Obese air passenger in economy seat has picture taken

erynthered

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are we so !@#$ing worried about offending people?

It smacks of "colored only" restrooms, waterfountains etc. I would not want to see us return to those days.

As I said, I understand that as a practical reality something must be done. However, the devil is in how it gets handled. Are you going to have a "if your ass does not fit" (like the ones that are used to measure carry on bags) display out at the ticket counter to measure people?

Just so you know I have a 33 inch waist and would not be considered overweight so this issue is in no way personal to me.

It smacks of "colored only" restrooms, waterfountains etc. I would not want to see us return to those days.

Eating Ho Hos and fettuccine alfredo never made anyone black.

Almost every fat person got fat due to their own choices, despite certain genetic proclivities.

As I said, I understand that as a practical reality something must be done. However, the devil is in how it gets handled. Are you going to have a "if your ass does not fit" (like the ones that are used to measure carry on bags) display out at the ticket counter to measure people?

That's exactly what they should have. I've been in seats where the fat !@#$ next to me rested their side flab on my thigh. !@#$ that. Pay for the extra seat. I paid for mine--not yours.

Almost every fat person got fat due to their own choices, despite certain genetic proclivities.

And you have scientific proof of this where exactly.....?

Not just, "Ho hos are bad for you," but some real, double-blind experiments and research.

Just so you know I have a 33 inch waist and would not be considered overweight so this issue is in no way personal to me.

it is not even CLOSE to the old days of segregation. no one is saying they cant use the plane at all, or that fat people are an inferior race and sub-human. Simply that space is limited and if you are bigger than what can be accommodated normally, you have to pay for extra space.

no one is saying fat, or large, people CANT fly. but they should not become a burden on other passengers who have paid good money for their seat and shouldnt have someone else taking up half of their seat.

i dont have a problem with having a row of seats somewhere in the terminal and requesting that certain people make sure they fit before they board, or else they purchase a second seat. and if that embarrasses someone, stop stuffing your face with that third helping from KFC.

also, im 480 pounds, so no one can think im a jerk for saying this :cry:

Ahhh...so you are one of those "I wanna be fat people"? I know your kind.....My cousin wanted to be fat once......ONCE!

Ahhh...so you are one of those "I wanna be fat people"? I know your kind.....My cousin wanted to be fat once......ONCE!

:cry:;) I defeat my quest to achieve largess by working out every day and limiting my intake of high calorie foods (with the exception of alcohol) .... the error of my ways.

Eating Ho Hos and fettuccine alfredo never made anyone black.

Hard to argue this one ... but who knows maybe it contributed to Michael Jackson becoming lighter skinned.

Do you suggest that every addict is one based on their choices?

The issue of obesity and its causes is far more complex than you seem to want to acknowledge.

Expecting people to pay for the space they are taking up smacks of "colored only"?? :cry: Pass the crack pipe.

Are you going to have a "if your ass does not fit" (like the ones that are used to measure carry on bags) display out at the ticket counter to measure people?

Why not?

Expecting people to pay for the space they are taking up smacks of "colored only"?? :cry: Pass the crack pipe.

I was pointing to the isssue of how you determine who must pay additional not the fact that they will. Return to the other statement I made - I agree from a practical standpoint that something must be done.

There is a slippery slope here - who decides what and acceptable "girth" is? The f'in airlines that already cramp your legs? The government? Where else should the standard apply? (can't fit your ass in a movie seat, bus seat etc.)

Keep in mind I am suggesting that the issue is not as simple as it appears on the surface.

Keep in mind I am suggesting that the issue is not as simple as it appears on the surface.

Good luck with that. Almost everyone around here thinks it's an easy solution - eat a salad, case closed. As a culture, we're not allowed to bash based on religion, ethnicity, etc, etc. But weight, for whatever reason, is culturally accepted and promoted. :cry:

Yes. Thats an excellent idea.

Hell, I usually pay extra for extra legroom and an aisle seat just to be comfortable on airlines. My money, my choice. No way in hell I'm dealing with encroachment from Fatty McButterpants next to me.

Almost everyone around here thinks it's an easy solution - eat a salad, case closed.

Not sure if it is still true but some time ago the salad with dressing was one of the highest calorie items on the McDonalds menu. Seems they loaded the dressing up with additives that made it very high in calories. So while Mcd's is not the most logical place to go if you are trying to maintain a healthy weight - even if you thought you were making a "good choice" it was in fact a very bad one (assuming you dumped the dressing on the salad).

The planes should be outfitted with 2 oversize seats somewhere on the plane that are mainly used for obese passengers only. If there are no obese passengers on the plane then the seat can be used by others only after it is determined that there is no obese passengers on the plane. Kinda like how the larger stall is being used today for handicap people in bathrooms.

Hello ... Newman.

Figures you'd be more sensitive to larger people's plight.