What kind of dog you got?

Stl Bills

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rescued a 2 year old bichon frise/mutt mix from the shelter. He's ~21 pounds, so twice the size of a "real" bichon frise.

Here's his picture before we had him groomed (he looks tiny here, but he's really not - just the angle):

http://www.fezam.com/puppy.jpg

Now he doesn't look quite as much like a dust mop. :nana:

His previous owners had him pretty well trained - he knew a few basic obedience commands, and we've been working with him on improving it. He can do a 1-2 minute long "stay" command, even if we walk out of his sight. Very cool. :thumbsup: He's also usually good at "drop it" and "leave it," which is nice. :nana:

I'm not a huge dog fan (they're a lot of work...), but my wife loves him and I have to admit, he's pretty cool overall. Except when he barks because he wants attention. :P

Yeah, you can't tell our Bichon that he's supposed to be a foofy dog.

A Golden Retriever. He's my 6th, over almost 40 years.

The first two I raised from pups, 3,4 and 5 were "senior" Rescue Dogs, and #6 was found at the SPCA via their web site.

When the last "senior" died, we wanted to rescue a younger dog, who would hopefully live longer. The Rescue group wouldn't consider us for a younger dog because we don't have a fenced yard. We're not the type to let the dog out to run by himself but that didn't matter with them.

So I started to look online and found a 12-15 month pure bred pup at the SPCA. He was very wild and high energy but we'll have had him a year, next month, and he's the BEST! He's very smart and gets better by the day. Great disposition, loves kids and everyone else. If you don't mind the dog hair, they are great dogs!

Boxer mutt. We know about the boxer but what he's mixed with is anyone's guess. We've probably gotten about a dozen different guesses. Got him from a no-kill rescue group when we still lived in Florida. They had picked him and his brothers/sisters up when the mother was hit by a car.

Pretty smart dog (for the most part) tough little guy (mentally and physically - he had his share of scraps at the dog park and also survived a bout of Parvo) and is excellent with my little guy, very patient, loves to play.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/bmw...ary20050006.jpg

I have 2 Basenji dogs.

Zoey will be 10 this month, Niko will turn 3.

Basenji's are known as the barkless dog from Africa.

Out of Africa, the Basenji was originally found in the Congo. He uses both scent and sight to hunt and was originally used to flush small game into a hunter's nets and to control village rodent populations. Clever and endearing, he's a good companion for the person or family who can stay a step ahead of him.

Whenever I hear or read "Bichon" all I can think of is the song by Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, "Underage Bichon". :wallbash:

Tell me about it! Our dog was totally insulted when he heard that. Complained for weeks. Now he barks at the TV every time Triumph is on. I have to tell him to chill.

I have 2 doberman. Female, almost 9, named Auslese (Owsh-lay-sa). Male, 2, named Diesel. We rescued both and named neither.

Auslese was emaciated with a crushed front leg. When she was taken from the piece of **** who had her, she weighed 44 pounds. She now weighs about 90. Perhaps the scariest looking personable dog on this marble.

Diesel is 67 pounds of dynamite. Can jump a six foot fence. Has vitiligo (same disease Michael Jackson had) so he looks like someone threw white paint at him. Watching that dog run is like magic. He can flat out fly and then turn on a dime. Like Barry Sanders. The funniest part about him is how happy he is to just curl up in a ball and lay in your lap.

Dogs are so much better than people that it's almost embarrassing that we consider ourselves the more intelligent creature. :wallbash:

A wire-haired pointing griffon. Yeah, I didn't know what it was either. Great hunting dog that a hunter gave away because his wife had twins. Unfortunately, I don't hunt. But, oh man, you should see her on walks in the morning. She thinks we are out on some grand seek-and-kill operation.