates his ticket out of town. Dockery and Walker are cut. The Bills are in the basement of the AFC East.

Thanks, Marv.

This post IMPLIES in point #1 that Peters should have gotten a raise when he switched positions. Well, Butler also switched positions.

This post IMPLIES in point #1 that Peters should have gotten a raise when he switched positions. Well, Butler also switched positions.

If you need to be explicitly told that Jason Peters is in a different class of player than Brad Butler, there isn't much more I can do for ya :thumbsup: