Revenue sharing is history in the NFL

sullim4

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4718965

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was fined at least $100,000 in September for violating a gag order by suggesting that revenue sharing was on its way out.

Turns out, he was only tipping the owners' hand.

In a significant move that could impact the flow of money to potential free agents and the competitive balance of teams, the NFL has notified the players' union that, effective next March, owners will pull the plug on the $100-million-per-year revenue-sharing program that has subsidized lower-revenue clubs, multiple sources said.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is over rated,....as long as the 32 teams split up the TV Money, we'll be OK

The NFL splits up TV revenue equally among all 32 teams. IIRC, each team receives 116M. Still, I can see the loss of revenue sharing resulting in RW/Littman cutting back somewhat on players and coaches.

Jerry Jones apparently will not be satisfied until the NFL consists of ~8 teams that together, in his dreams, earn as much as the current 32 combined. That, to go with $50 8-oz. cups of beer and $400 pizzas.

The day the NFL stops being widely geographic (and as such, there is a system in place to support this wide geography) is the day it starts to die.

People do not cheer for/support sports teams far away from anywhere they've ever called home.

Squeeze the neck on the goose Jerry. Keep wringing ever harder and it's sure to pop out golden eggs faster and more frequently. <_<

Keep sharing the TV revenue and keep a salary cap in place and I think the league will be in good shape.

What the league desperately needs though is a pre-determined rookie pay scale. The fact that teams are forced to pay millions to kids that have never taken a snap is ridiculous.

Note this line:

The $100 million fund is part of $6.5 billion in revenues shared by all clubs.

The NFL is removing 100 million dollars from a 6500 million dollar fund. Nobody would freak out if you heard the NFL was reducing revenue sharing from 6.5B to 6.4B. It still hurts us (we could qualify for up to about $8M in funding through this thing), but it's not going to wreck us altogether. Look for the league to try to shrink the players' portion of revenues with this in tow.

It always amazes me when you have a business model that is wildly successfully and has the market completely unto themselves yet always wants to find a way to stray away from the formula that brought them all of their prosperity.

I'm not saying this happens all at once, but it is a culmination of all the little changes that eventually erode all of the hard work that made them into a success in the first place.

The NFL has been the most stable and entertaining sport for a long time but somehow the greed of a few could really change the product that brought them into the dominating position that they are in today.

I for one would avoid the NFL like the plague if it turns into a football version of MLB.

Bottom line this is Jones, Snider, Kraft and a couple others trying to make it where only their teams can compete. I can't believe Jones etal can get enough votes from the mid tier and lower tier teams to get this to pass.

A rookie cap needs to be in place this next CBA pronto.

It always amazes me when you have a business model that is wildly successfully and has the market completely unto themselves yet always wants to find a way to stray away from the formula that brought them all of their prosperity.

I'm not saying this happens all at once, but it is a culmination of all the little changes that eventually erode all of the hard work that made them into a success in the first place.

The NFL has been the most stable and entertaining sport for a long time but somehow the greed of a few could really change the product that brought them into the dominating position that they are in today.

I for one would avoid the NFL like the plague if it turns into a football version of MLB.

Precisely. Goodell is going to go down as the Commissioner that oversaw the decline of the NFL. Losing this money, in and of itself, doesn't make the Bills (for ex) less competitive; but it's another nail in the small market team's collective coffin. It's already hard enough to compete for top name FAs and coaches. Now, you're taking money away from the small market teams. While pushing for more games/teams overseas. While pushing for a team in LA, as though we need 4 teams in CA. While making new billion dollar stadiums the norm. While steadily increasing the salary cap. While trying to extend the season, which means more players which means more salaries. The path the NFL is heading down is not good for small market teams and the competitive nature of the game. And, I didn't even mention the subjective nature of the refs of recent years.

Note this line:

The NFL is removing 100 million dollars from a 6500 million dollar fund. Nobody would freak out if you heard the NFL was reducing revenue sharing from 6.5B to 6.4B. It still hurts us (we could qualify for up to about $8M in funding through this thing), but it's not going to wreck us altogether. Look for the league to try to shrink the players' portion of revenues with this in tow.

It's the first domino my friend. Nobody freaked when Hitler rearmed a disarmed Germany...nobody thought much when he amassed troops at the boarder....so, he steamrolled Poland - no big deal....the rest was history. Those who do not learn from it are doomed to repeat it. I know this is nothing this like rise of the third reich, but revolutionary change starts under the radar. The undercurrent you need to pay attention to is the league is slowly being handed over to the power owners...

If this is true - barring ownership sympathetic to the area, the team is done in WNY....

This revenue sharing was only new to the last labor deal and only required because of a salary cap taking account such revenues. The TV deals is what really led to revenue sharing and unless these deals become regional, which ain't going to happen, this isn't necessarily a death knell for this franchise in Buffalo.

Bottom line this is Jones, Snider, Kraft and a couple others trying to make it where only their teams can compete. I can't believe Jones etal can get enough votes from the mid tier and lower tier teams to get this to pass.

A rookie cap needs to be in place this next CBA pronto.

It may just be posturing by the league regarding them wanting a new CBA by

causing "financial insecurity" for some clubs.

And yes, a rookie cap is much needed in the NFL. A poor draft pick can hamstring

your salary cap. I say earn your pay.

It's the first domino my friend. Nobody freaked when Hitler rearmed a disarmed Germany...nobody thought much when he amassed troops at the boarder....so, he steamrolled Poland - no big deal....the rest was history. Those who do not learn from it are doomed to repeat it. I know this is nothing this like rise of the third reich, but revolutionary change starts under the radar. The undercurrent you need to pay attention to is the league is slowly being handed over to the power owners...

Hitler already?

Talk about overkill...

People do not cheer for/support sports teams far away from anywhere they've ever called home.

Not that I disagree with your point, but just wanted to note that back in the days before there were any teams south of DC and east of Dallas, (Dolphins, Bucs, Jags, Titans, Texans, Falcons, Panthers ... did I forget anyone?) the Redskins were the pro football team of choice for many people who lived in the south. Their fight song was changed from fight for old "Dixie" to "DC" later on.