LOST...Season 6

duey

And here's the Lost teaser from their Facebook group...

...the man who brought death to so many may face his demise. What role do you think the lie Ben uncovers plays into it?

Oh baby! I can't wait! :blink::D;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I just don't understand this sentiment. And you're not alone, I know a lot of people who are getting fed up because they aren't getting "answers." I say, what's the rush? There are 12 hours of this entire series left, and I've always enjoyed the slow unwinding, fan debate and theories, etc. If they started dropping answers left and right, it just wouldn't be the same show. If it ends and we're still left wondering WTF, then I'll be pissed, but for now, savor the mystery.

Well said!

Alex is HOT! :wallbash:

Good episode...more team-building. No great revelations...other than perhaps finding out that Richard seems to have arrived on the island via the Blackrock.

Great episode. I smell another Emmy for Michael Emerson. Curious how they show that cold cunning Ben Linus is capable of altruism in his parallel time line.

So MIB was choosing Ben as his protege? Is that what 6 years of staring at my TV with mouth agape boils down to? Is Jacob just as bad as MIB?

PTR

Good episode...more team-building. No great revelations...other than perhaps finding out that Richard seems to have arrived on the island via the Blackrock.

Biggest revelation for me is that, according to Richard, if Jacob touched you, you're immortal.

Am I the only one that recognized the principal as the guy Desmond replaced as the button pusher? All and all a pretty good episode as I've grown to think Ben is the best character on the show. As it definitely appears that sideways world is an opposite world. As this time Ben was taking care of his father and tried to keep him alive. This time he decided to not "sacrifice" Alex. Arzt being a co-conspirator for sideways Ben was funny. I was waiting for the nurse reveal though, as thought it might turn out to be Juliette.

Yet the things I took were as undonkey eluded to that if Jacob touches you afterwards one can not kill oneself. Also that Ben and his father did in fact go to the island with the DHARMA group but for yet elected to not stay on the island hopefully we'll find out why. Widmore finding the island sent a chill through my spine but elected not to interact with them was odd unless his plan is to meet up with MIB on the other island.

So MIB was choosing Ben as his protege? Is that what 6 years of staring at my TV with mouth agape boils down to? Is Jacob just as bad as MIB?

PTR

I think MIB feeds on or perhaps should say good at bringing in people to side with him when they feel they have no where else to turn and/or are all alone because they were let down by Jacob. Remember he went after Claire when she was alone and then he tried to recruit Richard but Richard knows better then to side with him. He then went after Sawyer and Sayid after they left all alone. Ben himself was ready to side with MIB too for said reason. As Ben stated better to side with MIB than die at the hands of Illana. Yet because she redeems him, Ben sides with her sort of like why Sayid sided with MIB.

Essentially given away when The MIB says to Richard, "nice to see you without your chains on" or something like that. At least for me, but I was looking for a connection between Richard and the Black Rock for some time now.

Great observation about the principal being the button pusher Jokeman!!!! You win the prize for the day!

Am I the only one that recognized the principal as the guy Desmond replaced as the button pusher?

Two totally different actors and characters. The principal was played by William Atherton (of Ghostbusters and Real Genius fame), while the button pusher, Kelvin Inman, was played by Clancy Brown (of The Highlander and Earth 2).

nice to see they were finally able to bring up Nikki and Paolo as barely relevant.

im wondering if they are going to bring the sideways flash and island time together, or if we are going to have s plit ending with a happy ending (light side) in the sideways flash, and a sad ending (dark side) on the island?...

not sure that Jacob touching you makes you "immortal" per se, or if it means that your now a soldier of the island and the island will decide if and when you die. kinda like your free will (MiB) has been taken away and you are completely in the hands of destiny.

Thought it was interesting that Jack seems to have reached a turning point of sorts toward becoming a man of faith with the dynamite on the ship. Dr. Shephard, man of science that originally boarded the plane, would have never done that in a million years.

The principal was played by William Atherton (of Ghostbusters and Real Genius fame)...

Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.

Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!

Mayor: Is this true?

Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true.

[pause]

Dr. Peter Venkman: This man has no dick.

:unsure::lol: :lol:

Thought it was interesting that Jack seems to have reached a turning point of sorts toward becoming a man of faith with the dynamite on the ship. Dr. Shephard, man of science that originally boarded the plane, would have never done that in a million years.

yeah, its good to see jack slowly turning. first with having faith in returning to the island, but that was when he was desperate and had no other choice. now, it seems like its starting to click that there is a higher purpose.

interesting that Jacob told Hurley at the lighthouse that Jack needed to see it because he has to do something extraordinary. wonder if that means sacrifice himself, or someone else, at some point.

or maybe it was so he would save Richard...

Two totally different actors and characters. The principal was played by William Atherton (of Ghostbusters and Real Genius fame), while the button pusher, Kelvin Inman, was played by Clancy Brown (of The Highlander and Earth 2).

Yeah I just checked LOSTpedia, I admit was wrong. I could have sworn I saw Atherton in a prior episode of LOST. Perhaps because I remember him full beard from Biodome and inadvertently connected him to Inman. As Atherton's character in Biodome was somewhat similar to Inman.

Remember when Michael couldn't die no matter what he did and then he finally blew himself up on the boat?

Is there any connection between the two stories and why was Michael able to off himself?

Yeah I just checked LOSTpedia, I admit was wrong. I could have sworn I saw Atherton in a prior episode of LOST. Perhaps because I remember him full beard from Biodome and inadvertently connected him to Inman. As Atherton's character in Biodome was somewhat similar to Inman.

no worries, i had to do a double take when he came on screen last night, as my first thought was that it was Kelvin too.

Remember when Michael couldn't die no matter what he did and then he finally blew himself up on the boat?

Is there any connection between the two stories and why was Michael able to off himself?

not sure which two stories youre referring to, but I believe that yes it was the same reason he could not kill himself. He had been touched, he was in Destiny's (Island/Jacob's) hands, and the Island needed him up until that point. So while he wasnt immortal exactly, no one could kill him until the Island allowed it.

Richard's connection with the Black Rock has been surmised for a long time, and was finally confirmed. Shades of Michael's character c. S4. Yet, Jacob didn't touch Michael (that we know of), so it doesn't seem like the touch has anything to do with not being able to die/kill oneself. The touch is something extra. Richard knows some things, but is every bit as clueless as to why he's on the island. Richard also seemed to believe that Jacob's appearance to Hurley wasn't Jacob.

To lay some groundwork, we're likely going to see this come into play further wrt Juliet. Not for nothing that they showed the Young Juliet scene in last season's finale, which featured Jacob's touch to certain other characters. I don't think they used several minutes of airtime just to reveal that Juliet's parents were divorced. To wit: I think when it's Juliet's time to come back, we're going to see her running out the door, and Jacob as, say, a UPS delivery man or something....

-----

But this ep was about Ben.... or, rather, Doctor Linus. Again, we get a reflection of the sideways centricity in the microwave door. A man who in the sideways world, gases his father all the same, only here, with oxygen. This is the world where Ben wasn't brought to the Temple pool. He seems to really care for his father, and his father cares about him. There's still the vestiges of the same childhood abuse --- there just seemed to be some distance last night indicative of that, which even the best relationship afterward can't ever bridge --- but it's a case where it stopped cold turkey and was forgiven. They left the island.

The central storyline was whether Ben would again chose to sacrifice Alex. She is not his daughter, has not spent time with him outside of their classroom / history club lives. Yet he still cares deeply for her well-being. Again, people who've had a close bond in the original timeline also have one in the sideways world. And, this time, shunning his personal ambitions, Ben chooses to get Alex into Yale. But just as much was an undercurrent of these ambitions. From Dr. Linus' mention of Elba and Napoleon, and MIB offering to leave Ben in control of the island when everyone leaves. Ben is ready to go with MIB in order to live.... But, Ilana "will have" him. Ben isn't interested in power if he has to make this unholy alliance.... But wait. This is Ben we're talking about.

Per Lostpedia's "Dr. Linus" entry:

Ben says that when he stabbed Jacob he was angry, confused and terrified that he was about to lose the only thing that had ever mattered to him - his power, but the thing that really mattered was already gone. In this he contradicts his first statement that he 'sacrificed everything for Jacob' and is finally honest.

In the original timeline, it was control over the island that really mattered to Ben. Alex was #2.

What a look that was of Ben when Hurley, Jack and Richard came back to the beach for the reunion. Sun's reaction, the music, seemed almost pitch-same of one we've seen before. Ben is distanced from the rest, now a shrunken shill of a man, he looked like a drowned rat. The last kid picked for dodgeball, with an exasperated "I'll have you" that was given more for the sake of another number in a headcount. But, let's face it, Ilana. Ben could do a lot of damage sided with MIB. Good move, for now. Richard also was a little ostracized from the group. They really don't know what to make of him. I believe the Richard-centric ep is 6.09.

Two things:

- It appears that Danielle has made it to the LA area in the sideways world. She "works two jobs just to make rent."

- Ilana said that Jacob "was the closest thing [she] had to a father. Hmm. Either she was on the island for a while, or Jacob developed a life off-island. I suspect the latter.... That when Ben took over (or perhaps before that), Jacob left the island and checked in with Richard via some other means. Richard would give Ben the "lists" and Ben never saw Jacob before he killed him. I don't know... but this could fit into my "Jacob was Adam Rutherford" theory.

Miles actually dug up the diamonds. Then again, that's Miles for ya! Did he also learn Nikki and Paulo's last thoughts? e.g. that they were just paralyzed and were buried alive?

The Widmore cliffhanger. Wow. Things change fast on this show.

I would amend that a little. I know that essentially, it's on par with the show's discussion of it, but I like:

Jack = Man of Fate.

Two things:

- It appears that Danielle has made it to the LA area in the sideways world. She "works two jobs just to make rent."

- Ilana said that Jacob "was the closest thing [she] had to a father. Hmm. Either she was on the island for a while, or Jacob developed a life off-island. I suspect the latter.... That when Ben took over (or perhaps before that), Jacob left the island and checked in with Richard via some other means. Richard would give Ben the "lists" and Ben never saw Jacob before he killed him. I don't know... but this could fit into my "Jacob was Adam Rutherford" theory.

Miles actually dug up the diamonds. Then again, that's Miles for ya! Did he also learn Nikki and Paulo's last thoughts? e.g. that they were just paralyzed and were buried alive?

The Widmore cliffhanger. Wow. Things change fast on this show.

great summary and notes as always James. I wanted to comment on just a couple things at the end of your post.

I'm almost thinking that Ilana was a child of the Island? That she was raised on the Island as one of Jacob's followers. Given the importance of his position as protector of the Island, and that Jacob seemed pretty at home in the foot, I'm not sure about him leaving the Island. Although we do see him off the island to "touch" the candidates, I'm not sure I'd believe that he setup a whole other life in the real world. Unless of course, the Jacob we saw touching the candidates was his OWN sideways flash Jacob! Maybe Jacob and MiB have been through the same thing our Losties have been, years and years beforehand. Having altered their timeline into a separate timeline, they CANT "go home" as MiB so badly wants.

Also, I think Miles said something along the line of "why would I need your money when two dummies named Nikki and Paolo were buried alive with $8mil in diamonds on them?" So yes, he figured it out.