Homerun throw"forward"

mwclark23

For those of us who want to relive the days when the Bills where in the post season, the NFL Network is airing the Bills Titans* playoff game on Saturday. Let the banter begin about who was a better, qb, DF or RJ, or was Wade a good HC, certainly better then Dickie J. It will take me back to when the Bills actually mattered! Another year of season tickets down the drain. Brings up the question what could I have done with my $2700.00 instead of buying JKC seasons????

I would of spent a week in San Juan....

This is where my hatred for instant replay began - which I was discussing in another thread. How the f*** did they not rule that a forward pass? Why waste my time reviewing it when you arent going to overturn it and make the right call anyways. Without replay I could atleast chaulk it up to "the refs just made an error and missed it - sucks for us" but no, they had to review it for what seemed like 15 minutes, then STILL MAKE THE OBVIOUS WRONG F***ING CALL!. AND BRETT HULL WAS IN THE CREASE! GOD DAMNIT!

http://willfulcaboose.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/hull.jpg

I hate my life

What would have been if the refs had done their job in that game. I really think that we could have gone to the Super Bowl.

We got hosed on some very important calls in that game.

How hard is it to cover a freakin' kickoff? Do that and we win.

PTR

*blasphemy alert*

In my opinion, the refs got the right call on that play.

I'll be as blasphemus as you...I think the refs got it right because (IMO) the ball traveled pretty much parallel to the line on the field, almost exactly perpendicular to the sideline. I don't remember if there was a ref on that line, but had he thrown the flag, it probably would've been overturned.

(I'm just pissed at the choice for starting QB)

Me too. I didn't think Johnson played terrible in that game, but having Flutie in there would likely have made it a completely different game.

And I'll echo what PTR said - cover the kickoff and the Bills move on to Jacksonville.

It shouldn't have came down to a kickoff. The game clock should have been taken down to :04 seconds, take a timeout or spike the ball, then kick the FG so no time was left on the clock. Dumb mistake by either Johnson or the coaches.

But it did. Just tackle the fu%$%^ken guy.

It shouldn't have came down to a kickoff. The game clock should have been taken down to :04 seconds, take a timeout or spike the ball, then kick the FG so no time was left on the clock. Dumb mistake by either Johnson or the coaches.

Right...even though they still should've covered the kickoff.

I remember asking why they were kicking with 20 seconds left. There was plenty of time to get closer - even if they ran the ball or completed a pass in bounds, they could have still spiked the ball with about 4-5 seconds left.

I'll be as blasphemus as you...I think the refs got it right because (IMO) the ball traveled pretty much parallel to the line on the field, almost exactly perpendicular to the sideline. I don't remember if there was a ref on that line, but had he thrown the flag, it probably would've been overturned.

Me too. I didn't think Johnson played terrible in that game, but having Flutie in there would likely have made it a completely different game.

And I'll echo what PTR said - cover the kickoff and the Bills move on to Jacksonville.

I agree. I definitely was in favor of Flutie, but if they really wanted Johnson as starting QB, they should have made the move no later than week 8. In the first half of the playoff game vs the Titans, there were so many false start penalties, which backed us up to our end zone and Johnson ended up getting a safety. Johnson was not horrible in that game and he played good with driving us down the field for the FG, but he left about 20 seconds on the game clock and it came back to haunt us on the kickoff. I still believe if Flutie was the starting QB, we would have won the game. Even Wade stated on the NFL network: "In hindight, Doug would have won us the game".

I agree. I definitely was in favor of Flutie, but if they really wanted Johnson as starting QB, they should have made the move no later than week 8. In the first half of the playoff game vs the Titans, there were so many false start penalties, which backed us up to our end zone and Johnson ended up getting a safety. Johnson was not horrible in that game and he played good with driving us down the field for the FG, but he left about 20 seconds on the game clock and it came back to haunt us on the kickoff. I still believe if Flutie was the starting QB, we would have won the game. Even Wade stated on the NFL network: "In hindight, Doug would have won us the game".

Which goes to show you who was making the decisions. Johnson's only start that year was the final game against Indy's backups. I think the Bills won something like 31-6 with RJ having one of those "I'm going to be a free agent soon" games. With the money they were paying RJ, someone probably figured it was time for him to earn it.

But when your starting QB takes you a 10-5 record....yeah, the right thing to do was start the #2 guy in the playoffs. :wallbash:

The first statement is incorrect, IMO.. Whatever call was made on the field would have been upheld. There was not enough evidence either way to overturn a call.

Flutie plays and we win. Johnson played and we should have won.

Which goes to show you who was making the decisions. Johnson's only start that year was the final game against Indy's backups. I think the Bills won something like 31-6 with RJ having one of those "I'm going to be a free agent soon" games. With the money they were paying RJ, someone probably figured it was time for him to earn it.

But when your starting QB takes you a 10-5 record....yeah, the right thing to do was start the #2 guy in the playoffs. :wallbash:

I agree. It was our backups versus the Colts backups. Just because you play good against backups, it does not mean you're ready to play against starters in the playoffs. With Flutie having a 10-5 record that season, he should have been able to finish the job in the playoffs.

What would have been if the refs had done their job in that game. I really think that we could have gone to the Super Bowl.

We got hosed on some very important calls in that game.

Agreed. I said it before and after that game.. . the winner of that game goes to the Super Bowl. The Titans and Bills were the two toughest AFC teams that year. We both had better defenses than the other AFC playoff teams. About the game, well it's like I've said since then... being a Bills fan ain't for the faint of heart.

Wasn't there a professor form RIT who triangulated different angles of the footage and proved the pass did travel forward?

Yes, as I recall. I also recall Tim Russert mentioning that on Meet the Press when he had Gore (not Frank) on.

Trying yet again to put to rest the "Bills played against the Colts backups" ...

While the Bills were locked into their playoff seed and rested several starters, Indy was still playing for home-field advantage that day -- both they and Jacksonville were 13-2, 9-2 in conference, and unbeaten against common opponents. If both teams won their final game, the tiebreaker would have come down to net points in conference games -- Jax was +81 after 15 games, Indy +67, so the Colts knew they'd need to win by at least two touchdowns more than the Jags did.

(This per Lary Bump, in that week's Shout! magazine game preview.)

Manning was 18-for-29, Edge James had 18 of the Colts' 19 rushing attempts, and they didn't pull their starters until they were down big and they knew Jacksonville was up 10 on Cincinnati.