The Compelling Case for Mike Leach as Head Coach

The Senator

Your obsession is clouding your already suspect judgement. His one dimensional offense would fail and others like it have failed. Speaking of one dimensional, your posts are tired.

Use the 'Ignore' feature - it's pretty easy, but I'll email you instructions if you need them.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Spurrier lite

Except that Spurrier has actually won something at the college level.

Your obsession is clouding your already suspect judgement. His one dimensional offense would fail and others like it have failed. Speaking of one dimensional, your posts are tired.

In all fairness, he did wait an entire day before posting this silliness.

Mike Leach is a one-trick pony and a loud-mouth diva to boot.

If someone is stupid enough to make him a head coach in the NFL, just wait until he tries those wide splits with his O-linemen and the opposing D-coordinator gives new meaning to "A-gap blitz". That stuff may work at the slower college level, but good luck with it in the pros.

Looking at his NFL draft record, the guy lures in good NFL-type receivers (because of his offenses) but his quarterbacks have so far proven to be "system" guys who can chuck it to a spot on the field then mix up the spots. Not much use in the pros.

Ol' Mike's got a hard enough time trying to finish .500 this year with his genius producing a 6-4 record with the Sooners coming up.

If Mike's smart, he realizes he's at best a college coach and stays there.

He's to the NFL what Yanni is to classical music: an overindulged simpleton

No thanks.

We need a PROVEN winner...after 10 years of garbage, its win now time I'm sorry. I do like your infatuation w/ this man though, if I didnt know anyone better I'd say its more than a man-crush, lol.

100% Agree.

I like Leach, but you need someone proven. Someone who can come in and say, 'because i said so' as he hold up a SB ring(s).

with all due respect to you guys getting on Leach as a "one trick pony" with a "gimmick" offense, i say you are mistaken. Innovative offenses come along all the time. Wildcat, K-gun, No-Huddle, Run and Shoot, Mike martz' greatest show on turf, etc etc. They sometimes work, and they sometimes fail. The thing I want to see from a coach is; can he get the most from his players? and can he win? So far, Leach has done that. The win against Texas last year was enormous. Can he do that at the next level? Who knows? Someday we may find out. I just hope it isn't against us twice a year.

Would I make Leach MY first choice? Maybe, but probably not. I would not be terribly upset if we hired him. I would certainly love the aggressive approach for a while, as opposed to Jauron Ball.

Senator----Rock on dude! now is the time to get your voice heard by the PTB at OBD. Dont go so far as to get banned, though. At least someone here knows who he wants to hire. :lol::wallbash:

Guest dog14787
with all due respect to you guys getting on Leach as a "one trick pony" with a "gimmick" offense, i say you are mistaken. Innovative offenses come along all the time. Wildcat, K-gun, No-Huddle, Run and Shoot, Mike martz' greatest show on turf, etc etc. They sometimes work, and they sometimes fail. The thing I want to see from a coach is; can he get the most from his players? and can he win? So far, Leach has done that. The win against Texas last year was enormous. Can he do that at the next level? Who knows? Someday we may find out. I just hope it isn't against us twice a year.

Would I make Leach MY first choice? Maybe, but probably not. I would not be terribly upset if we hired him. I would certainly love the aggressive approach for a while, as opposed to Jauron Ball.

Senator----Rock on dude! now is the time to get your voice heard by the PTB at OBD. Dont go so far as to get banned, though. At least someone here knows who he wants to hire. :doh::lol:

Bump,

I realize the thought of Cowher or Shanahan patroling the sidelines sounds really good, but just in case things don't work out here's another good option in my opinion.

Bump,

I realize the thought of Cowher or Shanahan patroling the sidelines sounds really good, but just in case things don't work out here's another good option in my opinion.

My favorite part about all of this insanity is that not only are we talking about a college coach, which is almost 100% of the time a bad idea, but a college coach that consistently loses against bigger faster defenses!

Good thing the players in the NFL aren’t big and fast...

Record against the marquis teams in the big 12:

Texas: 2-7

Oklahoma: 2-7

If you are so big on a coach that employs the spread why not drool all over Urban Meyer? :doh:

Guest dog14787
My favorite part about all of this insanity is that not only are we talking about a college coach, which is almost 100% of the time a bad idea, but a college coach that consistently loses against bigger faster defenses!

Good thing the players in the NFL aren’t big and fast...

Record against the marquis teams in the big 12:

Texas: 2-7

Oklahoma: 2-7

If you are so big on a coach that employs the spread why not drool all over Urban Meyer? :w00t:

Every once in awhile a fella comes along and he just defines what a good Football coach is all about, intelligent, creative, a great motivational speaker but more then anything else, he understands the game of football.

If you want to see a twinkle in Mike Leach's eyes just start talking linemen, and this is one of the most creative, offensively minded coaches in the nation.

I don't follow College like I do the NFL, but I'll be willing to bet Urban Meyer has learned a thing or two somewhere down the line from Mike Leach.

Mike Leach is a one-trick pony and a loud-mouth diva to boot.

If someone is stupid enough to make him a head coach in the NFL, just wait until he tries those wide splits with his O-linemen and the opposing D-coordinator gives new meaning to "A-gap blitz". That stuff may work at the slower college level, but good luck with it in the pros.

Looking at his NFL draft record, the guy lures in good NFL-type receivers (because of his offenses) but his quarterbacks have so far proven to be "system" guys who can chuck it to a spot on the field then mix up the spots. Not much use in the pros.

Ol' Mike's got a hard enough time trying to finish .500 this year with his genius producing a 6-4 record with the Sooners coming up.

If Mike's smart, he realizes he's at best a college coach and stays there.

He's to the NFL what Yanni is to classical music: an overindulged simpleton

No thanks.

Dumb argument. Not even an argument, really, just an uninformed opinion. Leach a "loud-mouthed diva"? Well, maybe, but a "one-trick pony"? Hardly. And I'm pretty sure Leach knows a thing or two about o-line play - certainly more than you and me, since his very first college coaching gig was o-line coach at Cal Polytech-San Luis Obispo.

It's just plain dumb to automatically assume that Leach would use that o-line formation in the pros, or that he'd do anything in the pros exactly the way he operates at Texas Tech. Did he line up his o-line like that when he was offensive coordinator at Oklahoma under Bob Stoops? How 'bout when he was OC at Kentucky? Was their o-line spread like Tech's? The reason he does that at Texas Tech is because of what he has to work with...

Mike Leach saw when he came to Texas Tech, that there was no way he would ever be able to match up with Texas, Oklahoma, A&M and the big boys by doing more of what they were doing. He was always going to have to settle for the second and third tier players. How do you win with talent like this? He widened the offensive line splits, so his diminutive quarterbacks would have lanes they could see and throw through as well as to make the edges so far outside that his quarterbacks would have more time against the incredible athleticism many Big 12 Defensive Ends have. Over the course of a game those long pass rushes tire out these monstrous defensive ends so by the fourth quarter his quarterbacks have all day to throw. The offensive line splits vary dramatically from 3 to 9 feet. This also gave his smaller offensive linemen nice angles for those big defensive linemen aligned in the gaps.

He committed to passing the ball first, with most seasons averaging over 55 throws per game, and to throwing the ball with just a few concepts. Coach Leach does NOT have a huge play card filled with hundreds of plays and down and distance material, he has a simple piece of non laminated paper with about 30 plays on it. He committed to running those few concepts out of many formations and looks.

How and why does it work? The precision of his receiver's routes are second to none. Watch them sometimes, you will not see anything like it anywhere. The timing, the execution in uncanny. There is nothing revolutionary about these football plays, it is the execution that is flawless and revolutionary. The pass protection is equally as flawless, the Tech quarterback has been sacked just twice so far this season.

(excerpted from 'Youth Football the Texas Tech Mike Leach Way' - link)

Now some folks who are woefully uniformed - yet seem to talk like they know much more about the game than Leach - would call his scheme 'gimmicky', I know. But I call it adapting to the strengths and weaknesses of the players on his roster, and finding a way to neutralize any built-in advantage his opponents might have. And that, my friend, is one of the traits of a GREAT coach, and is also something we have not seen in a Buffalo Bills coach in over a decade.

I'll be tuned in to the TT/OU game Saturday - OU hasn't won on the road much (1-4 in road games this season), and hasn't won in Lubbock since 2003. With Sam Bradford's Oklahoma career over, I don't think "Ol' Mike" will have much trouble with the Sooners.

And, finally, your Yanni analogy is ridiculous. What Yanni plays cannot - by any stretch of the imagination - be called "classical music". Nor is the 'musical circle' in which Yanni travels anywhere even close the the legitimate world of serious composers like Steven Stucky, et al. Yanni has simply found a easy way to make a living - by catering to 'overindulged simpletons' who only think they are listening to 'classical' music but, in reality, have no idea what 'classical' music is.

Now, I understand that some will crusade for a well-known name and the NFL experience of guys like Shanahan, Cowher, Shottenheimer, etc., but the Bills are doing themselves a HUGE disservice if they don't interview and give SERIOUS consideration to...

Mike Leach

So Mr. Wilson finally swallowed that bitter pill and jettisoned Dick Jauron - by all accounts a fine a decent man, but a disaster as the Bills head coach.

Now Ralph has a glorious opportunity to demonstrate why he's in the NFL Hall of Fame by hiring the next great NFL head coach, and it will be a marketeer's dream-come-true for Russ Brandon. The man is, of course...

Mike Leach - Talks Football, Global Warming, and Madonna

The logic:

1) Mike Leach is unquestionably one of the most innovative minds in football, an offensive genius with a record of success as OC and HC at Oklahoma and Texas Tech - particularly with QBs, but also receivers - and a resume that includes stints as defensive coordinator, o-line coach, and qb's coach. If you want to turn the Bills offense around 180-degrees (and that's what needs to be done), Leach is your guy.

2) Leach is a marketeer's dream - after 3.5 ( :lol: ) years of the soporific Dick Jauron, Mike Leach will provide some comic relief to go with his overwhelming competence, and will be one of the most sought-after interviews in all of sports. Ralph and Russ need to create some buzz to ameliorate the undercurrent of ill-will that will no doubt manifest itself at season-ticket renewal time - Mike Leach is 'instant buzz'; just add water.

Want to see you're team's head coach featured on...

or

Buffalo has not embraced a head coach since Marv Levy, with the possible exception of Wade Phillips - Leach would be a huge hit here in The BuffTown. Just imagine Leach doing the weather on the 6 o'clock news...

3) He's affordable, and available. Yeah, he just signed an extension at TT, but being the Pepperdine Juris Doctor he is, managed to get the buyout clause removed, and he's making less than Jauron was/is being paid as the Bills head coach. And there are rumors that Louisville is looking to lure him away from Lubbock.

Of course, all that is secondary to winning, which is all Leach does. He has a no-nonsense approach and tolerates no slackers - I guarantee there'd be no coddling of players, no indoor practices in inclement weather...

"As coaches, you put pressure on yourself to improve, because ultimately the blame lies there,” Leach said. "Anybody that’s not on board, you get rid of them. It doesn’t matter if it’s a player or a coach or somebody in the background… if they’re not on board, you get rid of them.”

Someone's gonna lure this guy to the NFL, Russ/Ralph - don't let it be the Dolphins, the Jets, or - God-forbid - the Cheatriettes*! Belichick? Smellichick! This is Mr. Wilson's opportunity to hire the genius that will put the Bills on a lasting, winning track, and show the whole football world why he's in the Hall of Fame!

Time to 'find your inner pirate', Ralph. Swing your sword.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!!! :lol:

i got two words for you, steve spurrier

If he's such a great coach then why are other COLEGE teams not lining up at his door? And thanks for the college football lesson about the spread. The point is not that he runs the spread, BUT IT"S THE ONLY OFFENSE THAT HE"S EVER RUN! His offense doesn't work in the NFL and after almost 20 years of running the spread, you think he's going to have a seamless transition into a balanced pro style offense? There are a ton of "offensive genius's" in college football who have been 100x's more successful then Leach (Rich Rod, Meyer, C. Peterson) but there is a reason that they are not in the NFL.

I got five words for you - Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer. :lol:

I've already commented on Spurrier - Steve Spurrier was a lazy 'tard who never bothered to read an entire thread before rehashing a tired argument that's already been rebutted. Plus he had a lousy work ethic - he eschwed the long, grinding hours that go along with an NFL coaching gig, openly mocking Joe Gibbs and others for having cots in their offices and spending all-nighters preparing for game day. In the end, he was just too overwhelmed by the job and actually wanted out.

Mike Leach is the 180-degree opposite - the man is a meticulous game-planner, typically works 'til around 2 AM, and is totally consumed by football.

I got five words for you - Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer. :lol:

I'll give you Jimmy Johnson but there is a caveat. Johnson was the architect of one of the biggest and most imbalanced trades in the history of the NFL. When that Walker trade went down it was like giving Dallas 2 drafts in one year. That team was so talented from top to bottom that Jerry Glanville could have won with them.

Switzer is an idiot who basically gravy trained his way to a SB victory.

I'll give you Jimmy Johnson but there is a caveat. Johnson was the architect of one of the biggest and most imbalanced trades in the history of the NFL. When that Walker trade went down it was like giving Dallas 2 drafts in one year. That team was so talented from top to bottom that Jerry Glanville could have won with them.

Switzer is an idiot who basically gravy trained his way to a SB victory.

Switzer the GW Bush of the NFL coaches!

I think 'bizarre obsession' would be more fitting.

Switzer the GW Bush of the NFL coaches!

No, Switzer was the Bill Clinton of NFL coaches. No clue what he's doing, but was handed a perfect situation so he could just put it on autopilot and ignore the fact that it was falling apart from within.

Jauron was the GW Bush of coaches. Also had no clue what he was doing but he made a bad situation worse with his incompetence.

I love how people write "undeniably the most innovative football mind in the nation" like it's some kind of fact carved in stone. It's not a fact. It's an opinion. One lucky Crabtree TD and this guy is a genius. What is the record of college "genius" coaches in the NFL? Not good.

PTR

I love how people write "undeniably the most innovative football mind in the nation" like it's some kind of fact carved in stone. It's not a fact. It's an opinion. One lucky Crabtree TD and this guy is a genius. What is the record of college "genius" coaches in the NFL? Not good.

PTR

you dont feel "compelled"? :lol: