How close are you to being done with the NFL?

Hossage

I am pretty much done with the NFL. The rules have become ridiculous, the penalties randomly enforced, the level of play gets worse every year, the coaches seem identical, the announcers are way over the top, it has become a betting league, the sportswriters constantly spew filth to the masses, it just seems like a big pageant of mediocrity.

I love football. I have played it and lived it. I was a wrestler, too, but I pass on WWE or whatever its called. i am almost there with the NFL. I have enjoyed the UFL games more than the NFL games this year, if I am honest.

Let me know how you feel, gentlemen.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty much done with the NFL. The rules have become ridiculous, the penalties randomly enforced, the level of play gets worse every year, the coaches seem identical, the announcers are way over the top, it has become a betting league, the sportswriters constantly spew filth to the masses, it just seems like a big pageant of mediocrity.

I love football. I have played it and lived it. I was a wrestler, too, but I pass on WWE or whatever its called. i am almost there with the NFL. I have enjoyed the UFL games more than the NFL games this year, if I am honest.

Bye

Actually Hoss makes some good points. Since I've been down under the last 5 years I've been playing Rugby. A much faster game (especially Rugby League). No commercials during the games on TV either!!! I think that's what's killing me with the NFL nowadays. Too many commercial breaks really slow it down. Still have the online NFL ticket and watch the games but just not into like I used to be (could also be the Bills sucking for the past 10 years too).

Referees suck in every sport.

As I sat here nodding my head in agreement with everything you just said, I realized something wild. You just described ALL aspects of American popular culture. Simply replace "coaches" with "politicians", "announcers" with "talk radio pundits", and "sportswriters" with "the News outlets in general".

I know what you mean, but for me, it is still the most exciting sport to watch on TV. I can't wait until Xmas when Santa (my wife and kids) bring me my first Plasma/HD. Mind you, hockey, basketball, and even the Winter Olympics all will look pretty sweet on it, too. The World Cup will be on next summer, and the best thing about that is no play stoppage & thus, no commercials!

A few years back they changed the rule on plays that go out of bounds. They never used to start the game clock until after the snap of the football when a play had ended out of bounds. Now they place the ball and start the clock. This does not apply with less than 5 minutes to play in a half. So what was the point to this rule change? They claimed the games were taking too long. I say the real reason was money. Less football means more commercial time. Watching a game can be a painstaking display of endless commercials. I hate it. I now tape the game and begin wathing it about 30 minutes late, so i can fast forward thru the commercials.

I know what you mean, but for me, it is still the most exciting sport to watch on TV. I can't wait until Xmas when Santa (my wife and kids) bring me my first Plasma/HD. Mind you, hockey, basketball, and even the Winter Olympics all will look pretty sweet on it, too. The World Cup will be on next summer, and the best thing about that is no play stoppage & thus, no commercials!

I'd submit that college football/basketball are the most exciting sports on TV. You might get an NFL game once every few weeks that lives up to the hype, while there can easily be 3 or 4 a week in these other sports.

Frankly, I was done with the NFL about 5 years ago. I'm just a casual observer now, background noise for a lazy Sunday.

And winter olympics in HD. :blink:

Actually Hoss makes some good points. Since I've been down under the last 5 years I've been playing Rugby. A much faster game (especially Rugby League). No commercials during the games on TV either!!! I think that's what's killing me with the NFL nowadays. Too many commercial breaks really slow it down. Still have the online NFL ticket and watch the games but just not into like I used to be (could also be the Bills sucking for the past 10 years too).

Referees suck in every sport.

YOur point about commercials, is probably my biggest problem with the game. TV has taken over and changed it imo. Take all of those long commercial breaks out and make them play. I have believe they would have to trim down to not get totally gassed. After seeing Invictus trailers I want to see some Ruggers. I am still a fan though, but am waiting anxiously for the World Cup next year.

I'd submit that college football/basketball are the most exciting sports on TV. You might get an NFL game once every few weeks that lives up to the hype, while there can easily be 3 or 4 a week in these other sports.

Frankly, I was done with the NFL about 5 years ago. I'm just a casual observer now, background noise for a lazy Sunday.

And winter olympics in HD. :blink:

Yeah that Florida/Florida International game yesterday was just spell binding.

Good thread.

I'm not sure I'll ever be 'done' with the NFL, but I certainly feel myself drifting further away for a variety of reasons:

--Life is more demanding now (marriage, kid, etc.), so fewer Sundays that can be devoted to the couch and clicker. As kids grow, that will only become more pronounced. Who would miss their own kid's soccer game to watch the NFL?

--The reasons you mention; declining product on the field, over emphasis on the officials (and the corresponding decline in quality of officials), bias favoring marquee teams, endless stories about criminal behavior among players, etc.

--The Bills becoming a permanent doormat. I still get excited for the playoffs, but when I know with 100% certainty in August that Bills won't be challenging to be there, it diminishes the whole season. The upside is that when the Bills finally move away, the loss probably won't seem as hard.

And keggy is right about college being a more exciting game. A lot of people may not care what happens in a UCONN-ND game, but yesterday's contest was more exciting than any NFL game since the Giants-Pats* SB.

As I sat here nodding my head in agreement with everything you just said, I realized something wild. You just described ALL aspects of American popular culture. Simply replace "coaches" with "politicians", "announcers" with "talk radio pundits", and "sportswriters" with "the News outlets in general".

I think this is most painful with "conventional wisdom" that neither coaches, politicians or either kind of pundit will challenge. There are always a bunch of fans/voters online asking their guy to be more aggressive and reject decisions that are traditional but don't make sense (crummy TV ads, punting on 4th and inches from midfield) and even though the ones who break the system are usually successful, the rest still try to pull them back down.

YOur point about commercials, is probably my biggest problem with the game. TV has taken over and changed it imo. Take all of those long commercial breaks out and make them play. I have believe they would have to trim down to not get totally gassed. After seeing Invictus trailers I want to see some Ruggers. I am still a fan though, but am waiting anxiously for the World Cup next year.

But you forget, the TV networks would not be able to pay the ridiculous fees to the NFL without all the commercials. And the NFL would not be able to pay the ridiculous salaries to players and coaches without the TV revenue. And the NFL is a business first. So the quantity of commercials will never decrease ... though it may increase.

And that is a big reason you don't see much soccer on TV in the US. It is not a commercial friendly sport. And I can't see FIFA injecting TV timeouts into the game for the US TV networks like the NFL and even the NHL (to a much lesser degree) did.

I watch the Bills but that's about it for football for me, college or pro. And the constant commercials are a huge reason.

you're onto something....literally all aspects of america culture

I am pretty much done with the film industry. The scripts have become ridiculous, principles are inconsistently demonstrated (e.g.,Roman Pulanski), the level of writing gets worse every year, the story lines seem identical, the reviewers are way over the top, it has become all about merchandising and mass production of blockbusters, the studios constantly spew filth to the masses, it just seems like a big pageant of mediocrity.