A moron-free thread on the Bills OLine

Simon

Sorry to start yet another thread on this well-worn subject, but I just wanted to address a couple different points I keep seeing repeatedly posted here.

One of these is about Sunday night. I've read about a hunderd different posts lamenting how awful the OLine was in NE and it makes me wonder exactly what the hell it is that some of you want from these guys?

Drew had good protection on his drop backs, just like he has for the vast majority of the year so there's no point in even commenting on the pass-protection because even most of the those complaining about the OLine conceded that they were solid in defending the pocket.

The issue that lots of folks are complaining about was the difficulty we had in creating the kind of lanes in the gorund game we've seen throughout much of the year. And this is where I wonder what y'all expect. The Patriots spent the entire night crowding the line and just pouring people into every gap on the LOS. In fact if somebody has the stomach to watch the film, I bet you'll find Belichik/Crennel even spent significant time stacking a 4-4. You can't expect 5-6 guys to block 8-9 guys with any consistency and then chew them out when they don't do it.

The only way you can run the ball in that situation is for your QB to back them out of such an agressive posture by making them pay for their unwillingness to defend the short/intermediate zones. And Drew was again unable to do that even though I'd bet my house we had receivers running free through that depleted secondary all night.

Our inability to run the ball had little to do with the OLine's play and everything to do with the Patritos utter disdain for Drew's vision and ability. And falling back on the old "It's the OLine" cliche is equally inappropriate and inaccurate.

Another thing I wanted to comment on is the dozens of posts we continue to see complaining about TD's unwillingness to address the OLine and his fialure to understand that winning football starts in the trenches.

Hogwash.

TD's first two years here he was financially handcuffed and couldn't do anything in FA, so instead he chose to address both lines through the draft. In those two drafts he had a total of 9 first day picks after some shrewd horsedealing. Of those 9 picks he spent 5 of them on trenchmen; that's over 50% of his most valuable picks appropriated to the lines in his first two years. It's also worth mentioneing that the most valuable pick he'll ever have as the Bills GM went to the OLine, and that as strapped for cash as he was, he still dedicated some of what little he had to signing OT MPrice.

His next two years he had more freedom to maneuver so he changed his strategy somewhat. Of his 6 Day1 picks he only spent 2 of them in the trenches, instead opting to draft our future at QB, RB and WR. But did he ignore the OLine? Hell, no! He went out and spent money on it in FA, bringing in Trey Teague (who has become a very good Center since he's been playing for McNally/Clements) and then topping that by acquiring the most coveted and valuable Guard in the entire FA pool in Chris Vilarial.

Finally I just wanted to point something out to the many folks who continue to comment on how much better off teh Stillers are now that Donahoe is gone. During most of TD's tenure the Stillers were consistently kicking the shlt out of people and winng their division regularly; so in that aspect, nothing has really changed. Also considering that the strenght of this Stillers team is undeniably their OLine, I find it interesting that of the 6 starters on that unit, 5 of them were Donahoe acquisitions (the lone exception being RG KeydrickVincent). I also find it interesting that the Stillers were so content with TD's work in the trenches that since he left Pittsburgh they have only bothered to spend a grand total of 3 firstday picks on linemen over all those years.

So those of you claiming that TD doesn't understand that you win football games from the trenches out?

WRONG

Those of you claiming that TD hasn't bothered to address our trenches since he arrived here?

WRONG

Those of you clamoring about how awful the OLine was in NE Sunday night?

WRONG

Stepping off my soapbox.........

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post Simon.

DB is really looking more and more like the biggest problem on the team. I too felt that he had good time in alot of those passing situations and while I couldn't see what our receivers were doing, it appeared that DB couldn't either.

To summarize:

Drew made the line look worse than it actually was. He had to step up this game to keep the defense honest and open up holes for the running game and he didn't. Blame Drew, as his field vision and his tendency to make mistakes at crucial situations did this team in.

Who acquired Drew Bledsoe for a first round pick?

Tom Donahoe

Who -- despite it being plainly obvious that Drew Bledsoe was maddeningly inconsistent and too slow (in mind and body) for today's NFL -- STUCK with Bledsoe and blamed just about everyone else on his failure to produce?

Tom Donahoe

Who spent a high first round pick on Lee Evans under the notion that the WR corps at present was not sufficient and what Drew Bledsoe was truly lacking last year was a deep threat to stretch the field?

Tom Donahoe

That is where I cast blame on him. He made a move in acquiring Bledsoe which at the time was a superb one. Bledsoe put up one of the best half-seasons I have seen. But since then, he has been nothing but mediocre AT BEST. For Donahoe to still stick by him, and continue to insist that the offense's shortcomings are attributable to other players and coaching but NOT Drew Bledsoe -- to me, that signals the sign of a poor Team President.

Sorry to start yet another thread on this well-worn subject, but I just wanted to address a couple different points I keep seeing repeatedly posted here.

One of these is about Sunday night. I've read about a hunderd different posts lamenting how awful the OLine was in NE and it makes me wonder exactly what the hell it is that some of you want from these guys?

Drew had good protection on his drop backs, just like he has for the vast majority of the year so there's no point in even commenting on the pass-protection because even most of the those complaining about the OLine conceded that they were solid in defending the pocket.

The issue that lots of folks are complaining about was the difficulty we had in creating the kind of lanes in the gorund game we've seen throughout much of the year. And this is where I wonder what y'all expect. The Patriots spent the entire night crowding the line and just pouring people into every gap on the LOS. In fact if somebody has the stomach to watch the film, I bet you'll find Belichik/Crennel even spent significant time stacking a 4-4. You can't expect 5-6 guys to block 8-9 guys with any consistency and then chew them out when they don't do it.

The only way you can run the ball in that situation is for your QB to back them out of such an agressive posture by making them pay for their unwillingness to defend the short/intermediate zones. And Drew was again unable to do that even though I'd bet my house we had receivers running free through that depleted secondary all night.

Our inability to run the ball had little to do with the OLine's play and everything to do with the Patritos utter disdain for Drew's vision and ability. And falling back on the old "It's the OLine" cliche is equally inappropriate and inaccurate.

Another thing I wanted to comment on is the dozens of posts we continue to see complaining about TD's unwillingness to address the OLine and his fialure to understand that winning football starts in the trenches.

Hogwash.

TD's first two years here he was financially handcuffed and couldn't do anything in FA, so instead he chose to address both lines through the draft. In those two drafts he had a total of 9 first day picks after some shrewd horsedealing. Of those 9 picks he spent 5 of them on trenchmen; that's over 50% of his most valuable picks appropriated to the lines in his first two years. It's also worth mentioneing that the most valuable pick he'll ever have as the Bills GM went to the OLine, and that as strapped for cash as he was, he still dedicated some of what little he had to signing OT MPrice.

His next two years he had more freedom to maneuver so he changed his strategy somewhat. Of his 6 Day1 picks he only spent 2 of them in the trenches, instead opting to draft our future at QB, RB and WR. But did he ignore the OLine? Hell, no! He went out and spent money on it in FA, bringing in Trey Teague (who has become a very good Center since he's been playing for McNally/Clements) and then topping that by acquiring the most coveted and valuable Guard in the entire FA pool in Chris Vilarial.

Finally I just wanted to point something out to the many folks who continue to comment on how much better off teh Stillers are now that Donahoe is gone. During most of TD's tenure the Stillers were consistently kicking the shlt out of people and winng their division regularly; so in that aspect, nothing has really changed. Also considering that the strenght of this Stillers team is undeniably their OLine, I find it interesting that of the 6 starters on that unit, 5 of them were Donahoe acquisitions (the lone exception being RG KeydrickVincent). I also find it interesting that the Stillers were so content with TD's work in the trenches that since he left Pittsburgh they have only bothered to spend a grand total of 3 firstday picks on linemen over all those years.

So those of you claiming that TD doesn't understand that you win football games from the trenches out?

WRONG

Those of you claiming that TD hasn't bothered to address our trenches since he arrived here?

WRONG

WRONG

121980[/snapback]

I'm sorry, I really had a hard time understanding how you really feel with this post. :D

Look The changes I make are

1) A Franchise type LT. Jennings is gone. I personally like the guy IF he can stay healthy. But he balked at the money TD offered so I bet he is gone.

2) Mike williams is a GUARD. You and I have both adressed this issue about him being too big, too slow to handle speed rushers consistantly.

We are going to field a rookie QB here soon. I would feel much better if LG and both Tackle positions were taken care of. MW to LG, Price to RT does 2/3's of it.

That said...Funny isn't it Simon... how we can see Bledsoe has all the time in the world to throw....AGAIN....and still sucks. But hey our OL sucks. :lol:

Who acquired Drew Bledsoe for a first round pick?........Who STUCK with Bledsoe and blamed just about everyone else on his failure to produce?

First I don't recall Donahoe ever laying any blame at anybody else's feet. That is a fantasy which exists only in your mind.

And secondly, I never claimed that the Drew deal wasn't a mistake. In fact I've been saying it was since the day he traded for him. BUT, are you prepared to fire a GM for that one mistake, when he has done so many other good things for this franchise?

If so, I hope you'll enjoy the next several years of the Bills floundering around trying to find any consistency or an identity.

The changes I make are

1) A Franchise type LT. Jennings is gone. I personally like the guy IF he can stay healthy. But he balked at the money TD offered so I bet he is gone.

You can forget about that one, mac. There will be no better LT than Jennings available in FA simply because teams don't let guys like that hit the market. And w/o a 1stround pick we are not going to found a LT better than Jennings in the draft either. So the Bills are simply going to have to bite the bullet and pay him to stay. As for his injury problems, that's why TD acquired MPrice to back up both Tackle spots.

I think we pay Jennings to stay with the knowledge we have Price as a back-up when he gets hurt, give BigMike one more year to show up in shape and work with McNally and then address the LG position in FA.

I think adding a more mobile, versatile (not to mention experienced) LG while subtracting one of the NFL's very worst QB's will do wonders for this offense.

Hogwash.

WRONG

WRONG

WRONG

121980[/snapback]

Defend TD all you want, the results of his work are on the field every Sunday and it isn't pretty. He found the money to sign Milloy, Adams, Fletcher, Vincent and Spikes. On offense, the only significant FA he signed was Drew. He kept Schobel but he let Price go. The result on the field is pretty obvious, a good defense and a lousy offense. He traded up to get Denney and he turned out so well that we had to spend another pick on Kelsay. He took Travis who was so good we had to take a flyer on Willis. He has had plenty of time to build a decent team, I am not asking for a dynasty, just a team that competes. We were done by week 6.

[There will be no better LT than Jennings available in FA simply because teams don't let guys like that hit the market. And w/o a 1stround pick we are not going to found a LT better than Jennings in the draft either. So the Bills are simply going to have to bite the bullet and pay him to stay. As for his injury problems, that's why TD acquired MPrice to back up both Tackle spots.

I think we pay Jennings to stay with the knowledge we have Price as a back-up when he gets hurt, give BigMike one more year to show up in shape and work with McNally and then address the LG position in FA.

I think adding a more mobile, versatile (not to mention experienced) LG while subtracting one of the NFL's very worst QB's will do wonders for this offense.

122070[/snapback]

Good points, but my concern is Jennings doesn't stay healthy. MW worrys me brother. After his bs this offseason I am still none to happy with him. But, I will say one way or the other we need ONE Starter at LG and he isn't on this roster (sans a move by Williams to LG). We have one for passing, one other one for the run game (Comments made by Wyche this week I believe). That means we really don't have one. Granted this was the year to see what we had. LG MUST be addressed.

Personally? When JP gets back there this OL will somehow become 'all pro'. :lol: Dude did you see how fast this kid gets out from under center? DAMN! Some people don't understand that it doesn't just help against the rush, but it gives JP that one more split second to read the D after he has set his feet. It was amazing to watch.

Something else, JP burns a couple teams with his feet and that all out blitz stevestojan will stop as well.

I was posting after the game that Drew had time to throw and the OL played perhaps the best performance of the year. Check the previous posts and verify.

I didn't know that about the OL and Pittsburgh and TD. Perhaps I will re-think my TD bashing and continue harping that Drew needs to be replaced. I dont think Shane or JP is a saviour at this point. But I would like to see how another QB can perform at this point with this team. What can it hurt?

I think to save the season we need to start either Shane or JP and see what happens. Preferably start JP. Give him the snaps during practice and let him loose.

I think the bottom line here is that with Bedsore back there, any defense with talent can exploit his weekness. Blitz, blitz, blitz, and then once you rattle him, let him do the work for you (the happy feet, the happy feet!!!!!!). Once Bedsore throws a pick, or fumbles the ball he CANNOT recover. Remember the days of Jim Kelly? He would throw a pick, slap himself in the helmet, and then go back out a series later and get a TD. Bedsore cannot do this at all. I do think the line is not that bad. A new QB (JP) would really show us what they are capable of. I only blame TD for sticking with Bedsore at this point, some other things he has done would really be good for us if we just had a new QB.

Not to say you're right or wrong, but if the OLine has been "addressed", then why after every poor Drew outing do we always hear MM saying, "missed blocking assignments" and such. And if the line is so good, in TD/MMs eyes, why put in DLinemen in key situations?

It would seem they havent done such a good job addressing the line, and I certainly think there's room for improvement. Oh yeah, and benching Drew would certainly help too!

If MM is being told Bedsore is your starter, then what else is he going to say?

Look how many times Bedsore has had the time to throw and threw the ball in the dirt. THere were plenty during the PAts game. He just has no ability left. If he has time, he stares at his reciever irregardless of who else is open and then either throws so hard no one could catch it, or low, or behind,,,,,,,

I was posting after the game that Drew had time to throw and the OL played perhaps the best performance of the year. Check the previous posts and verify.

I didn't know that about the OL and Pittsburgh and TD. Perhaps I will re-think my TD bashing and continue harping that Drew needs to be replaced. I dont think Shane or JP is a saviour at this point. But I would like to see how another QB can perform at this point with this team. What can it hurt?

I think to save the season we need to start either Shane or JP and see what happens. Preferably start JP. Give him the snaps during practice and let him loose.

122106[/snapback]

I have actually never bashed TD....and think that he has made both great and poor decisons....and nobody is perfect. The only problems I have with him are:

- His stupid arrogant "save the postage" comments when the fans are complaining about something everybody can see on the field......like we are a bunch of idiots...buffalo fans are very knowledgable about their football and

- The fact that this team is willing to bench any player for a poor performance EXCEPT for Drew Bledsoe......that just chaps my ass

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday

Good post, BUT, answer me this:

1) if TD has concentrated so much on the o-line, why is it that, but for a last-second find by John Guy of Lawrence Smith, we wouldn't even have a full starter at Left Guard?

2) isn't TD to blame not only for the Bledsoe acquisition, but also more importantly for NOT ADDRESSING THE QB SITUATION LAST OFFSEASON? I mean, we went into camp last year with AVP as the backup and no viable young qb at the third spot. That may have cost us both last year and now this year (and possibly next year depending on how quickly JP develops).

3) even if, as you say, Teague has become a good center and Jennings is a top-rated LT, I'm not sure they're fit for the SCHEME that Mularkey was hired to implement - POWER RUNNING. Now, you're right that 5-6 guys can't block 8-9 guys, but that's especially the case where those 5-6 guys are finesse players built more for pass protection than power running - Mike Williams and Chris V are the exceptions to that, and that's why, unsurprisingly, we're most successful when running to the right side. Teague, on the other hand, will never be the mauler that someone like Mawae is - he's more suited to a WCO in my opinion. I'm just not sure TD has been on the same page with his coaches in terms of scheme/o-line fit, which makes sense given that he's been through 3 different offenses with some of these same linemen.

First I don't recall Donahoe ever laying any blame at anybody else's feet. That is a fantasy which exists only in your mind.

And secondly, I never claimed that the Drew deal wasn't a mistake. In fact I've been saying it was since the day he traded for him. BUT, are you prepared to fire a GM for that one mistake, when he has done so many other good things for this franchise?

If so, I hope you'll enjoy the next several years of the Bills floundering around trying to find any consistency or an identity.

122070[/snapback]

He actually did put the blame elsewhere. At the end of last season, he said Drew took too much criticism for stuff that wasn't his fault and the coaches should have stepped in and taken the blame. Moreover, he went onto say that the offensive line was not giving him time to throw.

All GMs make a bad decision here and there. Even the best of the best do. And Donahoe made his mistake in the Bledsoe trade. Nevertheless, here's the problem I have. He has essentially based his actions over the past year and a half under the premise that Drew isn't broken and that he can and will lead this team to the playoffs. Thats why he hired offensive minded coaches to recussitate him and that's why he drafted Lee Evans.

Bottom line: this is a cold-hearted business. If your player is not producing for more than a half season you have to make a change, unless he is young and developing, of which Bledsoe is neither. In Tampa, Brad Johnson led them to a Super Bowl. Merely a year and a half later, Gruden KNOWS this guy is done and did everything he could this offseason to acquire Jeff Garcia and has now relegated him to the bench.

That's how it works. Good GMs and coaches realize when things aren't working and address it quickly. I havent seen that with Donahoe here. Given that it is the single most important position in professional sports, that worries me a bit.

Let me add my great post nod to the many already expressed. I don't know what's sillier, we morons who out up detailed posts or the morons who claim longer posts are a waste or time and then waste their time to read them. I guess even worse are those who see them as too long to read and give fact-free opinions (by definition since they didn't read it) that the post or poster is stupid.

Let me clue folks in , its too long for their attention defitict then don't read it.

At any rate, here's my too long cut on the OL from another post:

OL- It would have been wrong to expect JMac to be a miracle worker, particularly coming into the inheritance of players he got (particularly with MW's professionalism going south)). However, next year our hope for miracles in his second year is still outlandish but at least its reasonably outlandish. I suspect our line-up is: C- Teague has performed better and shows he has the intellect for the job. He could diagnose plays, is finally learning how to make shotgun snaps, and has always use athleticism to be an underweight blocker. However, he could not do all these things at the same time and the biggest improvement I see in his game is the ability to multi-task. I think you can build around him.

RG- Villareal is about at the same level as Ruben Brown, except Ruben was better because as a longtime Bill he coul lead and teach in ways Villareal could not. However, Villareal is now a Bill and I feel good about him at RG.

LG- Tucker really impressed me as a back-up center pressed into service by Teague's injury and the idea of making him the fulltime LG has some merit as we look to fill the Ruben hole. However, we need a serious back-up C and interior lineman and I do not feel bad at all about Tucker taking this duty if Lawrence Smith continues what has been an insane level of development by him. It would be asking a lot for him to merely become a real player for the Bills as a back-up as a UDFA off the Ravens PS. the idea of him stepping up to become our starter was insane. Thus I am not disappointed at all in that he is not starter material yet. if he grows over the off-season make him the starting LG. If not train him to be the R and L Guard back-up.

LT- Do not pay Jennnings big bucks. His history of injury is simply too dicey. LT is either my FA target (and everyone elses) or make Tucker the starting C and move Teague where he played for Denver and wanted to go anywya, or (possible but unlikely) if MW learns to be a professional as he seems to have learned it to LMac satisfaction then possibly if necessary consider the planned move to LT.

RT- I leave MW here unless we need him at LT in which case RT becomes an FA need or back-up tackle if we want to move Price to starter.

Back-up tackles- I like Price covering us at these two positions. Activating Peters as a tackle is also interesting.

Back-up guards- I like the idea of Tucker stepping into a startting slot and if this happens then train Smith the back-up both roles.

Back-up center- Tucker filled inwell for Teague, if he is the starting guard, if becomes important to train a back-up center though if Teague goes down moving Tucker over and Smith in at LG works. Maybe Sobieski finally pays off as a back-up C option.

I think we are in pretty good shape and agree that FA has little to offer beyond a speculative effort which may work but probably will not.

I think where we disagree iw that not only do I think we will not be able to resign Jennings I ddon't mind if we let him go. To fill the gap, I don't mind sending Teague there now that Tucker has demonstrated some ability. Failing that, I think the intent was always to move MW over there, but this idea obviously will not fly if MW will not even act like a professional.

However, he seems to be back on the right track now. I know that none other than JMac himself has introduced the concept of MW moving to guard, but this struck me as all about adjusting MW's attitude with the threat of hitting him in the purse. He has not struck me at all as having any inordinate agility issues with speed rushers but actually struck me as having inordinate problems figuring out stunts by inside rushers who ended up being his responsibility and co=ordinating with RGs like Pacillo. In terms of the OL as a whole it has been up the middle rushers bowling over Teague or an up the middle LB rush forcing the fumble that Seymour returned for a TD which has been the Bills problem.

Certainly all tackles get beat on occaision by outside rushes (ex. Schobel beat Ogden to get Boller( but I have not seen a lot of examples of the problem he sites. Its tough for me to give examples of a negative, but if he hassome case to be ade of specific MW speed rush problems beyond the occaisional mscue I'd love to hear about them from him or get the perspective of an OL watcher such as yourself. Do you see some huge outside rush problem from our RT?

Good points.

Good post, BUT, answer me this:

1) if TD has concentrated so much on the o-line, why is it that, but for a last-second find by John Guy of Lawrence Smith, we wouldn't even have a full starter at Left Guard?

2) isn't TD to blame not only for the Bledsoe acquisition, but also more importantly for NOT ADDRESSING THE QB SITUATION LAST OFFSEASON?  I mean, we went into camp last year with AVP as the backup and no viable young qb at the third spot.  That may have cost us both last year and now this year (and possibly next year depending on how quickly JP develops).

3) even if, as you say, Teague has become a good center and Jennings is a top-rated LT, I'm not sure they're fit for the SCHEME that Mularkey was hired to implement - POWER RUNNING.  Now, you're right that 5-6 guys can't block 8-9 guys, but that's especially the case where those 5-6 guys are finesse players built more for pass protection than power running - Mike Williams and Chris V are the exceptions to that, and that's why, unsurprisingly, we're most successful when running to the right side.  Teague, on the other hand, will never be the mauler that someone like Mawae is - he's more suited to a WCO in my opinion.  I'm just not sure TD has been on the same page with his coaches in terms of scheme/o-line fit, which makes sense given that he's been through 3 different offenses with some of these same linemen.

122176[/snapback]