Chris Polian Named Colts GM

cmjoyce113

Congrats to Chris.

Consider that this story could have read:

The Buffalo News reports that Chris Polian has been named the Bills' General Manager as part of joint contract extensions with both Polians, which will keep them with the team beyond 2012.

:censored: Ralph. :thumbsup:

Congrats to Chris.

Consider that this story could have read:

The Buffalo News reports that Chris Polian has been named the Bills' General Manager as part of joint contract extensions with both Polians, which will keep them with the team beyond 2012.

:censored: Ralph. :thumbsup:

omg get over it

Hmmm.

Gruden a possible HC candidate for the Bills via various websites...

Signs an extension with ESPN

Polian a possible GM candidate for the Bills via varioius websites...

Named Colts GM

Just sayin'.......

What constitutes a "possible" candidate? Some blog? Was Chris Polian even contacted, or is this all just a fiendish plot? I know you are just being negative but...:thumbsup:

PTR

I can't be the only one who finds it strangely coincidental that the moment that Chris Polian's name is brought up as a possible GM in the wake of the Browns and Bills situations...he gets a new deal with Colts.

I think it's quite possible that Irsay saw which way the wind was blowing and decided to be aggressively proactive in locking up both Polians to a succession plan.

That's how good organizations operate.

He was being groomed for the position for the past few years. Jim Irsay should count his blessings that his treasurer gets along with BP and hasn't needed to fire him for hurtful words. After all, they've had 8 consecutive 10+ win seasons now.

Every time I read a post like this my "Frustratometer" spikes! Could you imagine how different the last 12 seasons would have been if Polian had remained here?

This is great news in my opinion and in-line with what I had been hoping for,

In a past article, Chris Polian mentioned he had seen "both the good and the bad" while his dad was here in Buffalo. I doubt Chris would have considered coming back here, especially since Irsay realizes the front office is the key to franchise success.

With this announcement Bill Polian now has the option to stay full time in Indy, retire, or semi-retire. His son has been given the GM title and this sets up a "passing of the torch".

It is now critical for Ralph to swallow his pride and go after Bill Polian himself to at a minimum serve in an advisory capacity for a GM candidate. It would be great if Ralph had started to do this already, maybe it was a factor in the Indy promotion for Chris.

If Bill semi-retires he can help Chris in Indy and advise us at the same time. If he were willing to come back here full-time, he wouldn't be bothered by the potential ownership turnover like any younger GM would. Any young GM coming here would realize if Ralph dies in the next couple years and the Bills have not turned around far enough, they would have trouble getting another GM job. Bill Polian could do what he wants no matter what.

We can debate coaches like Shanahan, Cowher, et al to death, but can these guys function without a good GM/front office? I'm really not sure, and it sounds great to spend a ton of money for a superbowl winning coach but will it be worth it? Also, many successfull head coaches take control of personnel decisions and don't do well. One could argue Shanahan may be this type of coach.

Sean Peyton and Sparano were "never-done-it-before" guys that weren't well known when they were picked. I know Sparano hasn't been hugely successful yet, but seeing how solidly his teams play and how he was willing to use the wildcat to fit his personnel, I have to believe he will get there.

Bottom line is they were given the chance by good GMs. And now there is a screaming opportunity to get help from one of the top GM/front office guys in the game.

Now it's time for Ralph to put up or shut up.

This is great news in my opinion and in-line with what I had been hoping for,

In a past article, Chris Polian mentioned he had seen "both the good and the bad" while his dad was here in Buffalo. I doubt Chris would have considered coming back here, especially since Irsay realizes the front office is the key to franchise success.

With this announcement Bill Polian now has the option to stay full time in Indy, retire, or semi-retire. His son has been given the GM title and this sets up a "passing of the torch".

It is now critical for Ralph to swallow his pride and go after Bill Polian himself to at a minimum serve in an advisory capacity for a GM candidate. It would be great if Ralph had started to do this already, maybe it was a factor in the Indy promotion for Chris.

If Bill semi-retires he can help Chris in Indy and advise us at the same time. If he were willing to come back here full-time, he wouldn't be bothered by the potential ownership turnover like any younger GM would. Any young GM coming here would realize if Ralph dies in the next couple years and the Bills have not turned around far enough, they would have trouble getting another GM job. Bill Polian could do what he wants no matter what.

We can debate coaches like Shanahan, Cowher, et al to death, but can these guys function without a good GM/front office? I'm really not sure, and it sounds great to spend a ton of money for a superbowl winning coach but will it be worth it? Also, many successfull head coaches take control of personnel decisions and don't do well. One could argue Shanahan may be this type of coach.

Sean Peyton and Sparano were "never-done-it-before" guys that weren't well known when they were picked. I know Sparano hasn't been hugely successful yet, but seeing how solidly his teams play and how he was willing to use the wildcat to fit his personnel, I have to believe he will get there.

Bottom line is they were given the chance by good GMs. And now there is a screaming opportunity to get help from one of the top GM/front office guys in the game.

Now it's time for Ralph to put up or shut up.

A hint ...

First, read the article. Then comment on the article.

Not following you...you mean the Bills not contacting Chris Polian? Wasn't it a given he would take over for his dad? Weren't we wooing Shannahan offering total control? What part of this do you not approve of?

PTR

No no, I was agreeing with your sentiment that putting a negative spin on him going to the Colts was silly. Especially since, as another poster pointed out, he's been "groomed" for the Indy job, and any "shot" Buffalo had in obtaining him was pontificated by incredible rumor mill/wish lists blogs.

To say that Chris Polian signing with Indy is somehow a failure on the part of the Buffalo FO is ridiculous. We might as well be blaming Russ Brandon for those Mars colonies that don't exist.

A hint ...

First, read the article. Then comment on the article.

Um, I did. Did you read the entire article? This is the first line:

"Though Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian isn't retiring any time soon, his son, Chris, has taken a big step closer toward replacing his 66-year-old father once he decides to pack it in."

This is the last line (Jim Irsay statement): "Chris is going to be here and play a dominant role. I've been around Chris for a long time. Whenever Bill is ready to retire, or semi-retire, we'll move forward with Chris.''

How is this not an opportunity to go after Bill Polian to at least "semi-retire" to an advisory role so he could help us with our front office while still advising the colts and his son?

I'm not saying anything will come of it, but if Ralph's serious about straightening the franchise this is the perfect guy to help us, even if only to recommend a new GM.

"........................but he never has come close to leaving Indy."

This is the operative part of the article, as far as the Bills are concerned. This seems to indicate thet he was set to take over the GM position from the start.

Also, Bill can't consult with the Bills and still work for the Colts, even in retirement. That would be a conflict of interest.