Did you enjoy your first Bills game?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday, December 3rd, 1995. Candlestick Park.

I might be wrong, but I think that was the game where Justin Armour made an amazing -- and I mean amazing -- diving catch in the back of the end zone. It was forgotten because of the fumble debacle.

Early Nineties in Miami on Monday Night. Kelly leads the team back to win, late. Me and 80 of Buffalo's finest continue to drink until the wee hours. Yes I enjoyed it thoroughly! The whole weekend was too much. Well almost too much, you know, one thing I ain't never had is too much fun.

11/8/1970, at the Rockpile - I had just turned 8. OJ Simpson injured his knee on a kickoff return in the first half. Our seats were behind the Bills bench and he was carried off right in front of us. We lost 43-14 and didn't win another game all year.

So you Rosened OJ?

My first game was in 1981 at "Rich" Stadium back then....Bills vs Patriots. Ferguson throws a hail mary pass to Roland Hooks for the game winning touchdown. My Dad and I were sitting right in that end zone section. Great first experience!! I was 9 years old...

I was at that game, and the only and last game I will ever leave early. That game was so cold you couldn't feel your hands or feet, and a good portion of the crowd was leaving early-including me. Next thing we knew, there were about 200 people around a guy with a little transistor radio listening to the Hail Mary pass in the parking lot of Rich Stadium. Like I said, it doesn't matter on the weather, the score or anything else, I haven't since and never will leave a sporting event early now because of that game.

Oh man....great thread. I don't remember much because I was 8 years old. My dad took me to see a game against the Bengals at the Rockpile in 1970. We lived within walking distance of the stadium back then. We got killed but it was a great father/son day. I miss that guy. :cry:

I remember watching that game at the Cabanna Inn in Sarasota Fla. One of the 1st Bills Sports Bars down here, back when the Dishes were HUGE & they had to search for the game.

I remember that play. Bills fans were going wild and the camera panned to George's mother who was at the game. The look on her face was a mix of horror/anguish and anger.

I forget the exact year but it was the early 1990's. It was the Indianapolis game where the Bills were down by a good margin in the first half but came back to win it in the second. Kelly had been on a major slump before this game and at halftime they announced that for every TD Jim threw they would donate money to some orphanage or something. As soon as they announced that almost the entire stadium shouted something to the effect of "Yeah, Right." My best friend followed that up with "those is gonna be some hungry kids."

I took my best friend and my roommate. My dad and his wife were there too. My roommate had gotten sickeningly drunk the night before and had a huge hangover. When the band came out at halftime he started screaming "Make it stop! Make it stop!" while covering his ears tightly with his hands. My stepmother seemed horrified by that site.

It was raining and fortunately I thought ahead and I stayed completely dry during the game. :cry:

Wow I was at that game too, as a little kid. We were down 17-0 early, but came back and won. I don't remember the final score tho. That was my 2nd Bills game.

First game I went to was in 1989 vs. the Jets, we won 34-3. I think it was the "much-anticipated" return of Chris Burkett to Rich Stadium after defecting to the Jets. I was 8 years old, good times.

Oh man....great thread. I don't remember much because I was 8 years old. My dad took me to see a game against the Bengals at the Rockpile in 1970. We lived within walking distance of the stadium back then. We got killed but it was a great father/son day. I miss that guy. :cry:

That's the same one I posted about yesterday. And I was 8 too!

September 25, 1983 vs. the Houston Oilers

Joe Cribbs exploded for his best rushing game in a Bills uniform. Dueling Houston Oiler legend Earl Campbell, Cribbs beat out Campbell 166 yards to 142. Buffalo built a slim 16-13 lead going into the 4th. Joe Ferguson hit Frank Lewis with a 19 yard TD to put the Bills up 23-13. Oiler QB Gifford Nielsen drove the Oilers to the Buffalo 13, when DE Ben Williams forced a fumble. Dave Kilson picked up the loose ball and drove the final nail in the Houston coffin with an 87 yard TD return with 38 seconds left.

BTW, I still have my #20 Joe Cribbs t-shirt!

October 9, 1976... first game after Lou Saban quit on Ralph Wilson for the second time. I was 9. Bills got crushed by Bert Jones and the Colts, 31-13. OJ caught a TD pass, which was cool. Speaking of cool, temp dropped rapidly in the second half, leading to wet rain and snow flurries (on October 9!). Almost caught hypothermia, and came down with a terminal case of Bills addiction. Watched and listened to many more games with Dad in the next 22 years before his death, but never did attend another one in person with him. It hurts to think about that.

Season opener in 1986 against the Jets. Kelly's 1st game. Kelly kept tripping over Hull's feet. Exciting game, but couldn't get the ball back for the offense. Don't remember his stats but couldn't stop Al Toon.

Gentlemen, I want to thank you for the stories and the memories. Your sharing has been the most interesting I have read in a long time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bills fans truly are special and our emotional investment in the Bills has not been without its rewards. Thanks for the uplift. :cry:

Gentlemen, I want to thank you for the stories and the memories. Your sharing has been the most interesting I have read in a long time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bills fans truly are special and our emotional investment in the Bills has not been without its rewards. Thanks for the uplift. :cry:

And to think you were just asking "bilsflippinrule" about his experience......So, is he still alive or what?

September 25, 1983 vs. the Houston Oilers

Joe Cribbs exploded for his best rushing game in a Bills uniform. Dueling Houston Oiler legend Earl Campbell, Cribbs beat out Campbell 166 yards to 142. Buffalo built a slim 16-13 lead going into the 4th. Joe Ferguson hit Frank Lewis with a 19 yard TD to put the Bills up 23-13. Oiler QB Gifford Nielsen drove the Oilers to the Buffalo 13, when DE Ben Williams forced a fumble. Dave Kilson picked up the loose ball and drove the final nail in the Houston coffin with an 87 yard TD return with 38 seconds left.

BTW, I still have my #20 Joe Cribbs t-shirt!

I was at this game, too. On leave transferring from Goodfellow to Berlin with the AF. Mom treated my brother and me to a Bills game and Pizza afterward. End zone seats.

I can't remember.

It was either November or December of 1987. I had just relocated from So. Cal to Buffalo in mid October and my friends at work wanted to "convert' me from baseball to football. I hated football. Being a big Aussie Rules fan - I was frustrated by the slowness of the game - all the breaks in the action and all that padding!

But I went anyway because the ticket was free and they invited me to tailgate - figured if I drank enough I could almost enjoy the game. I don't know who we played but it was damned cold.

It was something about the fever of the fans and the blue collar people who were so refreshing after all the fakes in So. Cal.

It reminded me of the same kind of fever and incredible team loyalty that I had experienced in Australia. Felt like I had "come home".

The Bills won that game and they hooked me......I still feel that loyalty and fever every time I go back for the home opener.

At Rich Stadium on November 29, 1987, against the stinkin' fish. Jim Kelly threw a pair of TDs and Dan Marino was picked off three times. I had no voice at the end, when the Bills won 27-0 in what I believe was the first time Miami had been shutout in some ridiculously long period of time.