Thank God the Sabres are winning...

sharper802

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst thing is I can't get a refund on Sunday Ticket.

After the fourth quarter meltdown, we started playing Tevo'd highlights from the Sabres games this weekend...even if it's only temporary, their current success is helping to numb the pain.

Guest dog14787

Rookie Tyler Myers is a future NHL superstar except I don't think this kids waiting for the future and Miller is in a league all his own.

Yup, there's allot to like about the Sabres so far this season. :oops:

The worst thing is I can't get a refund on Sunday Ticket.

Sorry , but I never really got the "good thing the Sabres are winning" thing. Hockey isn't football, not even close. The rest of the country yawns when hockey is mentioned on sports radio, ESPN, etc. It hardly matters, and the sport just doesn't compare to football. It's really no consolation for the performance of our NFL team at all.

Guest dog14787
Sorry , but I never really got the "good thing the Sabres are winning" thing. Hockey isn't football, not even close. The rest of the country yawns when hockey is mentioned on sports radio, ESPN, etc. It hardly matters, and the sport just doesn't compare to football. It's really no consolation for the performance of our NFL team at all.

I think the message the poster was trying to convey is it helps to have another team playing for the city of Buffalo we can still feel good about, but hey, I love hockey.

It's all relative. Some people bleed hockey like others bleed football. I agree with your point that nationally the recognition isn't even comparable, but to the individual sports fan that doesn't matter. If you have a passion for hockey, the amount of coverage it gets on ESPN isn't going to affect your love for the game.

It also has to do with the fact that as far as "major" pro sports teams go, Buffalo only has the Bills and the Sabres. The two will always be linked/compared for that very reason.

I am originally from MA, but I grew up a Die Hard Bills fan. I didn't get into hockey until the last year or so, and my fellow Bills fans/friends helped get me into the Sabres.

I root for the Sabres because I root for Buffalo, my adopted second home...

The Sabs are looking good, aren't they? But don't get too far ahead of yourself. The hockey season is a long grind, and the 8th place team in each conference usually needs to finish at least 10 games over .500 to sneak in to the playoffs. As great as the Sabres have started, at this point they are only 8 games over .500, yet we think they are awesome because the rest of the division is off to a slower start then they are. As the season rolls along, the good teams get better, and the pretenders drop out of the top 8 by the end of the 82 games:

Last years' 8th Place Teams:

1) East - Montreal; 41-30-11-93 Points, 11 games over .500

2) West - Anaheim 42-33 - 7- 91 Points, 8 games over .500

You might think it should be no problem for the Sabres to play at or just over .500 hockey the rest of the season, but they haven't for two straight years now, and I jut hope they can stay away from those long losing streaks this year and not only sneak into the playoffs, but actually get home ice advantage by finishing no worse then 4th.

As for the Bills, everything has blown up in Ralph Wilsons and Russ Brandons faces, so it will be intersting to see who is hired in January to come in and start over again, won't it?

Actually, if you count OTL as losses (and you should because that's what they are), the Sabres currently stand 7 games over .500 after 17 games played.

Looking at the 8th place teams from last season using the same math, Montreal was exactly .500 (41-41). Anaheim was 2 games over .500 (42-40). The Sabres were 41-32-9 last season, or 41-41 for a .500 record (The Canadiens had the good fortune to lose two more games in the OT/SO than the Sabres).

So a team has to play roughly around .500 to make the playoffs. Since the Sabres are currently 7 games over .500 near the quarter pole, there's good reason for excitement this early in the season for the team.

Of course it is a long season and the team still needs to prove that it can play consistently, but comparing their encouraging start against the Bills bumbling should be encouraging for Buffalo fans.

If the Stanley Cup were awarded in November, the Sabres would have several.

It is a great start though. I'm pissed it's an Olympic year. Go figure, Miller has been outstanding and then he's going to be gassed after some heavy duty usage in the Olympics. my "Buffalo curse" mentality is convinced he will pull a hammy or mess up his knee or something awful.....thereby killing the Sabres chance for a cup.

Rookie Tyler Myers is a future NHL superstar except I don't think this kids waiting for the future and Miller is in a league all his own.

Yup, there's allot to like about the Sabres so far this season. :thumbsup:

Miller is off to a great start and is the Sabres MVP so far this season.

The Sabs are looking good, aren't they? But don't get too far ahead of yourself. The hockey season is a long grind, and the 8th place team in each conference usually needs to finish at least 10 games over .500 to sneak in to the playoffs. As great as the Sabres have started, at this point they are only 8 games over .500, yet we think they are awesome because the rest of the division is off to a slower start then they are. As the season rolls along, the good teams get better, and the pretenders drop out of the top 8 by the end of the 82 games:

You might think it should be no problem for the Sabres to play at or just over .500 hockey the rest of the season, but they haven't for two straight years now, and I jut hope they can stay away from those long losing streaks this year and not only sneak into the playoffs, but actually get home ice advantage by finishing no worse then 4th.

As for the Bills, everything has blown up in Ralph Wilsons and Russ Brandons faces, so it will be intersting to see who is hired in January to come in and start over again, won't it?

They are only 8 games over because they've only played 16 games. They are over .750 winning pct. But I know what you mean, They started hot last year too. I'm feeling very smart for buying Sabres season tickets this year.

PTR

Hockey > football, IMO, and I don't give a rat's ass what the rest of the country thinks.

If you're not a Sabres fan and don't really have a clue, this is how we're doing right now... Take everything that's gone on with the Bills, make it the complete opposite, and that's the Buffalo Sabres. They have sucked for 2 and a half years now (yeah, they started sucking midway through their President's Trophy season) and have turned it around from within... Something we were all hoping the Bills would have done this year. If you haven't seen a game yet, tune in. Oh yeah, since i'm a mod, I'll plug TBD's sister site, SabreSpace. www.sabrespace.com Many regulars here post over there, the forum is set up exactly the same, and there's minimal amounts of rubbish posts over there. I'll pull the smug card in regards to how hockey fans are "smarter" than football fans. Come on over Wednesday night as we look to thump the Panthers.

I don't really care what the rest of the country thinks.

Agree to disagree..The rest of the country doesn't know what they are missing. I love hockey personally. The NFL should list a police blotter next to its statistics column in the newspaper for its players weekly arrests. That to me is a turn off....

Oh well...just my thoughts ...sorry.

I don't really care what the rest of the country thinks.

But this is the same rest of the country that makes shows like American Idol kill in the ratings battles. Clearly they know what they're talking about. :(

Another positive statement from a downtrodden Buffalo Sports fan. I bet you are a Cubs baseball fan too.... :(