Marty Schottenheimer

rpcolosi

I've been saying it for awhile. We need him. this is the perfect team and perfect situation for it. We need a guy with his personality and his ideas. we need a coach who can take guys and make them better than they are.

He comes from arguably the best Bills coach of all time's lineage in Lou Saban... Coaches such as Wisenhunt, Cowher, Dungy have all come from his lineage. He won't be as pricey as say Cowher or Shannahan but he will want to bring in his own guys to coach - by all means.

He has never been to the super bowl.. we have never won it. I know its cheesy but that be one heck of a story. I'd really hope Brandon and Ralph at least offer him an interview and get his take on our situation. We just really could use an old school coach such as him.

Can we buy a billboard asking for him to come back home to Buffalo? (and Gabriel as GM and move brandon to team president/CEO as per Sully?)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree, he has said several times on Sirius NFL that he thinks very highly of the western NY area and it's people He might be able to light a fire under some of these players. Wonder if Ted C would come back to Buffalo and leave that awesome UFL job. going back to the 3-4 easier than you think, all Buffalo needs is a NT, Shaun Rogers could be had for a 4th rounder, Jamal Williams may be cut, Wilfork and Hampton are FA, Johnson-Rogers-Stroud as Buffalo's front three.

Schobel-Mitchell-Poz-Maybin as the Linebackers...Buffalo might stop the run?

I think Marty is the best available coach. He has won and had playoff teams in three different cities. The only knock I can see on Marty is that his playoff record is not good, but it has been so long since the Bills have even sniffed the playoffs, I would take just getting into the playoffs for awhile. I'd love to see him come to Buffalo.

Agree, he has said several times on Sirius NFL that he thinks very highly of the western NY area and it's people He might be able to light a fire under some of these players. Wonder if Ted C would come back to Buffalo and leave that awesome UFL job. going back to the 3-4 easier than you think, all Buffalo needs is a NT, Shaun Rogers could be had for a 4th rounder, Jamal Williams may be cut, Wilfork and Hampton are FA, Johnson-Rogers-Stroud as Buffalo's front three.

Schobel-Mitchell-Poz-Maybin as the Linebackers...Buffalo might stop the run?

+1

Ive said that for a while that you could easily make the switch with the size you have. I know Stroud is small for a NT in a 3-4 but you might even be able to use him for a year if you moved Kyle Williams and Spencer Johnson to end. But if were going to blow the whole thing up why stop early. Bring in a Wilfork, a good OLB, draft a bunch of LB's in the draft and you have a decent defense if some of those guys work out.

Marty-ball would be perfect in the elements of Buffalo.

Michael Lombardi's article makes perfect sense. Buffalo needs two massive lines that dominate the opposing teams. Parcells has said that Buffalo is the ideal location for football. I sure wish Parcells was available for GM/ President.

Marty-ball would be perfect in the elements of Buffalo....Michael Lombardi's article makes perfect sense. Buffalo needs two massive lines that dominate the opposing teams.

Greetings! First time posting for me. Long time reader of this forum, season ticket holder, lifelong fan and not about to jump ship.

Marty S. is my absolute top choice for all the reasons posted. This guy wins and wins by pounding it. Once you hit October here, that's the way to play winning football. I don’t think we're going to get another Jim Kelly anytime soon. Regarding Marty not winning a Super Bowl, neither have we. Let's get together and remedy that piece of history for everyone.

Michael Lombardi's article makes perfect sense. Buffalo needs two massive lines that dominate the opposing teams. Parcells has said that Buffalo is the ideal location for football. I sure wish Parcells was available for GM/ President.

Is there a link to this comment from Parcells? I am not doubting he said it, but I would like to see the context.

Was he saying it is a perfect place for football - because any team he brings in to play the Bills - wins?

with Schottenheimer you may get to the playoffs, you just won't win any games once you get there

Which would be a pretty huge upgrade for this franchaise.

Schottenheimer is the most accomplished guy that would even consider coming to Buffalo or that Ralph would even consider paying the asking price.

Which would be a pretty huge upgrade for this franchaise.

Schottenheimer is the most accomplished guy that would even consider coming to Buffalo or that Ralph would even consider paying the asking price.

Agree completely. If Marty wanted it, I'd be thrilled if Ralph hired Marty.

I've been saying it for awhile. We need him. this is the perfect team and perfect situation for it. We need a guy with his personality and his ideas. we need a coach who can take guys and make them better than they are.

He comes from arguably the best Bills coach of all time's lineage in Lou Saban... Coaches such as Wisenhunt, Cowher, Dungy have all come from his lineage. He won't be as pricey as say Cowher or Shannahan but he will want to bring in his own guys to coach - by all means.

He has never been to the super bowl.. we have never won it. I know its cheesy but that be one heck of a story. I'd really hope Brandon and Ralph at least offer him an interview and get his take on our situation. We just really could use an old school coach such as him.

Can we buy a billboard asking for him to come back home to Buffalo? (and Gabriel as GM and move brandon to team president/CEO as per Sully?)

I dont get the love fest for Schottenheimer. Everyone hated Dicks conservative play-not-to-lose style, and now you want to bring in "Marty Ball" - what gives? The over conservative "Marty Ball" does not work in the NFL - just look at his playoff record. Just say no to Schottenheimer.. :rolleyes: I agree with the lines comments though - our team should be built liek Minn. - just dont confuse Marty with Run first and stop the run.

I dont get the love fest for Schottenheimer. Everyone hated Dicks conservative play-not-to-lose style, and now you want to bring in "Marty Ball" - what gives? The over conservative "Marty Ball" does not work in the NFL - just look at his playoff record. Just say no to Schottenheimer.. :rolleyes: I agree with the lines comments though - our team should be built liek Minn. - just dont confuse Marty with Run first and stop the run.

Marty Ball does work... he totally turned around the Chargers, and has gotten teams to the playoffs no matter where he has coached.. He has done that everywhere he has gone. It's winning in the postseason where he has the problem. However, since we haven't even been there in 10 seasons, it seems like a good place to start.

Think about this: In 21 years of him being a Head Coach in this league, Marty Schottenheimer has had only 2 losing seasons.

Marty Ball was made for Buffalo. Buffalo was made for Marty.

Marty would be a clear step-up here, but the problem is that after going 0 for about a decade being a step-up here does not mean that your team wins playoff games (much less the holy grail of an SB win).

Marty would almost certainly be a step-up here but he simply does not have the proven track record of winning consistently in playoff games or winning (or even making it to) the SB.

The issues I see are:

1. Folks who have led teams to SB wins are potentially out there (Shanahan, Holmgren, Gruden, and Cowher all have won the SB and are not HCs right now). There are legitimate questions as to whether Buffalo could attract one of them even in an employers market which given the few NFL HC gigs available is usually the case. But we are talking possibilities even remote ones the day after the canning.

2. Talk is that Marty loves the Buffalo area but that he does not like Mr. Ralphn. Given that our owner has routinely exercised his economic right to meddle and has done so with disastrous football outcomes, it would seem reasonable to ask for some sort of showing Marty would come here from those who advocate his hiring.

The over conservative "Marty Ball" does not work in the NFL - just look at his playoff record.

I would say the fact that he actually HAS a playoff record -- 13 out of 21 years -- is evidence that his systems do work. That's a lot to dismiss for a franchise that hasn't sniffed the postseason in a decade and counting.

I kind of prefer the interior O-line we have now to the terrible giants we've had the previous ten years - big lines don't work like they used to as Joe Gibbs discovered when he returned to the Skins. Definitely need better, tougher, tackles. Agree on defensive side - especially at DT. I've always preferred two giants in the middle.