How close are you to being done with the NFL?

Hossage

Can I add to the con that every game at least one player suffers some gruesome, season-ending injury and that by Week 5 like half the team on the field is backups? I'm not a fan of the fact that people get hurt so seriously and so often. That is of course except for those plays where someone grazes the QB and it's like a 15 yard penalty, or there's some inadvertent nudge on a pass play 30 yards down field, and so the offence is gifted 30% of the entire playing surface regardless of their ability to actually earn yardage on their own merits. Weak.

I take heat for saying this, but I'm convinced that the increased bodyweights of football players as a result of anabolic drug use is responsible for the great majority of these injuries.

I don't have the statistics (are there any compiled?), but I don't remember this frequent of season ending injuries ever before.

And the nature of them is alarming. Biceps tears, pectoral tears, achilles tendon injuries, etc are all indicative of anabolic drug abuse. Anyone remember high school health? You know, the basics of why one should not do steroids? The whole 'muscles grow too big and tendons and ligaments do not keep up' thing?

Watching those early 90's Bills teams- and the NFL for that matter- these types of injuries were nonexistent. I don't have numbers to back up my assertion, but did players of the 70's, 80's, and 90's have both the severity and frequency of injuries that today's players seem to have?

Sorry to go off track, but I think the injuries are a occurring as a direct result of anabolic drug abuse.

I will now sit back and take my challengers...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The real example would be the Saints - Bucs. Number 1 team vs a bottom feeder. Same type of comparison as Florida - Florida Int.

I thought two 1-8 teams, the Browns putrid offense + the Lions putrid defense = a craptastic football game. How could I know that Browns were actually going to play football this week?

you're onto something....literally all aspects of america culture

I am pretty much done with the film industry. The scripts have become ridiculous, principles are inconsistently demonstrated (e.g.,Roman Pulanski), the level of writing gets worse every year, the story lines seem identical, the reviewers are way over the top, it has become all about merchandising and mass production of blockbusters, the studios constantly spew filth to the masses, it just seems like a big pageant of mediocrity.

Add the music industry to that. Spent the evening last night watching 3 hour Eagles concert DVD from 2004. Very lttle today measures up to that or the dozens of other great bands and performers from past decades.

I take heat for saying this, but I'm convinced that the increased bodyweights of football players as a result of anabolic drug use is responsible for the great majority of these injuries.

I agree. The degree at which bodies can increasingly administer punishment has far outpaced the ability of them to absorb it. That is because the force guys can deliver increases exponentially as they get ever bigger and faster.

We're just beginning to see the long term impact of concussions on older guys that played in the relatively tame '60s and '70s (and some extreme cases more recently). That will look like nothing 20 years from now when there is an entire generation of ex-NFL guys showing signs of early dementia.

And yeah...grumsome injuries are definitely a turn off.

I thought two 1-8 teams, the Browns putrid offense + the Lions putrid defense = a craptastic football game. How could I know that Browns were actually going to play football this week?

Yeah, but two evenly matched crappy teams usually provide a better game then a #1 and bottom feeder. Then again, if the Bills are involved the game still seems to suck.

Add the music industry to that. Spent the evening last night watching 3 hour Eagles concert DVD from 2004. Very lttle today measures up to that or the dozens of other great bands and performers from past decades.

Wow, you were able to watch the Eagles for 3 hours??

Yeah, but two evenly matched crappy teams usually provide a better game then a #1 and bottom feeder. Then again, if the Bills are involved the game still seems to suck.

That's probably where I made my mistake. I've been desensitized by watching our decade-long train wreck.

Spent the evening last night watching 3 hour Eagles concert DVD from 2004.

When will this country resume respecting the Geneva Conventions with regards to torture?

Yes indeed, everything stinks when your favorite football team stinks. TV shows, films, books, ice cream.

The entire planet is off it's axis, life is hardly worth living...unless we can find someone to blame.