LOST...Season 6

duey

Question: the shots of the empty plane crash after the bright light ending, was that supposed to be an actual shot of the crash showing that no one survived?

No. I'm not sure what the point of that shot was because it has done nothing but confuse people. Don't get confused, they survived the plane crash. The island wasn't purgatory or hell or the afterlife in any way.

Didn't quite know what to make of that myself. The wreckage was originally washed out to sea by incoming tides.

I think we need to at least entertain that they all did die in the crash... and that their time on-island was a psychic extra and happened on another plane of being. Real for their consciousnesses, but in terms of our corporeal human world, I dunno. But Christian's line seems to wrap that when he said that time didn't really exist in the sideways/purgatory world, but that some of the castaways died before and some died "long after" Jack. So it would seem that the O6 and the finale's Ajira passengers did get back to what we call the real world.

And I'll just say that for myself, I have to believe that Kate and Sawyer stayed together when they got back. It might have taken some time to develop, but I really can't see them with anyone else, or living separate lives where they wouldn't see each other, all that they'd been through. Claire, we imagine, would go back to Australia and try to raise Aaron?

Also, imagine Richard trying to live in the real world. He'd been off-island three times, the most recent in 2004 to scope out Juliet's sister for Ben. No papers, no SS#, no birth record (one that'd read he was 200+ years old)... what does he do? Probably will visit Isabella's grave, OK. I guess the one constant he'd face is an intractable Catholic Church.... Wonder too how fast his aging process will be, as it was hinted that the "gift" from Jacob expired.

Just a little miffed why they would make that the final scene. What did it mean? (Then again, it was just a credit rollover photo.)

I think it was a really cool, original way to end this show. In many finales we learn what characters did in the rest of their lives. "This one became a X and had 6 children..." but here, we get to fill in for ourselves what became of those who got on the Ajira plane, Hurley and Ben, and we know the rest of their eternity. Or is it their eternity? Will they one day be stepping through the bright light of the doorway?

I'm going to have to go back and watch that mobisode that showed suit-Christian in the few minutes before the opening shot of the show, where he tells Vincent to 'wake up my son.' Same tie as he wore in the church last night?

Yes, it is.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely loved it!

I too got choked up when Vincent laid down next to Jack. Also when Jack sees the plane fly overhead. Then, after it was over I was thinking about some of the scenes and I remembered Hurley telling Sayid that others don’t get to decide for you if you’re a good person or not—it’s up to you to decide who you are. That struck me as having not only huge significance but big emotional power too.

Just beautifully done in my opinion. A great tribute to all the characters we came to care about so much.

For all those who griped about the Light a couple of weeks ago, how 'bout them apples?! The reason why it worked tonight was because it was established there. And it also made it pretty clear that this was not about all the Island Protector stories that came before or after. Hurley & Ben's little exchange suggests they were on the island for a long time and had their own war stories. As Jimmy Kimmel said tonight, this was Jack's story, his fixing Jacob's mistake (and we needed to see Jacob's mistake to get a line on what Jack needed to fix). Fixing is what Jack does.

Let's get something straight: The writers created a legion of breadcrumb trails that lead nowhere. That's annoying.

The only reason it "worked" last night is because the characters where satisfied with what was happening. From a storytelling perspective, that's good. But they did not give answers to some of the biggest questions. For example, not a person here can explain the island light and stopper. Or the island itself. Or the Dharma initiative. Or the flash forward season. Or the Others. Or Jacob and MIB and guardians. Or the smoke. Or what the pre-church sideways world was all about. Or what was Jack doing at the end in the bamboo forest (seemed to be gearing up for the Island part of the show to start again, not end). And on and on.

I enjoyed it, only because I felt like the characters were pleased. The scenes where the satisfied people were meeting each person who had yet to be enlightened were really sweet and full of love. Each of those was touching, the best for me being Sun and Jin seeing Sawyer.

And I maintain, more than ever, that Green Day's "Time of Your Life" fits like a glove on this series.

So make the best, of this test

And don't ask why.

For what it's worth,

It was worth all the while

It's something unpredictable

And in the end there's right.

I hope you had the time of life.

Need to learn how to make a flash movie and compile some screencaps.

Good morning all...

Here I sit in my office, sipping what's going to be just one of many cups of coffee today as I try to stay awake after a short and fitful nights sleep.

I woke up this morning feeling, first and foremost, sad. As the last few minutes ticked away last night, I reflected for a moment on what was about to end. I became emotional not only because of the poignant scenes and storylines, but because of my feeling of loss. Six years we have been blessed by this show. To not have another season or another episode to look forward to...to no longer be able to rely on seeing our friends each week...I know I never felt this way about another show ending and I doubt I ever will.

I feel very satisfied with how things ended. It was a steady and even-paced episode where we weren't really shocked by anything (I wasn't anyway), but I was made to smile and sigh with contentment often. The "reunion" scenes were beautifully acted, filmed and scored. Each being so unique and so emotional. It feels so right to have had each of those couples come together for their final journeys.

A few other random observations:

Michael Emerson brought his curtain down on Ben Linus in amazing fashion. His scenes in the creek with Hugo and then outside the church with Locke were captivating and a honor to watch. Ben apologized to John was a beautiful moment of redemption.

I loved the person that Locke became after his surgery. So at peace with himself.

When asked by Hurley how he was going to take care of the island, Ben’s response of “Do what you always do. Help people” in a few words summed up Hurley’s character for the entire show. All he ever did was help and care about people. He never did a thing out of malice or selfishness. That is why it seems even more appropriate that he be the protector of the island rather than Jack.

Vincent coming out of the jungle and making it so Jack didn’t die alone was great…my wife really lost it at that point. I’ve read a few places that Vincent actually represented God as he was with many people at the times of their deaths. I don’t know about that…I can’t remember and I also doubt something so significant would be made to appear so random.

I loved Rose telling Des that basically, “After you finish breakfast you have to get the f&%! out because all you and your people do if f%$! things up. Then sure enough, here comes trouble times two! LOL

Favorite funny line of the night…a Sawyer line of course when he picks up the walkie talkie and calls over “Hey Chesty…what’s going on?”

The thing that struck me was that we were watch two stories end last night. For five seasons, the show focused on one primary storyline. Then, at the start of this season, and entirely separate storyline began. Looking back, I'm amazed that we were actually following two stories this season, each as important as the other. And last night, these two stories both ended. It's like the sideways story was a spin-off within the main show itself.

I've already read a few headlines by where the episode was called “disappointing” or a “let down.” Rubbish. I think too many people are too used to neat and tidy endings like in the movies. This was an epic show, with more storylines and plot twists then any show in history. Did everything get tied up with a bow and handed to the viewer with all questions answered…of course not. But a viewer who has accepted the show as the uniquely told tale that it is will likely look at the finale as something that brought closure to the heart of story…and will of course give us all something to chew on for months and years to come.

That’s it for now…lot’s more discussion to come!

Let's get something straight: The writers created a legion of breadcrumb trails that lead nowhere. That's annoying.

The only reason it "worked" last night is because the characters where satisfied with what was happening. From a storytelling perspective, that's good. But they did not give answers to some of the biggest questions. For example, not a person here can explain the island light and stopper. Or the island itself. Or the Dharma initiative. Or the flash forward season. Or the Others. Or Jacob and MIB and guardians. Or the smoke. Or what the pre-church sideways world was all about. Or what was Jack doing at the end in the bamboo forest (seemed to be gearing up for the Island part of the show to start again, not end). And on and on.

Why do we need every single question answered? Is it because we've become so accustomed to simplistic stories with neat and tidy endings? I don't understand why so many people have a laundry list of unresolved issues and are so incensed that about it. Do you also feel screwed over because you don't know what happened to Frank, Kate, James, Claire and Miles after they got off the island? To me it's the same thing. Just accept that some things are part of the story and that the writers don't owe us any further explanation.

I probably felt like you do early in the series but eventually I came to respect what was being given to us so much that I'm more than willing to take it all as it comes.

wow, still in a post-LOST haze it seems. just signed in from work, eager to read what everyone had to say, but it's obvious that i'll have to wait since I started to tear up when reading UConn's first paragraph about Vincent. went to bed thinking about LOST, dreamt about LOST, and woke up with my head swirling and a pit in my stomach.

I'm not sure if I want to talk more about the show and what happened on and to the Island, or the emotions and philosophy of it all.

I think I need to stay away for today and come back this evening. As absolutely ridiculous as it sounds, I'm not sure I can handle talking about it right now. :blush:

I enjoyed it, only because I felt like the characters were pleased. The scenes where the satisfied people were meeting each person who had yet to be enlightened were really sweet and full of love. Each of those was touching, the best for me being Sun and Jin seeing Sawyer.

If you haven't gotten enough clues to fit a good deal of that stuff together for yourself, then that's your thing. As someone who's always been more focused on the island mysteries than the characters, I'm pretty damn satisfied with what we got.

You know, as I've written before, it seems apparent that we're not meant to get all the answers about the Light and what the Stone stopper was. If you believe Jacob's cork example, it was Hell, the devil, bad things that needed to be capped to keep them out of the world. Desmond himself could barely handle exposure to the Light's properties. The smoke monster was a form of electromagnetic energy that was MIB's, for lack of a better word, soul, and similar to how he inhabited Locke's body, the Smoke inhabited MIB's consciousness (one that couldn't die b/c of the rules Mother had made). Make no mistake, I don't think the Smoke Monster / Cerberus is gone --- it was around before MIB, and it would always have the chance of being released again by people who wrecked upon the island, which is why Hurley and those after him needed to stay. What we've seen is all we'll get from what the Protectors do. If that isn't enough for you, well, tough luck.

As for the Others and the DI, those were entities that needed to exist to push our castaways to where they needed to be. They fulfilled Jacob's plan, they laid the groundwork for much of what happened. Hatches, supplies, they cleared the Ajira runway from the jungle.... It was not shown, but I would guess that a brief visit from Jacob is what started the DI... much the same as Widmore said Jacob visited him shortly after the freighter explosion and explained what needed to be done. Once Jacob's ideas left his mouth, tho, people were on their own in how to fulfill them. That was his style.

I'm a little miffed. You give some large concepts of things you're not satisfied with. The Flash Forward season didn't give answers.... in what way? What in particular didn't have an answer about that? It was a storytelling conceit. Happens a lot in fiction.

Jack died where his island journey started. It wasn't a reboot for the crash to happen again or something. It was a visual 'full circle.'

The sideways world? That was a kind of purgatory where these people all needed to form a link with a constant in order to cross over. How was it created? Was it a working of Jacob? Jack? Is it God's waiting room (and to borrow from "Contact" this purgatory does appear to use imagery from places they knew in the real world)? We don't know, b/c it's beyond the human mind to understand. This is where it gets a little religious-y, but not of any particular religion, or religion as we know it at all. Religion is just a means to explain what will happen, this in particular what will happen when we die.

Like I wrote, if you don't get it, then it's your thing. It's kind of like an Impressionist painting, and you want to see a 10MB photograph so you can zoom in, enhance and enlarge something in the background. Well, this show can't really help you with that.

Yes, the Jin-Sun & Sawyer meeting in the sideways world was a great touch of them realizing their connection to Sawyer and not sharing the in-joke.

Why do we need every single question answered? Is it because we've become so accustomed to simplistic stories with neat and tidy endings? I don't understand why so many people have a laundry list of unresolved issues and are so incensed that about it. Do you also feel screwed over because you don't know what happened to Frank, Kate, James, Claire and Miles after they got off the island? To me it's the same thing. Just accept that some things are part of the story and that the writers don't owe us any further explanation.

I probably felt like you do early in the series but eventually I came to respect what was being given to us so much that I'm more than willing to take it all as it comes.

I am fine with not everything being answered, but it's not satisfying that most and even the most important questions are not answered. It was OK that the Sopranos didn't show what happened to Tony in the diner. But we knew what the point of the show so leaving that one detail open was not the end of the world.

Basically, no one can explain the point of LOST. Or the island. Or the sideways. No one. It's not like all they left open was why some people didn't get into the church or weren't ready...they left open the biggest questions. We spent multiple season with Dharma. No one knows WTF that is. We spent seasons teased by Others. No one can explain them. There's a stopper in an evil opening. No one knows WTF that is. Sideways is...who knows? Flash forwards were...who knows?

It's not as if *some* of the breadcrumb trails led to home...they almost all lead to nowhere.

And the only thing that makes it OK is that the writers made the characters OK with it.

Maybe the writers shouldn't have promised those answers all season long, eh?

As for the Others and the DI, those were entities that needed to exist to push our castaways to where they needed to be. They fulfilled Jacob's plan, they laid the groundwork for much of what happened. Hatches, supplies, they cleared the Ajira runway from the jungle.... It was not shown, but I would guess that a brief visit from Jacob is what started the DI... much the same as Widmore said Jacob visited him shortly after the freighter explosion and explained what needed to be done. Once Jacob's ideas left his mouth, tho, people were on their own in how to fulfill them. That was his style.

Let's just stick with one thread of questions and answers to keep it simple.

So if the Dharma and Others were part of Jacob's plan, who's Jacob? And what is his plan. And what is the Island vs. what is Sideways? Is the Island real in our universe or some after-life? Were Dharma people from here or afterlife? And if from here, how did they interact with dead Oceanic 815 people?

Not attacking but guessing anything you post will be speculation. And that's just one of the gigantic plotholes left open.

I would like to be able to look back and see things in previous seasons and say, "Aha, that's why taht strange plot twist now makes sense." But really, you can't do that much.

Why was the Island on the bottom of the ocean?! Come on man: There were a lot of friggin' HUGE things completely unexplained.

....among the profound 'quotes' and/or scenes last night, at least for me:

(a) Eloise when asking (very protectively) Desmond if he is here to take her son and he replies "Yes, but not with me....." - that was an amazing interchange that revealed a lot and helped me resolve a lot about the show. Great.

(b) Agree that the scene with Sun, Jin, and Sawyer in the hospital room - what a compelling scene.....and they left without touching.......and with the audience hoping/expecting that touch and then to realize they withheld the touch so he could touch Juliet......another epic moment.

© When Locke tells Jack that he "does not have a son......" the look on Jack's face spoke a million words.

(d) Any scene with Kate in it last night.....she delivered an award winning performance - mostly without words.

(e) I think the scene with the aircraft wreckage, after the light, was not really part of the show.....I think it was a panning shot from the 'show' to 'us' - with no link to the storyline........a powerful 'nod' to the imaginations of all for us to ruminate over in perpetuity - for us to make our own story.

...that is all for now.....whew

Why was the Island on the bottom of the ocean?! Come on man: There were a lot of friggin' HUGE things completely unexplained.

Wait, what was this? Do you mean why was it going to sink to the bottom of the ocean? Was this a spinoff of Spongebob?

I just think they wasted a lot of time developing stories in the "sideways" world.

That time should have been spent with the Island situation. Like someone said, they should have somehow shown what kind of horrific damage the smoke monster would do if the Island was destroyed and he escaped. Like if he escaped from Atlantis in ancient times and completely wiped out Ancient Egypt/most of humanity (just a random idea)

Why do we need every single question answered? Is it because we've become so accustomed to simplistic stories with neat and tidy endings?

Let's make one thing clear. No one is asking for an epilogue where the characters explain the whole show at the end. But as good as LOST was, it's a fair criticism to ask why all the plot threads that lead nowhere? In fact I accuse some of you of being so in love with the show you gloss over some significant flaws in the telling of the story.

If LOST was, at its core, the story of Jack's redemption, it could have been told just as beautifully and poignantly in 2 or 3 seasons. In fact knowing how it all ends, you could lose all of Season 2 and not miss a beat. LOST was great TV for a number of reasons, not least of which was the acting of Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson. Even Matthew Fox and Evangeline Lily displayed some depth and showed that they were better than some of the one-dimensional performances of the past. But it's not unfair to ask why the shows creators made us follow through endless wormholes that, in the end, did not matter.

It may not be the writers fault. We know that LOST was not green-lighted for 6 seasons early on. Perhaps they had to change gears with the story arc several times. I know that happened with one of my favorite shows Babylon 5. My criticism does not take away from the fact that LOST was the kind of television we rarely get on the big 4 networks. It was awe-inspiring nonetheless.

PTR

I am fine with not everything being answered, but it's not satisfying that most and even the most important questions are not answered. It was OK that the Sopranos didn't show what happened to Tony in the diner. But we knew what the point of the show so leaving that one detail open was not the end of the world.

Basically, no one can explain the point of LOST. Or the island. Or the sideways. No one. It's not like all they left open was why some people didn't get into the church or weren't ready...they left open the biggest questions. We spent multiple season with Dharma. No one knows WTF that is. We spent seasons teased by Others. No one can explain them. There's a stopper in an evil opening. No one knows WTF that is. Sideways is...who knows? Flash forwards were...who knows?

It's not as if *some* of the breadcrumb trails led to home...they almost all lead to nowhere.

And the only thing that makes it OK is that the writers made the characters OK with it.

Dude...the bottom line is that each person saw the show a little differently and as such has differing opinions about how it ended. I loved the show, appreciated the intricacy of the storylines, and am very satisfied with how it ended. You see things differently and that's fine. But I do feel it's a bit of a shame to be more focused on what you didn't get out of it rather than what you did.

In fact I accuse some of you of being so in love with the show you gloss over some significant flaws in the telling of the story.

Six seasons...hundreds of different storylines...people came and people went...honestly, I'm shocked at what people consider flaws in the story-telling and what can just be left up for interpretation. I am in love with the story...but there's a big difference between "glossing over" and accepting things as they are and just enjoying the ride.

There are thousands of questions that weren't answered about this show...how did the Army find the island and why did they bring a bomb there...what was this disease that people were being innoculated against...what was the origin of the DI...where did all the characters take a crap...why didn't their clothes ever fall apart...when did they eat? I mean come on people...maybe you should take Rose's advice and let go. :blush: