So I bought an Iphone

dib

Trying to download ringtones from ATT (my carrier). Apparantley I have to have a texting account to download tones. This doesnt make sense, is there another way to download tones from ATT?

Trying to download ringtones from ATT (my carrier). Apparantley I have to have a texting account to download tones. This doesnt make sense, is there another way to download tones from ATT?

I have a Palm Centro ... I put the ringtone on my memory card, then transfer it to the phone's memory.

After many months of whining about wanting an iPhone, I finally got one (16 GB 3Gs) for my wife. It's actually pretty cool and it looks like she'll put it to good use. It sucks that they (all carriers) force you to pay $30/month extra for the data plan, when getting stuff via wi-fi usually suffices.

As for ringtones, IIRC, you can download them from iTunes.

BTW, how long is your battery life?

just make your own ringtones for free, silly.

http://audiko.net/en.html

audiko lets you upload any mp3, choose the 5-30 seconds you want, and converts it to an iPhone ringtone file.

ive made probably 20 or so already.

also...

!@#$ AT&T IN THEIR BIG FAT !@#$ING ASSES. WORST NETWORK IVE EVER BEEN ON. CANT WAIT TO GO BACK TO VERIZON!

I know everyone has seen the new Droid commercials recently and this is the product that is supposed to be the main competitor to the iPhone. Its Verizon's first attempt at taking advantage of their superior 3G network with a smartphone.

I'm a Verizon customer and I have always wanted to get an iPhone, but I can't justify it with the AT&T network, which is largely the reason for why I'm pretty excited about the Droid.

I know everyone has seen the new Droid commercials recently and this is the product that is supposed to be the main competitor to the iPhone. Its Verizon's first attempt at taking advantage of their superior 3G network with a smartphone.

I'm a Verizon customer and I have always wanted to get an iPhone, but I can't justify it with the AT&T network, which is largely the reason for why I'm pretty excited about the Droid.

the biggest mistake ive made was leaving verizon. work bought me the iphone so i switched. since 2001, ive been on Sprint, Tmobile, Verizon, and AT&T. AT&T is hands-down the worst network I've ever been on.

here's a good read:

http://blogs.broughturner.com/2009/10/is-a...finflicted.html

As soon as Droid is released, I'll be trading in my crackberry pearl.

also...

!@#$ AT&T IN THEIR BIG FAT !@#$ING ASSES. WORST NETWORK IVE EVER BEEN ON. CANT WAIT TO GO BACK TO VERIZON!

I share your dislike of ATT. Several years ago, some glitch happened between Cinti Bell and them, resulting in ATT adding over a hundred bucks in long distance charges to my bill.

I documented my conversations with ATT - I talked with over 10 people to no resolution. Eventually, they threatened suit. I turned them (and Cinti Bell) into the (lousy) Ohio public utility commission.

So it was resolved, kicking and screaming all the way. :thumbdown:

What's the hatred for AT&T all the time? I've had it forever and I've never had any problems with service or anything...maybe I'm just in a good area for it, I don't know.

part of it does have to do with location.

i live in Metro Atlanta (a city which AT&T is based out of) and cant keep a call going longer than 5-10 minutes while at home in the center of the city. sometimes DTMF (touch-tone recognition) doesnt even work when im dialing into other people's menus. the 3g network is slower than dial-up. i go for WEEKS at a time with no access to visual voicemail or data services in general (no internet, no email unless im on wi-fi). ive started calling into Customer Service just so I can get it documented, but i dont have time to dedicate 2 hours to being on the phone with AT&T every day. on top of that, all they do is blame apple/iphone when it has been documented that theyve admitted that they were not anywhere near prepared for the demand that the iphones would put on their network.

to top it off, i have a trouble ticket currently open and already told them i wasnt paying October's bill until it was fixed (I currently have no data services this week). I'm now 9 days past due, and they turned off my phone. 9 DAYS.

my experience has been worse than many others, but I dont know anyone who can say they have had "great" service.

i will admit that when i was in ft lauderdale, i had much less problems. however, 1. i was using my phone much less while on vacation and 2. there are probably a lot fewer people on the network there as compared to metro Atlanta. but that doesnt excuse it.

I would say my service approaches "great". There is a dead spot around UMBC that I think is because of overload, but beyond that - I have little trouble in Balt/Wash.

NYC, Chicago and San Fran are notoriously bad AT&T wireless networks.

I am in your shoes. I am going to wait for the Droid to be out for a month or two. As long as it gets good reviews, I'm pulling the trigger.

part of it does have to do with location.

i live in Metro Atlanta (a city which AT&T is based out of) and cant keep a call going longer than 5-10 minutes while at home in the center of the city. sometimes DTMF (touch-tone recognition) doesnt even work when im dialing into other people's menus. the 3g network is slower than dial-up. i go for WEEKS at a time with no access to visual voicemail or data services in general (no internet, no email unless im on wi-fi). ive started calling into Customer Service just so I can get it documented, but i dont have time to dedicate 2 hours to being on the phone with AT&T every day. on top of that, all they do is blame apple/iphone when it has been documented that theyve admitted that they were not anywhere near prepared for the demand that the iphones would put on their network.

to top it off, i have a trouble ticket currently open and already told them i wasnt paying October's bill until it was fixed (I currently have no data services this week). I'm now 9 days past due, and they turned off my phone. 9 DAYS.

my experience has been worse than many others, but I dont know anyone who can say they have had "great" service.

i will admit that when i was in ft lauderdale, i had much less problems. however, 1. i was using my phone much less while on vacation and 2. there are probably a lot fewer people on the network there as compared to metro Atlanta. but that doesnt excuse it.

Ouch, that sounds like a nightmare. I'm in Buffalo, and I really don't have many problems. My 3G is always pretty fast and I always get pretty good service. I only have trouble at one of my friends houses, but that's about it.

just make your own ringtones for free, silly.

http://audiko.net/en.html

audiko lets you upload any mp3, choose the 5-30 seconds you want, and converts it to an iPhone ringtone file.

ive made probably 20 or so already.

Thanks for that link. :unsure:

And where you live/work makes a difference. No problems with ATT for me, and I've tried them all (except Sprint/Nextel, which sucks).

I am in your shoes. I am going to wait for the Droid to be out for a month or two. As long as it gets good reviews, I'm pulling the trigger.

Read a review here. I really like the Android software. I have a G1 with TMobile and am really happy with it. Looks like Droid is for Verizon though so I'm out. I have over a year left on my contract anyway with the G1.

Read a review here. I really like the Android software. I have a G1 with TMobile and am really happy with it. Looks like Droid is for Verizon though so I'm out. I have over a year left on my contract anyway with the G1.

I was just going to link to that same article for Joe's consideration. PC World actually grades out the Droid higher than the iPhone 3GS, giving the Droid an overall score of 90 out of 100, which is the highest they've ever reviewed a phone.