Obese air passenger in economy seat has picture taken

erynthered

im sorry, but where does your

do you reeeeally think that someone so well versed in nutrition would disagree with what we are saying regarding eating less, eating healthy, and being active?

is that what you are arguing?

Try hooked on phonics - it can work for you!!!!

I suppose in a way, that's true. But it's not just about willpower, which is what most in this thread seem to believe. It's a MUCH more complex issue than, "Don't eat it," especially since food companies are doing their best to re-wire your brain to force you to eat more. The entire issue, taken as a whole, is not black and white.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see... Who is more believable, a Harvard-trained doctor, lawyer, medical school dean and former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration.....? Or a random poster on a message board who says, "It's easy!!!! D'uh!!!!' :cry:

So tell me, bills_fan, how much training in brain chemistry have you had to know that it's not really a problem? ;)

Yeah, and that's why everyone in this country is obese.

I suppose in a way, that's true. But it's not just about willpower, which is what most in this thread seem to believe. It's a MUCH more complex issue than, "Don't eat it," especially since food companies are doing their best to re-wire your brain to force you to eat more. The entire issue, taken as a whole, is not black and white.

It's harder to not eat the egg roll but guess what: The person still has to drive to the restaurant, make his mouth sound out the order, and push the food in his mouth. There is lots of room for free will and choice. People love to blame someone outside themselves for their problems but in the end, the mirror is nicely suited to show who's to blame.

It takes willpower for me not to eat ****ty foods. Welcome to life.

Let's see... Who is more believable, a Harvard-trained doctor, lawyer, medical school dean and former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration.....? Or a random poster on a message board who says, "It's easy!!!! D'uh!!!!' :thumbsup:

So tell me, bills_fan, how much training in brain chemistry have you had to know that it's not really a problem? <_<

Don't misunderstand me, I said "for most," not "all." There are folks with legitimate weight issues due to neurophysical problems.

However, *again* for most *again* the effects can be greatly mitigated by consuming less calories than one burns in any given day. Furthermore, eating healthy all natural food rather than processed crap full of additives and preservatives will help tremendously. Not saying every girl will be a size 6 or every dude an adonis, but those simple actions will greatly reduce the chances anyone gets fat and signficantly help an individual lose weight.

I am certainly not discounting the scientific findings of a researcher other than saying "don't" eat that stuff.

Well, I AM a medical professional, and there is a significant factor here that none of you guys has addresed...

A large majority of the overweight people I care for in the hospital simply don't give a flying poop! I had a 34 year old guy admit to me once that he knew he shouldn't have allowed his BP to stay at 220/130 for ten years, but he didn't like the fact that BP meds made it more difficult for him to get an erection. Guess what? Now he's in chronic renal failure and will be on dialysis 3x per week the rest of his life.

It's the same with fat people....most of them just don't care enough about the consequences to do anything about their problem. You see the same thing with smokers. We're required to at least offer smoking cessation teaching to all smokers we admit to our floor, and if I had a dime for how many times I heard "eh, we're all gonna die of something!", I'd be a rich man.

Whenever it comes to making improvements in our health, it all starts with the proper motivation. If it's not there, it just ain't happening.

It's hard to win in the NFL.

It's hard to lose weight in the United States.

Why is this always such a sensitive issue? It IS as simple as Dank is making it. Stop eating crap and get off your ass. Don't blame some voodoo marketer for being fat because he tricked you into eating an egg roll! Take some !@#$ing responsibility!

holy crap - that guy isn't just obese he's a giant. He's a foot taller than everyone else in sight. Can he play DT?

Which is what makes me think the photo is not as it seems. In my limited airplane experience, the armrest on the end of the aisle seat doesn't go up. Where is it in this picture? Did it go the way of Dick Jauron in the team photo? Or is they guy just sitting on it because he is waiting for the lady coming down the aisle to get back to her seat (the empty window seat in his row)?

Which is what makes me think the photo is not as it seems. In my limited airplane experience, the armrest on the end of the aisle seat doesn't go up. Where is it in this picture? Did it go the way of Dick Jauron in the team photo? Or is they guy just sitting on it because he is waiting for the lady coming down the aisle to get back to her seat (the empty window seat in his row)?

In addition, it looks like there's an entire empty row behind him.

Its the individuals choice. Stop being a lazy ass and go exercise, and eat decent food. Fatasses aren't suffering from addiction, they are suffering form laziness.

I am all on board for airlines making a fatass requirement where they measure someones jabba the hutt frame and make you buy 2-3 seats to fly. If this embarasses said fatass, good. Maybe they'll be proactive about losing weight to prevent future embarrassment.

Its the individuals choice. Stop being a lazy ass and go exercise, and eat decent food. Fatasses aren't suffering from addiction, they are suffering form laziness.

I am all on board for airlines making a fatass requirement where they measure someones jabba the hutt frame and make you buy 2-3 seats to fly. If this embarasses said fatass, good. Maybe they'll be proactive about losing weight to prevent future embarrassment.

This is what they said about cigarettes too. But in the end marketing campaigns using cartoon camels proved to be at fault. In the food industry it is slightly different but basically the same. Marketing whizzes make up "words" like yummy and scrumptuous. These "words" kick off neurons in the ear which make people salivate like Yakov's dog. After that it is just a matter of time until it's off to the bakery.

I can see the case for airlines charging extra but the passengers should not have to pay. The food companies should.

The airlines should also charge less for skinny people to be fair. Karen Carpenter should have been practically free.

Well, I AM a medical professional, and there is a significant factor here that none of you guys has addresed...

A large majority of the overweight people I care for in the hospital simply don't give a flying poop! I had a 34 year old guy admit to me once that he knew he shouldn't have allowed his BP to stay at 220/130 for ten years, but he didn't like the fact that BP meds made it more difficult for him to get an erection. Guess what? Now he's in chronic renal failure and will be on dialysis 3x per week the rest of his life.

It's the same with fat people....most of them just don't care enough about the consequences to do anything about their problem. You see the same thing with smokers. We're required to at least offer smoking cessation teaching to all smokers we admit to our floor, and if I had a dime for how many times I heard "eh, we're all gonna die of something!", I'd be a rich man.

Whenever it comes to making improvements in our health, it all starts with the proper motivation. If it's not there, it just ain't happening.

I was buying into this crap until the bolded part. On your web show you look like you could be a medical professional because of your short hairdo and glasses.

When I got to the bolded part I realized you made this up. First of all, if he was so fat, how would he even know he had an erection? And renal failure? Eating tons of food can make you fat but I doubt it hurts your eyesight.

You should read this book:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9042602711.html

For those who don't like reading:

Combine that with:

So in essence, the food companies are doing what the tobacco companies do -- put additives into their food to help re-wire the brain to make it crave the unhealthy food, regardless of whether the body is hungry or not.

The difference between the tobacco companies and the food companies are that people NEED to eat to survive. Everyone eats, food is everywhere, especially in this country. Look at a regular American office - people bring in donuts for early meetings, have food in their cube to share with coworkers, many companies give away free pop. Peer pressure relating to food is everywhere -- heck, I had a business meeting yesterday where I was the only person who didn't order soup, and they gave me crap for it. My understanding is that in other countries, this is not the case. The book mentions that in France, for example, people are shocked to hear that people bring donuts into a morning business meeting. Oliver, care to comment?

Say what you want, it's NOT as simple as "don't eat bad food."

French people would be shocked if people brought in donuts because they all like frilly girly foods like crescents and other supposedly fancy stuff like frog legs and snails. Plus they like to keep their image of being the rudest people on the planet so they never share.

After we get rid of fat people on airplanes can we start working on getting rid of people that bring their screaming babies on board without a pacifier

+1

LOL...Yep.

Really obese people can't ride rollercoasters. Saw that this summer multiple times at Hershey Park. Immense fat f*ck gets in seat, bar won't close, high school kid has to tell immense fat f*ck that they cannot go on ride, immense fat f*uck gets all pouty and holds up the ride for everyone else before finally exiting.

Why should flying be any different?

Not that I don't agree... But... On the other hand, flying is transportation that takes people and items from point A to point B usually FOR NECESSITY.

Planes were modeled on the passenger norm years ago. Obviously that size norm is getting bigger through society. Are they eliminating seats and making more room? What I am saying is, who says the original norm was just. Look at how people have gotten taller through the centuries. Bed-makers obviuosly didn't keep making a standard size bed, no, they made them bigger.

So... Shoot me now. Americans are getting bigger... Eliminate seats and raise prices. Also for the really large, have a few XL seats and charge for them... One pays more for clothing when it coomes to certain sizes.

Not that I don't agree... But... On the other hand, flying is transportation that takes people and items from point A to point B usually FOR NECESSITY.

Necessity?? Please. People fly for pleasure or convenience.

Planes were modeled on the passenger norm years ago. Obviously that size norm is getting bigger through society. Are they eliminating seats and making more room? What I am saying is, who says the original norm was just. Look at how people have gotten taller through the centuries. Bed-makers obviuosly didn't keep making a standard size bed, no, they made them bigger.

Isn't that up to the airlines to decide?

I was buying into this crap until the bolded part. On your web show you look like you could be a medical professional because of your short hairdo and glasses.

When I got to the bolded part I realized you made this up. First of all, if he was so fat, how would he even know he had an erection? And renal failure? Eating tons of food can make you fat but I doubt it hurts your eyesight.

I have to disagree with you on that. Have you ever seen a fat persons face? There is so much face fat on them there eyes get squishy. It's kind of like having cankles, except it's on your face.