Car's Broken - Looking for Ride to Miami Game

DieHardFan

Serious question: Can't you just walk to the nearest exit on the New York State thruway and hitch a ride? Wear a Bills sweatshirt or something. Some other Bills fan will spot you and pick you up.

You could probably do that here in Syracuse very easily with all the fans going (though maybe not tomorrow)!

Serious question: Can't you just walk to the nearest exit on the New York State thruway and hitch a ride? Wear a Bills sweatshirt or something. Some other Bills fan will spot you and pick you up.

You could probably do that here in Syracuse very easily with all the fans going (though maybe not tomorrow)!

Hitchhiking besides being illegal is dangerous. That is terrible advice.

Yes, hitchhiking is illegal, but I've seen people (not many) doing it as PH describes. What you could try is something similar, find a park-n-ride at the thruway exits and wait for people carpooling to the game. From Utica, figure they'd be leaving between 6-7am. I know one p-n-r I go by here in Syracuse on game day, there's always groups of fans meeting.

Yes, hitchhiking is illegal, but I've seen people (not many) doing it as PH describes. What you could try is something similar, find a park-n-ride at the thruway exits and wait for people carpooling to the game. From Utica, figure they'd be leaving between 6-7am. I know one p-n-r I go by here in Syracuse on game day, there's always groups of fans meeting.

Thanks for the thoughts guys (plus it's a nice bump). Not adverse to hitching there; it's the way back that would be the challenge.

Wanted to catch the BS ring presentation but if no offers come in I'll catch the game at home.

Oh how the times have changed. When I was in high school many times I asked my mom for a ride to work and she'd say she couldn't and told me to hitch. Yes mom. Never, ever felt in danger and met some very interesting people.

Oh how the times have changed. When I was in high school many times I asked my mom for a ride to work and she'd say she couldn't and told me to hitch. Yes mom. Never, ever felt in danger and met some very interesting people.

It is sad but we now live in a very paranoid society. (Although hitching probably isn't the safest of activities...)

When I was in high school, one of my good buddy's older brother was last seen hitchhiking. Has not been heard from since.

When I was in high school, one of my good buddy's older brother was last seen hitchhiking. Has not been heard from since.

Swap out hitchhiking with going to the grocery store and you could have the same result. There are crazies out there, always have been, always will be.

Swap out hitchhiking with going to the grocery store and you could have the same result. There are crazies out there, always have been, always will be.

Are you suggesting that grocery shopping is just as dangerous as hitchhiking?

Thanks for the thoughts guys (plus it's a nice bump). Not adverse to hitching there; it's the way back that would be the challenge.

Wanted to catch the BS ring presentation but if no offers come in I'll catch the game at home.

Hey, if Kerouac could do it... Then so can you... Then again, in On the Road, didn't it take him forever to leave NYS... Ended up blowing most his money on a train to Chicago... From there west, the hitching was easier.

:thumbdown:

Our neighbor down the street during the 1960's and 1970's would pick up hitchers all the time... She always said: "I hate to see those poor kids walking."

Whoever said that my generation is the "slacker generation"... Can't even hitch a ride by pre-boomer people that hate to see kids walk.

:thumbdown:

Are you suggesting that grocery shopping is just as dangerous as hitchhiking?

YES, I think that is exactly what he is suggesting. Preposterous.

His analogy would have been much better if he had said you could get hurt leaving your driveway while your wife was bashing your car with a 3 wood.

It is sad but we now live in a very paranoid society. (Although hitching probably isn't the safest of activities...)

:thumbdown::rolleyes:

What year did the movie: The Hitch-Hiker come out?

The Hitch-Hiker, 1953

Ya... Times have really changed alright... The only thing that has changed is that people now hear more about stuff in the media.

Like I said, my neighbor (lady) would always pick up people in the 1960's and 1970's... Even then she raised eyebrows.

YES, I think that is exactly what he is suggesting. Preposterous.

His analogy would have been much better if he had said you could get hurt leaving your driveway while your wife was bashing your car with a 3 wood.

I thought it was a 5 iron.