Did you enjoy your first Bills game?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey billsflippinrule, what happened when you went to your first Bills game? Tell us the story.

December 26 1993, New York Jets, still trying to thaw out to this day. For a kid that grew up on the Gulf Coast of Alabama it was the coldest I had ever been and the most clothing I had ever put on at one time, one of the things I remember most is the drive over from Rochester seeing big rigs overturned on the median of the interstate, and hearing over and over on the radio the announcement that alcohol didn't really keep you warm.

December 26 1993, New York Jets, still trying to thaw out to this day. For a kid that grew up on the Gulf Coast of Alabama it was the coldest I had ever been and the most clothing I had ever put on at one time, one of the things I remember most is the drive over from Rochester seeing big rigs overturned on the median of the interstate, and hearing over and over on the radio the announcement that alcohol didn't really keep you warm.

I remember that game. I took my dad to it for his birthday present. I was in college at the time. I remember it was like 6 degrees out that day & it was back when the whole stadium had those metal bleachers & we were basically sitting on ice & snow. I remember after the first quarter, my dad looked at me, I looked at my dad with icecycles hanging from his mustache & at that moment he said what any good father would say given similar circumstances "lets get the f*ck out of here". & with that we went over to illio's & got some pizza/wings/beer. One of the best decisions we both ever made.

I forget the exact year but it was the early 1990's. It was the Indianapolis game where the Bills were down by a good margin in the first half but came back to win it in the second. Kelly had been on a major slump before this game and at halftime they announced that for every TD Jim threw they would donate money to some orphanage or something. As soon as they announced that almost the entire stadium shouted something to the effect of "Yeah, Right." My best friend followed that up with "those is gonna be some hungry kids."

I took my best friend and my roommate. My dad and his wife were there too. My roommate had gotten sickeningly drunk the night before and had a huge hangover. When the band came out at halftime he started screaming "Make it stop! Make it stop!" while covering his ears tightly with his hands. My stepmother seemed horrified by that site.

It was raining and fortunately I thought ahead and I stayed completely dry during the game. ;)

1988 vs. the Jets at Rich Stadium. I went to the game as a Jets fan (being 9 years old and born in NYC, and also finding an easy way to piss off my father.) I left as a Bills fan, after Fred Smerlas blocked what would have been a game winning field goal, and the Bills won in overtime to clinch the AFC East for the first time since 1980.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/21/sports/b...east-crown.html

11/8/1970, at the Rockpile - I had just turned 8. OJ Simpson injured his knee on a kickoff return in the first half. Our seats were behind the Bills bench and he was carried off right in front of us. We lost 43-14 and didn't win another game all year.

1988 vs. the Jets at Rich Stadium. I went to the game as a Jets fan (being 9 years old and born in NYC, and also finding an easy way to piss off my father.) I left as a Bills fan, after Fred Smerlas blocked what would have been a game winning field goal, and the Bills won in overtime to clinch the AFC East for the first time since 1980.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/21/sports/b...east-crown.html

Having attended that game, where we passed the goal posts up to Ralph, I can see why you left as a Bills fan.

Mine was December 10, 1989...Bills v. Saints. I remember having a great time, even though Dalton Hilliard ran all over us and we lost the game. The seats were frozen over but the stadium was packed in and we were excited as hell to be there.

Oct 1st 1990

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. Denver went from near-certain victors to sudden losers Sunday as the Broncos, who have lost leads late in their last three games, collapsed again during a 29-28 Buffalo victory. The Bills (3-1) scored three touchdowns in a 1:17 span in the fourth quarter.

Hey billsflippinrule, what happened when you went to your first Bills game? Tell us the story.

October 31, 1971 in the Rockpile. Dennis Shaw was QB. OJ in the backfield with Braxton. I was a kid so I don't remember too much except that they lost (which they did a lot that year).

Oct 31, 1971 at the Rockpile versus St. Louis Cardinals. I remember the "obstructed" view seats where you had to look around a support pole :censored:

Several blocked field goals, a Bobby Chandler touchdown and Jim Hart (old fav) QB for the Cardinals. The downer play was an Alvin Wyatt punt return for TD while we were in the men's room.

My first game was 1963 at Shea Stadium in NY. I saw Cookie Gilchrest destroy the jets defense and have been hooked ever since. My family had season tickets to the Jets as I live in NJ but have remoained loyal to my Bills ever since. I will never forget how nobody could stop this monster runner. Just got back from the Bills game vs the Dolphins and also went to Jet game at the Meadowlands earlier this season so I hvae 2 wins, 2-0 so far this year. I travel once a year to upsate NY to see my guys and great fans and atmosphere, that is for sure.

My first game was in 1981 at "Rich" Stadium back then....Bills vs Patriots. Ferguson throws a hail mary pass to Roland Hooks for the game winning touchdown. My Dad and I were sitting right in that end zone section. Great first experience!! I was 9 years old...