TE vs. Fitz and other observations (take 2)

Coach55

Accidentally deleted the first run-thru, so let's try this again. I apologize as some of these might be/are topics already discussed.

1. Fitz vs. TE - Fitz - accuracy is suspect, but seems to be throwing to his receivers. He is slow in his progressions and not making it to the checkdowns (he seems to be tucking to fast when he has an open Lynch/Jackson). My question is - Is TE too fast with his progressions - i.e. not letting his receivers get open before moving to the next guy? My money is still on Trent.

2. Jackson vs. Lynch - AVP needs a better way to get them both on the field. This RB by committee sh@t does not work. Jackson, IMO, is the better back both at hitting the hole and out of the backfield. But both are very dynamic players and need to get the ball. AVP please help us hear.

3. Whitner vs. Wilson - First of all Byrd is starting... When it comes to the other safety position, Whitner is clearly better against the run and the overall better player. Wilson I liken to the Keith Ellison of Safeties - underwhelming in ability yet always plays the position where he should be. Given the Bills run a cover-2 which effectively is utilizing 2 safeties, Wilson is the better fit for that scheme. Fewell needs to work both safeties in based on the type of plays run. Sorry Donte - you're no longer a full time starter in my book.

4. O-line - just an observation - hasn't played that bad. As they cleaned up the penalties - they are not the root of this teams problem.

5. Moorman Jenkins and Wendling - talk about helping us win the field position battle. If it wasn't for these 3 guys, the score would have been completely different.

6. IMPORTANCE OF TURNOVERS - in the past 2 weeks we won the turnover battle, we won the game. You take away McKelvin's fumble and Parrish's 2 fumbles, we win New England and Cleveland and are still alive against NO (this was the turning point). Would be 5-2. Remember, last year a garbage Dolphins team won the division because they were best in giveaway/takeaway ratio.

7. Terrence McGee - glad to see him back on KR, hope it permanent. he'll take one back next week if it is.

8. Sabres thoughts (need to be addressed)

- Ruff - DJ needs to take a page on how to get the most out of average at best players

- Mike Greir - Welcome back - his line with Kennedy and Hecht is turning out to be a real solid #3 line.

- Ryan Miller - MVP this season if he keeps this up

- Tyler Myers - Where did they find this guy? Regier should be fired if they send him back to Juniors.

- MacArthur - get him on the Power Play instead of Gausted. At least he can score.

Okay - I will shut up now...

Accidentally deleted the first run-thru, so let's try this again. I apologize as some of these might be/are topics already discussed.

1. Fitz vs. TE - Fitz - accuracy is suspect, but seems to be throwing to his receivers. He is slow in his progressions and not making it to the checkdowns (he seems to be tucking to fast when he has an open Lynch/Jackson). My question is - Is TE too fast with his progressions - i.e. not letting his receivers get open before moving to the next guy? My money is still on Trent.

2. Jackson vs. Lynch - AVP needs a better way to get them both on the field. This RB by committee sh@t does not work. Jackson, IMO, is the better back both at hitting the hole and out of the backfield. But both are very dynamic players and need to get the ball. AVP please help us hear.

3. Whitner vs. Wilson - First of all Byrd is starting... When it comes to the other safety position, Whitner is clearly better against the run and the overall better player. Wilson I liken to the Keith Ellison of Safeties - underwhelming in ability yet always plays the position where he should be. Given the Bills run a cover-2 which effectively is utilizing 2 safeties, Wilson is the better fit for that scheme. Fewell needs to work both safeties in based on the type of plays run. Sorry Donte - you're no longer a full time starter in my book.

4. O-line - just an observation - hasn't played that bad. As they cleaned up the penalties - they are not the root of this teams problem.

5. Moorman Jenkins and Wendling - talk about helping us win the field position battle. If it wasn't for these 3 guys, the score would have been completely different.

6. IMPORTANCE OF TURNOVERS - in the past 2 weeks we won the turnover battle, we won the game. You take away McKelvin's fumble and Parrish's 2 fumbles, we win New England and Cleveland and are still alive against NO (this was the turning point). Would be 5-2. Remember, last year a garbage Dolphins team won the division because they were best in giveaway/takeaway ratio.

7. Terrence McGee - glad to see him back on KR, hope it permanent. he'll take one back next week if it is.

8. Sabres thoughts (need to be addressed)

- Ruff - DJ needs to take a page on how to get the most out of average at best players

- Mike Greir - Welcome back - his line with Kennedy and Hecht is turning out to be a real solid #3 line.

- Ryan Miller - MVP this season if he keeps this up

- Tyler Myers - Where did they find this guy? Regier should be fired if they send him back to Juniors.

- MacArthur - get him on the Power Play instead of Gausted. At least he can score.

I like some of the observations. I'll disagree a bit with #1. I don't think Fitz is being slow with his progressions. I think he is actually letting the plays develop.

Fitz vs. TE - Fitz: Was able to handle an intense pass rush that Edwards wouldn't have been able to handle. Everything Fitzy does is faster than TE, not the other way around. Fitz threw a few bad passes, but most of those were to prevent sacks. Edwards can't escape pressure, can't even throw the ball away cause he's too slow. My money is on Fitzy.

1. My question is - Is TE too fast with his progressions - i.e. not letting his receivers get open before moving to the next guy?

Clearly YES

The most important thing to know about the Trent vs Fitz battle, is that Fitz is making one or two game changing throws per game that Trent would not or could not make?! I don't believe they beat the Jets or Panthers if Trent was the QB.

6. Turnovers and 3rd down conversions are the two most important stats in any football game. They always will be, especially turnovers.

I like some of the observations. I'll disagree a bit with #1. I don't think Fitz is being slow with his progressions. I think he is actually letting the plays develop.

Time and time again, Fitz had Jackson/Lynch for an easy 5 yarder, instead he threw it away or tucked and run. He doesn't get that far into his progressions.

Fitz vs. TE - Fitz: Was able to handle an intense pass rush that Edwards wouldn't have been able to handle. Everything Fitzy does is faster than TE, not the other way around. Fitz threw a few bad passes, but most of those were to prevent sacks. Edwards can't escape pressure, can't even throw the ball away cause he's too slow. My money is on Fitzy.

I am amazed how Winning changes everyone's perception....The offense stunk for most part of the day...Could not convert multiple opportunities in the end zone and the QB threw for 110 yards in a game that was managed by the Special Teams and yet the posters think Fitz is the answer to this teams woes.

I am amazed how Winning changes everyone's perception....The offense stunk for most part of the day...Could not convert multiple opportunities in the end zone and the QB threw for 110 yards in a game that was managed by the Special Teams and yet the posters think Fitz is the answer to this teams woes.

Because I actually watch the game, not just passing yards/completion %. The Panthers pass rush was outstanding. Edwards would have taken 7 sacks.

Winning should change your perception. He didnt turn the ball over and he made the couple plays necessary to win.

The offense sucks no doubt. Fitz is not a long term solution. I think people are just happy to see some resemblance of an NFL QB. After you watch 4 games full of checkdowns and sacks it does not take much to get excited about. Edwards set an extremely low bar.

The offense sucks no doubt. Fitz is not a long term solution. I think people are just happy to see some resemblance of an NFL QB. After you watch 4 games full of checkdowns and sacks it does not take much to get excited about. Edwards set an extremely low bar.

Everyone keeps saying Fitzy is not capable of being a starter, but that's not a valid argument unless he actually F's up and loses a game. Edwards had his chance, now it's Fitzy's turn.

Don't underestimate Scott in the mix. He's better in run support than either Wilson or Whitner and if Byrd is your ball hawk, then the other safety needs to be stout around the LOS. Whitner doesn't make any more plays in the passing game than Scott...

The O-Line got annihilated. It's a tribute to Fitzpatrick that he didn't turn the ball over. He didn't have time to go through any progressions, and he didn't try. It was basically one read and then tuck it under and run. The O-Line needs a couple more years of maturity and at least 1 or 2 new starters. It's the worst line that I've seen so far this season with maybe 2 legitimate starting caliber players out of 5.

I still don't think an honest decision could be made at all. Trent spent the first five weeks of the year playing in an awful no-huddle offense. Once they went to the huddle, he was moving the team and went 5-5, also hit Evans on the exact same slant Fitz hit him on, right on the numbers, and Evans got just tripped up.

I think Fitz played well enough not to lose, but I don't think that you can look at that game and a half and say Fitz should be the guy. Trent was looking really good in the jets game before they popped his head off. If they keep winning, ill take whatever, but at the same time I would like to see if the zone blocking and slowed down huddle offense would help Trent in a full game.

Don't underestimate Scott in the mix. He's better in run support than either Wilson or Whitner and if Byrd is your ball hawk, then the other safety needs to be stout around the LOS. Whitner doesn't make any more plays in the passing game than Scott...

One of the major reasons that teams have been running so easily against the Bills as of late is the fact that Whitner and Scott have been out. Earlier in the year they were both doing a great job of coming up hard and stuffing holes and making tackles. Those three yard gains in the first week are now seven to ten yard runs. Byrd needs to start because of his ball-hawking and play-making. I don't think there is any question about that. And he isnt afraid to come up and put a helmet on someone. But it hurts our run defense. Wilson has filled in okay but he's a huge liability in the run game.

When Whitner and Scott are healthy, Whitner should start at SS, Byrd at FS, and bring Scott in for Byrd on run downs and short yardage.

One of the major reasons that teams have been running so easily against the Bills as of late is the fact that Whitner and Scott have been out. Earlier in the year they were both doing a great job of coming up hard and stuffing holes and making tackles. Those three yard gains in the first week are now seven to ten yard runs. Byrd needs to start because of his ball-hawking and play-making. I don't think there is any question about that. And he isnt afraid to come up and put a helmet on someone. But it hurts our run defense. Wilson has filled in okay but he's a huge liability in the run game.

When Whitner and Scott are healthy, Whitner should start at SS, Byrd at FS, and bring Scott in for Byrd on run downs and short yardage.

Agree 100% !!

Fitz, without question. People are hung up Trent's "accuracy" as the be all end all stat that defines how much talent a QB has. Accuracy is only 1 definition.

If you have 2 good RB, you do NOT use them at the same time on a consistent basis. One of them gets hurt, and you can :censored: can all those "plays" that were designed for both of them being on the field at the same time.

Another stat that people tend to focus on without looking at other factors. Can turnovers impact a game? Yes. But like QB accuracy, turnovers are not the be all end all stat.

The Vikings won their division last year with a negative turnover ratio. The Ravens came in second in their division even though they had a much better TO ratio than the division winner Steelers (Steelers won the SB with a TO ratio of 4). The Cardinals, the other SB team, won their division with a TO ratio of 0.

Furthermore, the Pats* did NOT win the game because of Mckelvin's fumble. Did it help. Yes. But the Pats* did NOT run the ball back for the TD. The Bills defense needed to come up big after the fumble, and they failed. Even after the TD, the Bills offense had 2 time outs left, and needed only to get back in field goal range. Kind of hard to do when your QB looks lost and takes 2 sacks in that final drive.

The O-Line got annihilated. It's a tribute to Fitzpatrick that he didn't turn the ball over. He didn't have time to go through any progressions, and he didn't try. It was basically one read and then tuck it under and run. The O-Line needs a couple more years of maturity and at least 1 or 2 new starters. It's the worst line that I've seen so far this season with maybe 2 legitimate starting caliber players out of 5.

I fully agree on Scott. Is Whitner expendable? As for the O-Line - I don't think they are as bad as everyone thinks they are (not saying they are great by any means, but even with the inexperience, they may be out of the bottom third)

One other Fitz/AVP/No huddle observation - Why are they calling audibles at the line, especially at the -1 yard line. On numerous occasions, Fitz called an audible and due to crowd noise, the players couldn't hear it and the play was busted. When you are at your -1 yard line, we DEFINITELY should not be calling audibles. Any margin of error would result is a Safety (and did). Don't know to blame Fitz or AVP for allowing Fitz to make the call in that position.