Is It A Bad Thing For Us To Keep Winning Games?

H2o

If we keep it up and reach 7-9 again or maybe 8-8 is it really a bad thing? It will completely change our options in the draft. We could end up missing out on the guys who could make the immediate impact at the key positions we need. It also could complicate things for our coaching/GM search. I'm not really sure what I think about it right now. What do you all think?

Let me put it this way:

What kind of trophy do they hand out for winning the NFL draft?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we keep it up and reach 7-9 again or maybe 8-8 is it really a bad thing? It will completely change our options in the draft. We could end up missing out on the guys who could make the immediate impact at the key positions we need. It also could complicate things for our coaching/GM search. I'm not really sure what I think about it right now. What do you all think?

What I think is that they better draft 2 LBs among their first 4 selections. Preferably, one in the 1st round.

And I remain irked that they moved Wood to G. You have the opportunity to get a top college center, then you go and play and develop him there. Nuts. Dividends get paid down the road if he pans out. The vet Hangartner can make the calls from a guard spot...

I don't think so. Dumping Jauron and having P.F. in charge and seeing what the team has, making lineup changes,

seeing who can play. Players IMO should be looked at as auditioning for next year.

Also, if Ralph or the new G.M. doesn't completely clean house in the personnel department, having a high draft pick

won't matter much based on history. They should almost certainly trade down, which may hurt however.

changing the culture to a winning one (through wins) is more important than maybe having a better chance at drafting a particular player who may or may not end up stinking. The vast majority of the players on the roster will be back next year and we want them to know how to win games. Last year's 7 and 9 was worse than one this year would be since we basically lost all our games down the stretch last year and went into the offseason as a team that fell apart.

Some of you guys make me laugh. Maybe I will explain my point of view a little bit more. What I am getting at is that this could hinder alot of things that most people on this board were crying about just 2 weeks ago, before us hanging in there versus the 6-5 Jags and beating the 5-6 Dolphins (hardly the cream of the crop).

You guys were crying for a top notch coach or GM am I correct? If Fewell keeps winning games we will have him sticking around and his beloved "Tampa 2" defense that everyone is on board with. No Shanny, no Cowher, no Gruden, no Grimm, no one else but PF. This could be good if he shows the rest of this year that he's got what it takes, but at the same time we miss out on the "big name" that everyone is crying for. Also, if Fewell is to remain, it could complicate bringing in a GM who might want a guy more to his liking wearing the headset on the sidelines. That's a couple of issues.

Next up, the situations at OT and QB. We will likely miss out on the highest rated of the respective groups if we end up at 7-9 or 8-8. No Clausen, Okung, Cody, Locker, Dunlap, possibly Tebow, or whatever. We'll end up somewhere between 10 and 15 in the draft again just missing out on the guy that we need for this organization. Then again, who's evaluating the talent around here? Oh yeah. Now, on another note, does this bail Guy and Modrak out in Wilson's eyes if Fewell gets the most out of what he's got? That doesn't necessarily mean they are the guys we should have on this team, but Perry is making the most of the personel he has. I know that would greatly be appreciated by those who've been creating countless threads about who needs to go. :P

Do I not love the Bills, am I not a lifelong fan because I mention these things? Believe what you will and say what you want. I just look at the larger overall and refuse to drink the koolaid after a couple of DECENT performances against teams that are really in the same boat we are to a certain extent. If we go out and pound the Colts and Pats maybe I'll look at things a little different, but right now I'm just being a realist and looking at every angle to what's going on. I'd be happy if we ended up 9-7, but I also look at "glass half empty" side as well.

Depends, sometimes there really is a guy in the top five who is head and shoulders above the rest, most of the time the 12th guy is just as good as the 5th guy and is paid a lot less. I'd be more concerned with having a good gm, scouting staff, coaches, and a better strength and conditioning staff, young players making large gains in size and strength seem extremely rare for the Bills as compared to other teams.

This board is schizophrenic. If we win one game, we're going to the playoffs. If we win two games or more in a row, we're going to the Superbowl. If we lose, everyone on the team sucks and we need to replace everyone.

The only way Fewell gets a shot at being HC is if we go 8-8 or 9-7, and that's just a possibility, not a guarantee. Wilson & Brandon's top priority is bringing in a top tier coach. This is Wilson's last coaching hire, so he's gonna try to make it the right one this time around.

Some of you guys make me laugh. Maybe I will explain my point of view a little bit more. What I am getting at is that this could hinder alot of things that most people on this board were crying about just 2 weeks ago, before us hanging in there versus the 6-5 Jags and beating the 5-6 Dolphins (hardly the cream of the crop).

You guys were crying for a top notch coach or GM am I correct? If Fewell keeps winning games we will have him sticking around and his beloved "Tampa 2" defense that everyone is on board with. No Shanny, no Cowher, no Gruden, no Grimm, no one else but PF. This could be good if he shows the rest of this year that he's got what it takes, but at the same time we miss out on the "big name" that everyone is crying for. Also, if Fewell is to remain, it could complicate bringing in a GM who might want a guy more to his liking wearing the headset on the sidelines. That's a couple of issues.

Next up, the situations at OT and QB. We will likely miss out on the highest rated of the respective groups if we end up at 7-9 or 8-8. No Clausen, Okung, Cody, Locker, Dunlap, possibly Tebow, or whatever. We'll end up somewhere between 10 and 15 in the draft again just missing out on the guy that we need for this organization. Then again, who's evaluating the talent around here? Oh yeah. Now, on another note, does this bail Guy and Modrak out in Wilson's eyes if Fewell gets the most out of what he's got? That doesn't necessarily mean they are the guys we should have on this team, but Perry is making the most of the personel he has. I know that would greatly be appreciated by those who've been creating countless threads about who needs to go. :P

Do I not love the Bills, am I not a lifelong fan because I mention these things? Believe what you will and say what you want. I just look at the larger overall and refuse to drink the koolaid after a couple of DECENT performances against teams that are really in the same boat we are to a certain extent. If we go out and pound the Colts and Pats maybe I'll look at things a little different, but right now I'm just being a realist and looking at every angle to what's going on. I'd be happy if we ended up 9-7, but I also look at "glass half empty" side as well.

Wow, it's awful silent now. :P

Its not good if you are still Hell bent on getting a "Top Tier" Head coach.

If the Bills keep playing this way, they will be turning down Shanahan or whomever and be keeping Fewell as the Head Coach, and if he keeps this team playing like they are now, I'm 100% behind this. The real search should be for a true football guy to come in and at the very least, work as a team with Brandon as GM.

It is always goof to win......it amazes me how people are disappointed with wins. So you mean to tell me that if the Bills ran the table (exceedingly unlikely) you would be upset? What kind of fan is upset when they win?

The draft is a crapshoot anyway.....David Carr, Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, etc etc....

You can draft a great player as easily and with much better bang for the buck at 15 as you can at number 4 (remember Mike Williams?). So enjoy the season, enjoy winning again. I think it is MUCH better for the players on the team to expereince winning, know what it takes to win and get accumtomed to it. That FAR surpasses picking some 21 yr old at number 3 instead of 14 who you are giving 25M in guaranteed money to......gee that's not risky.

Let's go Bills. 8-8 is much better than 4-12 and gives the franchise something to build on and create a culture of winning!

You guys were crying for a top notch coach or GM am I correct? If Fewell keeps winning games we will have him sticking around and his beloved "Tampa 2" defense that everyone is on board with. No Shanny, no Cowher, no Gruden, no Grimm, no one else but PF. This could be good if he shows the rest of this year that he's got what it takes, but at the same time we miss out on the "big name" that everyone is crying for.

Do you really think anyone cares more about getting a big name than about winning?

And does anyone really think having a high draft pick with the current rookie pay structure is a good thing?

The top of the draft is filled with the same teams, year in and year out. I will take the 30th pick every year.

I agree, over the past 10 years or so, the Bills, Bucs, Lions, and alot of other perinnial bad teams draft what about 20 spots higher every single year than the Pats, Colts and a few other teams, yet their picks pan out and ours are busts. It is how you use the draft not what position you draft in.

I was rooting for us to lose games for the purpose of getting rid of Jauron, not for draft position, and I think this is valuable. Had we won 6-3 against Cleveland and beaten Tennessee, he would still be our coach and we would risk not getting the talented coach we need because Ralph wouldn't make a move. So those losses really did help our team.

But, as I have said many times and many others have said as well:

The experience of winning one of your 16 regular season football games for the 35+ players who will return the following season is more valuable than the positions gained in the crap shoot draft with an additional loss.

I am certainly rooting for other 3 and 4 win teams to pick up some extra wins so that our winning doesn't hurt us too much, but there have been so many impact players taken in the teen picks and so many busts in the top 10 (plus the money issue) that I don't think there is as much value as is perceived in being higher in the draft order. But there is definitely value to teams pulling out victories and working together and feeling good about things. So while some 1-15s lead to getting an Aikman or a Manning and righting the ship and winning a super bowl, many lead nowhere.

Tonight's quarterbacks Brees and Brady were taken lower then the UFL champion we used to follow.

As long as Ralph doesn't decide Perry is better than Shanny because of a strong finish, winning will help this team's future much more than losing would.

Do you really think anyone cares more about getting a big name than about winning?

And does anyone really think having a high draft pick with the current rookie pay structure is a good thing?

Have you ever read posts by members here? Yes they care about a "big name" cause thats the only way to win, and having a high pick will allow the Bills to keep trading down and accumulating more picks

What good has a high draft pick done for us this decade???

Agreed. It's not where you pick in the draft order, it's how well you draft. And unfortunately for Bills fans, the Bills haven't drafted well, overall. That's why the Bills need a front office that has a vision of what makes a winning franchise and picks talent accordingly.

Have you ever read posts by members here? Yes they care about a "big name" cause thats the only way to win, and having a high pick will allow the Bills to keep trading down and accumulating more picks

They care about getting a big name because they think it will help us win. I think people will be willing to forego a big name if we start winning with Perry. Especially if it means we can spend some of that $10 million earmarked for Shanahan on a free agent or two.

Trading down is a pipe dream. Nobody is willing to trade up and pay for a top ten pick.