The Compelling Case for Mike Leach as Head Coach

The Senator

The only way Ralph will get people in the seats next year is to sign a big name coach in my opinion. I am not much of a college football guy so i have no idea who Mike Leach is. I believe there are alot of people like me.

If Ralph is smart he will spend the money to get a Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, etc... to breath some life back into the fan base. It's what they did with TO last year and it worked wonders.

I personally want Mike Shanahan. He went to Superbowls, numerous playoffs, groomed a few QB's, always had rock solid Offensive Lines. He only weak point is defense. Hopefully he will be smart and turn over defense like Mike Mccarthy did in Green Bay and switch to a 3-4.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Shanahan is an offensive stud.

Bring the 3-4 back to Buffalo. 6 of the 7 front seven are already here:

DE- Stroud

DE- Williams/Kelsay

NT- draft in '10

OLB- Schoebel

OLB- Maybin

ILB- Poz

ILB- Mitchell

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I would give him an interview just to see what he would do with Jackson, Lynch and Evans ,Hardy, and even Roscoe and Stevie Johnson.

why not??

I would like to see Shanahan or Marty Ball because they would be able to attract better Coordinators.

But Leach is an interesting thought.

But it's an entertaining, well-mannered, and non-retarded crusade, which differentiate it from the vast majority of crusades. The rule was undoubtedly drafted to stop boring, offensive/adversarial, and retarded crusades -- the admins probably weren't contemplating the Pirate Campaign.

Agreed - it's an enjoyable, entertaining crusade.

Dumbest comparison I ever heard. Spurrier had a sh*tty work ethic. He eschewed the typical NFL coach's long hours for the golf course and, in the end, actually wanted out of his gig as Redskins' coach.

I agree it is a dumb comparison; Spurrier actually won something at the college level.

Hey I would give him an interview just to see what he would do with Jackson, Lynch and Evans ,Hardy, and even Roscoe and Stevie Johnson.

why not??

I would like to see Shanahan or Marty Ball because they would be able to attract better Coordinators.

But Leach is an interesting thought.

Leach would spread five of 'em across the field, and call about 70 pass plays. And they'd run their routes with the precision of a Wes Welker or Michael Crabtree. And score about 50 points a game.

BTW, Leach has no OC - he's his own OC/QB coach. (Further $$savings$$, Ralph - if you're listening! :unsure: )

Nick Saban. Bobby Petrino.

Jimmy Johnson. Barry Switzer.

We need a PROVEN winner...after 10 years of garbage, its win now time I'm sorry.

Yeah that would be Mike Leach, unless you can think of a losing program that he's ever been associated with.

How many times must this be posted to label it as a crusade, which is clearly is?

Yeah there happens to be a head coaching vacancy that didn't exist before, so you're probably going to see a lot of posters making a case for a lot of different head coach candidates - I'm just trying to make a compelling case for the guy I think would be a perfect fit for this team.

The only way Ralph will get people in the seats next year is to sign a big name coach in my opinion. I am not much of a college football guy so i have no idea who Mike Leach is.

Then let me introduce you to...

(hope your girlfriend's not fat)

Leach would spread five of 'em across the field, and call about 70 pass plays. And they'd run their routes with the precision of a Wes Welker or Michael Crabtree. And score about 50 points a game.

BTW, Leach has no OC - he's his own OC/QB coach. (Further $$savings$$, Ralph - if you're listening! :unsure: )

Jimmy Johnson. Barry Switzer.

Yeah that would be Mike Leach, unless you can think of a losing program that he's ever been associated with.

Yeah there happens to be a head coaching vacancy that didn't exist before, so you're probably going to see a lot of posters making a case for a lot of different head coach candidates - I'm just trying to make a compelling case for the guy I think would be a perfect fit for this team.

Then let me introduce you to...

(hope your girlfriend's not fat)

My only guess is that your Mike Leach. Otherwise you are Fu$king INSANE.

Guest dog14787
My only guess is that your Mike Leach. Otherwise you are Fu$king INSANE.

Mike Leach is one of the most brilliant and creative offensive minded coach's in the nation.

Mike Leach is one of the most brilliant and creative offensive minded coach's in the nation.

No he is not. Look no further then the last couple of times his teams have played in the Cotton Bowl against good SEC defenses.

Hey man, nice shot... seriously don't do it... the last individual that I saw here that carried on in a maniacal sense was someone pimping Joey Harrington for the 2002 draft... yeah you ol timers remember. :unsure:

what happened to that poster? B-)

Ghost of T-80? Something like that.

don't go pulling a Bud Dwyer when Mike Leach isn't hired to be the next Bills' head coach.

:lol::wallbash:

Oh heck no - I'll just continue to enjoy Leach's antics in Lubbock, or at Louisville, or USC, or wherever he ends up next. Just hope it's not one of the Bills division rivals.

But it's worth a try - last time I 'crusaded' for anyone, Levy ended up at OBD. (Don't blame me though - I was crusading for him to return as HC, not GM!)

Love to see what Leach could do with our receivers corp - this from Scott Pelly's 60 Minutes segment on Leach...

"If you look at what Mike Leach has done for players, what he has gotten out of players, it's like magic," writer Mike Lewis said.

Lewis wrote "Moneyball," a book about how disadvantaged teams succeed in elite sports. "It's as if when he walks into a football program and grabs the quarterback, he sprinkles fairy dust on him, because the quarterback becomes a different human being," he said.

The "fairy dust" is Leach's inventive offense. It's a high speed aerial assault. Most teams run 70 plays in a game; Tech runs 90.

link

But my favorite part is Leach talking about the O-line, where everything starts (and ends)...

"I mean the reason they have football is because of the big guys and the, you know, when O Line D Line go one on one and you just get incredibly violent I mean that's what it's all about," he told Pelley. "And you get to see those guys just to war, you know? And it's got all the things that football entails. There's shouting, there's blood, there's boogers, there's a whole thing. I mean, there's spitting, there's fighting, there's ripped jerseys. There's someone grabbing someone's throat. I mean, it's why you have football."

Mike Leach on the Importance of the Offensive Line

Or another Jimmy Johnson.

I take it you would prefer another NFL head coach retread or offensive/defensive coordinator failure instead? :lol:

Yeah, let's experiment with a college system which has never proven itself successful in the NFL.

I'm sick of experiments at our Head Coaching position. You're asking for another one.

I'd much prefer another NFL head coach retread who has proven they can get us to the playoffs, like a Marty S, Shanahan, etc. over another experiment.