During the search for new leadership

BillsVet

It seems the Bills lack a cohesive plan or vision for where they want to take this team. IMO, much of this stems from the owner's advanced age and unfamiliarity with how the NFL works. Compare this with the Falcons situation not long ago.

At the end of 2007, Falcons owner Arthur Blank found himself with a coach who flat-out quit (Bobby Petrino), a QB who lied to him about dog-fighting (Vick) and a highly successful former HC who turned him down to be a GM elsewhere (Bill Parcells). Blank, one of the founders of Home Depot, didn't stop amid all these setbacks. He also realized that Rich McKay, his GM, wasn't doing him any favors and moved him away from personnel.

Blank then hired Thomas Dimitroff from NE, who in turn hired HC Mike Smith from JAC, who hired old Bills HC Mike Mularkey as OC from MIA. They drafted Matt Ryan and set about rebuilding a team that had been in the NFC Championship game a few years earlier. Atlanta went to the playoffs last season, and despite being 5-5 this year, has the makings of a solid team.

Blank had a vision, but didn't feel the urge to hire a big name guy when he was shot down. Instead, he hired no-nonsense and talented people who make football decisions. And while Buffalo doesn't have the challenges Atlanta had at the end of 07, the owner made good decisions that put his team in a better position. He didn't make rash choices, nor hired big names people and this is what the Bills should be doing right now.

It seems the Bills lack a cohesive plan or vision for where they want to take this team. IMO, much of this stems from the owner's advanced age and unfamiliarity with how the NFL works. Compare this with the Falcons situation not long ago.

At the end of 2007, Falcons owner Arthur Blank found himself with a coach who flat-out quit (Bobby Petrino), a QB who lied to him about dog-fighting (Vick) and a highly successful former HC who turned him down to be a GM elsewhere (Bill Parcells). Blank, one of the founders of Home Depot, didn't stop amid all these setbacks. He also realized that Rich McKay, his GM, wasn't doing him any favors and moved him away from personnel.

Blank then hired Thomas Dimitroff from NE, who in turn hired HC Mike Smith from JAC, who hired old Bills HC Mike Mularkey as OC from MIA. They drafted Matt Ryan and set about rebuilding a team that had been in the NFC Championship game a few years earlier. Atlanta went to the playoffs last season, and despite being 5-5 this year, has the makings of a solid team.

Blank had a vision, but didn't feel the urge to hire a big name guy when he was shot down. Instead, he hired no-nonsense and talented people who make football decisions. And while Buffalo doesn't have the challenges Atlanta had at the end of 07, the owner made good decisions that put his team in a better position. He didn't make rash choices, nor hired big names people and this is what the Bills should be doing right now.

This is one of multiple threads about "the roadmap" and like most of the others is well-written and thoughtful.

As I wrote last night, the "shooting at the stars approach" is panicky and desperate. It suggests a lack of a plan and an attempt to placate fans by making a big hire for marketing/PR purposes. Throwing huge money at Shanahan, Cowher, etc is roughly analogous to signing Terrell Owens.

In my perfect world we hire Floyd Reese, who built the Houston/Tennessee franchise, running 13 drafts for them with many more hits than misses, and who is serving as a senior advisor this year with the New England Patriots as he awaits another chance to become an NFL GM. Let him build the organization back up, including hiring the head coach.

Yup we need to copy Atlanta's approach: get a Dimitroff, then a HC like Mike Smith.

Instead, we've got an incompetent owner and COO running around interviewing mirages.

You're right. I doubt if Ralph Wilson remembers what he had for breakfast this morning.

So you're not going to call Ralph cheap, and unwilling to do what it takes to win if he brings in an unheralded, unproven GM and first time HC to rebuild the team?

Just because someone is unherald and not considered a prominent name doesn't mean that they are not qualified to be a director of a front office. Dimitroff was a very well respected scout and front office member within the most successful organization in the NFL (New England) over the past decade when he was hired to take over the Atlanta franchise. When Parcells went to the Dolphins one of his first hires was Jeff Ireland from Dallas who is now his primary personnel man in the organization. Dimitroff hired Smith as his HC and Parcells hired Sparano as his HC. Both have done very solid jobs with rebuilding organizations.

There are a number of talented subordinates in very successful franchises who know what it takes to build a good ORGANIZATION which would be the foundation for a good product on the field. The Giants, Eagles, New England, Baltimore, Pittsbugh have new blood subordinates who have been welled schooled and are ready to work for other teams.

I wish the Bills could have hired Bill Polian's son. Learning the business from his father would certainly have prepared him for the challenge of undoing the damage that our clueless owner created. The person I am touting, as are others, is Floyd Reese. He knows what it takes to build a solid franchise because he has done it with Tenn. I would rather he do the hiring of a new HC than have the befuddled owner and his marketing guru make that critical selection.

Right now the owner and Russ Brandon are scrambling to get a "big name" to give their failed and very flawed organization some legitimacy. They are taking a marketing approach instead of a more substative approach of hiring a quality GM who knows what he is doing.

There is no quick fix to get this struggling franchise back out of it's irrelevant status. Making the right decision in who is hired to run the organization is in my view the best road to take. Instead of spending big time money on a glitzy HC the owner should use the preponderance of his resources to get someone competent to rebuild the organization from top to bottom.

Just because someone is unherald and not considered a prominent name doesn't mean that they are not qualified to be a director of a front office. Dimitroff was a very well respected scout and front office member within the most successful organization in the NFL (New England) over the past decade when he was hired to take over the Atlanta franchise. When Parcells went to the Dolphins one of his first hires was Jeff Ireland from Dallas who is now his primary personnel man in the organization. Dimitroff hired Smith as his HC and Parcells hired Sparano as his HC. Both have done very solid jobs with rebuilding organizations.

There are a number of talented subordinates in very successful franchises who know what it takes to build a good ORGANIZATION which would be the foundation for a good product on the field. The Giants, Eagles, New England, Baltimore, Pittsbugh have new blood subordinates who have been welled schooled and are ready to work for other teams.

I wish the Bills could have hired Bill Polian's son. Learning the business from his father would certainly have prepared him for the challenge of undoing the damage that our clueless owner created. The person I am touting, as are others, is Floyd Reese. He knows what it takes to build a solid franchise because he has done it with Tenn. I would rather he do the hiring of a new HC than have the befuddled owner and his marketing guru make that critical selection.

Right now the owner and Russ Brandon are scrambling to get a "big name" to give their failed and very flawed organization some legitimacy. They are taking a marketing approach instead of a more substative approach of hiring a quality GM who knows what he is doing.

There is no quick fix to get this struggling franchise back out of it's irrelevant status. Making the right decision in who is hired to run the organization is in my view the best road to take. Instead of spending big time money on a glitzy HC the owner should use the preponderance of his resources to get someone competent to rebuild the organization from top to bottom.

After Modrak, I'll pass on eagles subordinates, thanks.

So you're not going to call Ralph cheap, and unwilling to do what it takes to win if he brings in an unheralded, unproven GM and first time HC to rebuild the team?

Spending money does not make a problem (bad management) go away. The Bills need to find a GM first, perhaps Floyd Reese, or an up and comer, that can build a vision of what they want to do.

Every move RW has made since firing Philips has been a disaster. For this reason, I would not trust him, especially at his age, to make a good decision for this football team.

My post was that it is possible to win without having great name recognition at GM or HC. RW does not need to spend 10M per year, but it should be mentioned that he himself has put the Bills into their current predicament.

Spending money does not make a problem (bad management) go away. The Bills need to find a GM first, perhaps Floyd Reese, or an up and comer, that can build a vision of what they want to do.

Every move RW has made since firing Philips has been a disaster. For this reason, I would not trust him, especially at his age, to make a good decision for this football team.

(above posts editedto save space)

I agree with the above sentiments. However, I find it comical, to say the least, that many posters, 2 of which quoted above, have been posting for months, if not years, that Ralph is too cheap, Ralph only cares about making money, Ralph had no loyalty to Buffalo, Ralph will never do what it takes to win, etc.

Then Ralph fires Jauron mid season, eating his remaining contract, publicly says he's willing to do whatever it takes to win, and clearly makes it known no one's job is safe. Almost immediately, posts surface that its all talk. Then Ralph/Brandon contact every big name coach on the list - reportedly with record money and control on the line. Now, we see posts that Ralph is desperate, chasing mirages. And now, he should go the cheap route and get an unproven GM and coach.

It's a great world to live in where you can consistently change your target to suit your needs and forever prove that you're right and everyone else is wrong.

There is no guarantee that anyone, Shanny or Chris Polian or whomever, will be successful here. I would certainly hope we could all agree with that. But, let me ask this... what would you be posting today if all the reports were that Ralph was not interested in Shanahan or Cowher and hadn't even contacted them? What if reports were that Ralph had his eye on some teams pro player scout as the new GM and some hot assistant as the HC? I think we all know.

So, if Ralph contacts the top coaching prospects; he's desperate. If he hires a no name GM, he's cheap and never intended to build a winner. I just find it comical that no matter what Ralph or the Bills do, they're wrong.

My point is simple. There is no sure, guaranteed way to build a winning franchise. Ralph said before the season began that this year was playoffs or bust. When it became overtly apparent that wasn't happening, he fired the HC and has now promised more changes. He's currently looking into the top name HC candidates and, reportedly, offering more than anyone ever thought possible. Yet, posters still act as though he's clueless and not doing what it takes to win.

Can we just let the thing play out a little before we all continue to complain that Ralph is the worst owner ever in the history of owners? If you want to have even the appearance of objectivity, you should at least fain a little credit for what Ralph has done over the last couple of weeks. Then when you get back to your Bills' bashing, at least you can say you gave them the benefit of the doubt for a few days.

After Modrak, I'll pass on eagles subordinates, thanks.

Modrak was given the boot from the Eagle organization. One of the reasons was that he was searching for a new job while still on the Eagle payroll. The Eagles have been one of the most consistent playoff teams in the NFL. I wouldn't have any problem taking someone who has worked in that type of "sustained" successful operation if they are qualified.

In any franchise there are personnel people who work out for other teams and some who don't. Doing the required research and getting recommendations from a variety of credible sources improves the odds on getting the right candidate for the job.

John Guy and Tom Modrak have been with the Bills organization for a decade, since the Donahoe arrival. During the period of time they have been with the franchise the team never qualifed for the playoffs. Their body of work speaks for itself. Their ability to keep their jobs for so long speaks to the ineptitude and mediocrity of the organization.

(above posts editedto save space)

I agree with the above sentiments. However, I find it comical, to say the least, that many posters, 2 of which quoted above, have been posting for months, if not years, that Ralph is too cheap, Ralph only cares about making money, Ralph had no loyalty to Buffalo, Ralph will never do what it takes to win, etc.

Then Ralph fires Jauron mid season, eating his remaining contract, publicly says he's willing to do whatever it takes to win, and clearly makes it known no one's job is safe. Almost immediately, posts surface that its all talk. Then Ralph/Brandon contact every big name coach on the list - reportedly with record money and control on the line. Now, we see posts that Ralph is desperate, chasing mirages. And now, he should go the cheap route and get an unproven GM and coach.

It's a great world to live in where you can consistently change your target to suit your needs and forever prove that you're right and everyone else is wrong.

There is no guarantee that anyone, Shanny or Chris Polian or whomever, will be successful here. I would certainly hope we could all agree with that. But, let me ask this... what would you be posting today if all the reports were that Ralph was not interested in Shanahan or Cowher and hadn't even contacted them? What if reports were that Ralph had his eye on some teams pro player scout as the new GM and some hot assistant as the HC? I think we all know.

So, if Ralph contacts the top coaching prospects; he's desperate. If he hires a no name GM, he's cheap and never intended to build a winner. I just find it comical that no matter what Ralph or the Bills do, they're wrong.

My point is simple. There is no sure, guaranteed way to build a winning franchise. Ralph said before the season began that this year was playoffs or bust. When it became overtly apparent that wasn't happening, he fired the HC and has now promised more changes. He's currently looking into the top name HC candidates and, reportedly, offering more than anyone ever thought possible. Yet, posters still act as though he's clueless and not doing what it takes to win.

Can we just let the thing play out a little before we all continue to complain that Ralph is the worst owner ever in the history of owners? If you want to have even the appearance of objectivity, you should at least fain a little credit for what Ralph has done over the last couple of weeks. Then when you get back to your Bills' bashing, at least you can say you gave them the benefit of the doubt for a few days.

My position on Ralph Wislon has been consistent all along. Go back and read my postings. I consider him to be an incompetent owner who knows how to make money but has been inept at an embarrassing level of putting together an organization that can field a competent and entertaining team.

While the owner has made a quarter of a billion dollars over the past decade off of the franchise the team has not made the playoffs and his team ranks 29 out of 32. The only two teams to not qualify for the playoffs (excluding Houston which was an expansion team) are the Lions and Bills. When it comes to running a competent football organization the owner is clueless. The most influential people in the organization have little knowledge about football (Littman, Oberdor and Brandon) especially compared to franchises who have people such as Parcells, Billichick, Dimitroff, Colbert etc.

The Bills organization is in a shambles. The owner is trying to salvage the carnage HE created. The irrational front office structure is of his making. Needless to say it is a dismal failure.

We can debate how much money he spends on the franchise. It is a futile and wasteful debate. The real issue is how the team is run and its record. This franchise, next to the Raiders, is the most ridiculed and irrelevant franchise in the NFL.

There is a reason why the owner is desperate now to open up his bulging wallet to get a big name coach. The fan base is tuning out and the franchise is in disaray. In my view he is doing this to regain credibility he doesn't have with the local fanbase.

While you believe that the owner is showing faith to the fanbase by buying out Jauron's contract I take another view. This clown owner was a fool to hire him in the first place and it was moronic to give him an extension in the second place. He is merely buying out his own mistake. This is an owner who brought in Levy who set the oganization back further. Then the owner elevated the marketing specialist to take over the football operation. Senseless, pure senseless.

Make no mistake about my views of this owner. I have little regard for him. I find him to be an embarrassment. It is my opinion the best way to turn things around is not go for the quick glitzy move to a high profile HC but to put his resources and efforts into getting a competent GM who knows how to rebuild a very battered franchise.

Everyone thought that the Falcons would be a horrible team for years prior to last season. But Ryan surprised a lot of people, and Turner turned-out to be the real deal. But this is looking like a non-playoff year for them. And Pioli, considered the mastermind along with Belichick, isn't looking so hot in KC.

Everyone thought that the Falcons would be a horrible team for years prior to last season. But Ryan surprised a lot of people, and Turner turned-out to be the real deal. But this is looking like a non-playoff year for them. And Pioli, considered the mastermind along with Belichick, isn't looking so hot in KC.

Well it's always easy to point out exceptions or counter arguments.

Regardless of how the season plays out, most people would agree that the Falcons are on the right track. After going worst to first (Atlanta, Miami, and Baltimore all made huge turnarounds last year in the first year of the regime) an experienced observer would almost expect a regression from these teams.

And not all teams of course are going to make a huge, dramatic improvement in the first year of the regime change. It's hard to say what will happen to Pioli in Kansas City or Josh McDaniels in Denver. Not fair to judge them yet.

My position on Ralph Wislon has been consistent all along. Go back and read my postings. I consider him to be an incompetent owner who knows how to make money but has been inept at an embarrassing level of putting together an organization that can field a competent and entertaining team.

While the owner has made a quarter of a billion dollars over the past decade off of the franchise the team has not made the playoffs and his team ranks 29 out of 32. The only two teams to not qualify for the playoffs (excluding Houston which was an expansion team) are the Lions and Bills. When it comes to running a competent football organization the owner is clueless. The most influential people in the organization have little knowledge about football (Littman, Oberdor and Brandon) especially compared to franchises who have people such as Parcells, Billichick, Dimitroff, Colbert etc.

The Bills organization is in a shambles. The owner is trying to salvage the carnage HE created. The irrational front office structure is of his making. Needless to say it is a dismal failure.

We can debate how much money he spends on the franchise. It is a futile and wasteful debate. The real issue is how the team is run and its record. This franchise, next to the Raiders, is the most ridiculed and irrelevant franchise in the NFL.

There is a reason why the owner is desperate now to open up his bulging wallet to get a big name coach. The fan base is tuning out and the franchise is in disaray. In my view he is doing this to regain credibility he doesn't have with the local fanbase.

While you believe that the owner is showing faith to the fanbase by buying out Jauron's contract I take another view. This clown owner was a fool to hire him in the first place and it was moronic to give him an extension in the second place. He is merely buying out his own mistake. This is an owner who brought in Levy who set the oganization back further. Then the owner elevated the marketing specialist to take over the football operation. Senseless, pure senseless.

Make no mistake about my views of this owner. I have little regard for him. I find him to be an embarrassment. It is my opinion the best way to turn things around is not go for the quick glitzy move to a high profile HC but to put his resources and efforts into getting a competent GM who knows how to rebuild a very battered franchise.

This is true

Since Ralph would not know a top football mind to hire as GM, he should hire a consultant like Ron Wolf to help conduct the search.

having Brandon, who will lose his job if he hires the best GM, conduct that search is complete idiocy - but typical of the moves Ralph makes all the time

Huh? Your description indicates that Blank did not have a plan and just kept on trying things until someone said yes to him.

Arthur Blank had a plan all along: to find a competent football man to re-make his organization. Parcells spurned his offer and went to Miami, but Blank then focused on some lesser heralded candidates, one of whom was Tom Dimitroff. Blank is not a guy who runs his football team, but instead finds people who know the game and let them do it for him. I wish RW would practice this, but it's not happening.

If Shanahan does not accept the Bills offer, where does RW turn then? We know what Arthur Blank would do, because he's been there, done that.

Larry Felser's article today seems right on the mark. http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/869662.html

With Ralph's past history, how are we to believe that he does, in fact have an actual plan to fix things from the ground up? We can only hope that he is willing to call himself a part of the problem, so he can begin to fix what needs to be fixed.

Larry Felser's article today seems right on the mark. http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/869662.html

With Ralph's past history, how are we to believe that he does, in fact have an actual plan to fix things from the ground up? We can only hope that he is willing to call himself a part of the problem, so he can begin to fix what needs to be fixed.

On this subject, Felser is spot-on. There will be those who say Felser is old and no longer connected, but here his plan is the best means of curing a franchise which is clearly broken.

RW is the problem, because his age has become an impediment to re-building the franchise. He has every right to own that team, but it seems they're grasping at straws more than putting together a cohesive plan like Arthur Blank did.

Funny thing...teams that do it this way win more Super Bowls than teams that do it the "Dan Snyder way." So Bills fans want to win a Super Bowl...but want our owner to do what history shows doesn't work. How is that logical?

If you could buy a title...more teams would do it. What we don't want to hear is that it takes the ability to recognize talent, not money, to win a title. And a little luck doesn't hurt either.

PTR

Doc, Everyone wants an instant solution to problems which have developed over an extended period of time. Dimitroff did a masterful job in his first year. He cleared out half his roster, hired a solid HC, brought in some very good free agents (RB Turner was an outstanding pickup) drafted his franchise qb and bulked up his OL. They made the playoffs in his (Dimitroff's) first year. Compare that to the stuck in the mud Bills. The Bills haven't had a credible OL in more than a decade, they haven't had a franchise qb since the Kelly days (fifteen yrs ago) and their HC who was a foolish hire was given an extension in the same year he finished the season 2-8. The Falcons might not make the playoffs this year but they are a very competitive team. Compare that to the embarrassing and irrelevant Bills.

With respect to Pioli KC was bad for a long time before he took over the franchise last year. Give him some time. Does anyone doubt that he has more football knowledge than the marketing guru, GM Russ Brandon, of the Bills? The Bills have been bad for almost a generation. The owner of the Bills has been very instrumental in hiring and firing staffers. I would rather have a football person such as Dimitroff, Parcells, Pioli etc making critical decisions than a 91 yr old owner who has led his franchise over the cliff.

Funny thing...teams that do it this way win more Super Bowls than teams that do it the "Dan Snyder way." So Bills fans want to win a Super Bowl...but want our owner to do what history shows doesn't work. How is that logical?

If you could buy a title...more teams would do it. What we don't want to hear is that it takes the ability to recognize talent, not money, to win a title. And a little luck doesn't hurt either.

PTR

No one can claim that the Bills have been competent in evaluating talent over the past decade. What is very odd about this fading franchise is that the talent evaluators who have been abject failures are retained by the owner while the masterful evaluators such as Polian and A.J. Smith were driven out of the organization by the same owner. When is this stupidity going to stopl Now the owner makes it clear that he is going to throw around big money to get a celebrity HC to undo what the owner, himself, has done. Stupidity added on to stupidity. What is clear to me is that the 91 yr old baron owner doesn't have the sound judgment to do what is required to turn things around. In my opinion, and others, what the owner needs to do is get a quality GM and let him make the football decisions such as hiring the HC.

PTR

While I completely agree with you, I'm not sure Ralph is trying the Snyder way - at least not yet. He's currently attempting to hire a highly credentialed and respected HC. A HC that would also serve as the GM. Hence, the concern that we need a GM first is negated if Shanahan is hired. If Shanahan turns down the offer, then I'll agree and completely fall into the "get a good GM first" camp.

However, I see absolutely nothing wrong with going after Shanahan. For once, Ralph is going after one of the best names in the game. Yet, this is somehow bad? I asked the question earlier and, predictably, got no response. But, what would all the Ralph haters be posting today if he came right out and said Shanhan, Cowher, Gruden were not an option? What if he said he wanted to hire some relatively unknown, and completely unproven guy, to head up the FO and they were looking at any number of hot coordinator and college prospects to become HC? You and I both know what would be all over this board.

So, if Shanny is hired, will it work? Will it get us to a Super Bowl? I don't know. But, it will almost certainly establish the Bills as a legitmate franchise. It will help to acquire FAs. It will go a long way to changing the losing atmosphere that currently surrounds the team. For now, I can live with that. In a few years, then we can talk about what it'll take to get to the Super Bowl. But, IMO, you have to learn to walk before you can run. And right now, the Bills are barely crawling.

The point of my initial post, here, was proven by JohnC's repsonse. He doesn't care what Ralph does. He has little regard for the man and will, therefore, find fault in whatever moves are made. I suspected as much, but was hoping other posters might benefit from that insight. Consequently, they may take is comments regarding Ralph with a grain of salt.

Doc, Everyone wants an instant solution to problems which have developed over an extended period of time. Dimitroff did a masterful job in his first year. He cleared out half his roster, hired a solid HC, brought in some very good free agents (RB Turner was an outstanding pickup) drafted his franchise qb and bulked up his OL. They made the playoffs in his (Dimitroff's) first year. Compare that to the stuck in the mud Bills. The Bills haven't had a credible OL in more than a decade, they haven't had a franchise qb since the Kelly days (fifteen yrs ago) and their HC who was a foolish hire was given an extension in the same year he finished the season 2-8. The Falcons might not make the playoffs this year but they are a very competitive team. Compare that to the embarrassing and irrelevant Bills.

Despite missing the playoffs the past decade, the Bills have been competitive more often than not, usually falling-short in the final month of the season. The point is that one year in the playoffs doesn't equal success. Compared to the Bills, who haven't made the playoffs in a decade, making the playoffs just once IS more success, but I'm looking for more than just that.

With respect to Pioli KC was bad for a long time before he took over the franchise last year. Give him some time. Does anyone doubt that he has more football knowledge than the marketing guru, GM Russ Brandon, of the Bills? The Bills have been bad for almost a generation. The owner of the Bills has been very instrumental in hiring and firing staffers. I would rather have a football person such as Dimitroff, Parcells, Pioli etc making critical decisions than a 91 yr old owner who has led his franchise over the cliff.

The Chefs had talent. They had a Pro Bowl TE, RB, Pro Bowl caliber WR, drafted top linemen the past couple drafts, and traded for a "hot" QB. Yet they look no better than before, and certainly not as good as the Falcons did last year.

While I completely agree with you, I'm not sure Ralph is trying the Snyder way - at least not yet. He's currently attempting to hire a highly credentialed and respected HC. A HC that would also serve as the GM. Hence, the concern that we need a GM first is negated if Shanahan is hired. If Shanahan turns down the offer, then I'll agree and completely fall into the "get a good GM first" camp.

However, I see absolutely nothing wrong with going after Shanahan. For once, Ralph is going after one of the best names in the game. Yet, this is somehow bad? I asked the question earlier and, predictably, got no response. But, what would all the Ralph haters be posting today if he came right out and said Shanhan, Cowher, Gruden were not an option? What if he said he wanted to hire some relatively unknown, and completely unproven guy, to head up the FO and they were looking at any number of hot coordinator and college prospects to become HC? You and I both know what would be all over this board.

So, if Shanny is hired, will it work? Will it get us to a Super Bowl? I don't know. But, it will almost certainly establish the Bills as a legitmate franchise. It will help to acquire FAs. It will go a long way to changing the losing atmosphere that currently surrounds the team. For now, I can live with that. In a few years, then we can talk about what it'll take to get to the Super Bowl. But, IMO, you have to learn to walk before you can run. And right now, the Bills are barely crawling.

The point of my initial post, here, was proven by JohnC's repsonse. He doesn't care what Ralph does. He has little regard for the man and will, therefore, find fault in whatever moves are made. I suspected as much, but was hoping other posters might benefit from that insight. Consequently, they may take is comments regarding Ralph with a grain of salt.

Dan, The franchise is in a shambles primarily because of the decisions the owner has made. I don't trust his judgment. Why would anyone do so? Look at his miserable record and then tell me why you would have confidence in his strategy to put this organization on the right track.

At lot of people are mesmerized by the Shananahan reputation. Look at his record the last few years in Denver. His personnel moves were not very smart. He kept churning players in and out and he kept bringing in overpriced and underperforming free agents. The owner, who was one of his best friends, fired him and ended up eating a very expenisve contract.

What the Bills need more than anything else is a GM who knows how to BUILD a franchise, top to bottom. I don't believe that this pathetic franchise, owned for half a century by a befuddled owner, is going to be salvaged by a highly expensive HC whose recent record in personnel decisions is very suspect.

Would Shanahan be an upgrade as a HC and acting GM? Of course he would. So would Bozo the clown. What this desperate franchise needs more than anything is an upgrade in the front office and an investment in the scouting department, in the college and pro ranks. Atlanta under Dimitroff had a very quick turnaround and Miami under Parcells had a very quick turnaround. Most of that success can be attributed to smart personnel decisions.

Am I suspect anything that the Bills' owner does? Of course I am. I think he is an arrogant and narcisstic fool who considers the franchise his little toy he can play with. He enjoys tinkering with his toy while the fans have to be subjected to the garbage he has put forth for a very long time.

If you want to offer your adulation to this owner then that is your choice. I have little regard for this petty baron. The franchise is in a shambles primarily because of HIM. I don't know how any fair minded person can come to any other conclusion. If you don't believe me then just look at the record for the past decade.

Does anyone think that RW would hire someone (consultant) to guide the selection process for a new GM? If he really means what he says that he will do whatever it takes to bring a championship to Buffalo, is he willing to say that he needs someone else to help with getting the "right guy" for the job?

I, too am not comfortable to trust RW to do this on his own. He needs to be a "big boy" and let someone with a football background help guide the process.