Jairus Byrd

awesome freakin player! such amazing instincts and awareness. made a touchdown saving tackle. throws his body into opponents when there getting wrapped up hoping for a forced fumble. Lit up Jamal Lewis a couple weeks ago. one hell of player, and im super happy he's a bill. no contreversy at all if whitner is back. i like the bryd/wilson tandem. keep them in. playmakers. if byrd has a long career in buffalo his name will be on the WALL!

Its funny, I thought the same thing waking up this morning.

Why change Bryd and Wilson? I certainly don't think Whitner and Scott were this productive. Wilson had something like 10 tackles yesterday, to go along with his INT, too.

Its funny, I thought the same thing waking up this morning.

Why change Bryd and Wilson? I certainly don't think Whitner and Scott were this productive. Wilson had something like 10 tackles yesterday, to go along with his INT, too.

[/quo

Agreed. God, how I wish we had a guy like Byrd back in the Superbowl years instead that freakin Kelso. Would have turned around a couple of those games, I'm thinking.

I wasn't a fan of the pick but chalked it up to getting more young talent and he has shown all the nay sayers (like me) that he was an awesome find

I can echo your comments. I also made the mistake of assuming this would be a lost season for him given he could not participate in OTA's

I don't mean to crash the party here, and I'm certainly not trying to rain on the Jairus love-fest parade, but I do want to give my honest opinion here: I realize that the guy has made some plays, but I think we're all getting a little bit too far ahead of ourselves in talking him up.

I'm happy that Byrd has come up with some picks, but does anyone else notice that (with the one notable exception of him out-fighting Braylon Edwards for the football last week--that was an outstanding play) every single one of his picks is a gross overthrow that just kind of lands in his hands? I know, I know, those ones count too, but it's not as though he's making any kind of special play on the ball or showing some great gift for covering the deep ball.

Again, don't get it twisted, I'm very happy to have someone back there that can haul in these kinds of passes--it's always important to capitalize on your opponents' mistakes--but, while I may be among the minority, I think Byrd's best attribute so far is that he doesn't drop the ball when it's thrown directly to him.

That said, I definitely think he has potential to be a very good FS, which I think is really what everyone is excited about. After all, you do have to be in the right place at the right time to make a big play.

I'll say this much, I remain thrilled that we picked him over Never-ette Brown (anyone notice him yesterday?).

Sharper has started all six games this year. Byrd has only started 5. I think Byrd was an unknown quantity before this game. The Panthers may have overlooked his int.'s last week. I'd be willing to bet that Carolina didn't try to gameplan around him at all.

I don't think any teams will overlook him anymore. If he can continue like this after teams start trying to take him out of the game he'll be a star.

There is something I don't understand about the draft. (All of these are JMO)

1 11 (11) Maybin, Aaron (DE) - I believe that he will eventually catch on and be a stud. (In my best Yoda) Patience you must have, patience.

1 28 (28) Wood, Eric C

(From Panthers through Eagles) - I think this was a super solid pick. (Thanks JP)

2 10 (42) Byrd, Jairus (CB) - I love this kid. It's barely the beginning of his career but I see a better future rather than a worse one.

2 19 (51) Levitre, Andy OL

(From Cowboys) - He's no Eric Wood and he definitely needs to improve. I'm not saying he's a bust, I'm saying I believe he can and will get better, but he's under starting caliber at his position right now.

4 21 (121) Nelson, Shawn TE

(From Eagles) - I like this pick too. This entire season he's had six catches for sixty yards and a TD. However, I think some of his contribution doesn't show up on the stat sheet. His presence won't allow full attention on any one guy. The Bills are bringing him along slowly and that's probably good for him. Given his draft position he seems like he will end up being a semi-steal. (Thanks JP)

5 11 (147) Harris, Nic S - He's a big time project and I don't know if he's a bust or a boom yet. I guess we'll have to wait til next year to make a better judgment.

6 10 (183) Harris, Cary CB - Practice Squad

7 11 (220) Lankster, Ellis DB - Looks like a great pick, especially when his draft position is considered.

So out of eight picks it seems that two (Wood and Byrd) are immediate impact players. It also seems that three players (Lankster, Levitre and Nelson) are going to be solid contributors next year and for a few years after that. Two picks (Maybin and Nic Harris) are on hold right now. Too early to tell about either of them. Maybin having only four tackles to show for his play so far this year is a little bothersome but I'll wait until the end of next year to reserve full judgment on him and NH. Cary Harris made the PS and so every draft pick has made the team. Some are immediate upgrades and others will be.

So after taking all of that into account why is there such a large fire Brandon contingent?

How in the world do you say Levitre isn't starting Caliber?????? What in the world makes you think Wood is sooo lights out better than Levitre

I think instead of Donte taking guys under his wing and showing them film and what-not, he should take some notes on how a IMPACT safety plays the game.... Hats off - This dude has a bright future and BETTER NOT come off the field when our injured STARTING safeties return.... :w00t:

I don't mean to crash the party here, and I'm certainly not trying to rain on the Jairus love-fest parade, but I do want to give my honest opinion here: I realize that the guy has made some plays, but I think we're all getting a little bit too far ahead of ourselves in talking him up.

I'm happy that Byrd has come up with some picks, but does anyone else notice that (with the one notable exception of him out-fighting Braylon Edwards for the football last week--that was an outstanding play) every single one of his picks is a gross overthrow that just kind of lands in his hands? I know, I know, those ones count too, but it's not as though he's making any kind of special play on the ball or showing some great gift for covering the deep ball.

Again, don't get it twisted, I'm very happy to have someone back there that can haul in these kinds of passes--it's always important to capitalize on your opponents' mistakes--but, while I may be among the minority, I think Byrd's best attribute so far is that he doesn't drop the ball when it's thrown directly to him.

That said, I definitely think he has potential to be a very good FS, which I think is really what everyone is excited about. After all, you do have to be in the right place at the right time to make a big play.

I'll say this much, I remain thrilled that we picked him over Never-ette Brown (anyone notice him yesterday?).

The thing is, he is in position to make a play on the ball. If the throws were on the money, he would be there to defend that pass as well. He was reading the overthrow and playing the ball.... the biggest thing is he is putting himself in the correct positions to make a hit or clean up the garbage

Byrd is a player no doubt. Brown has shown nothing.

Both still to be seen long term but so far, well, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again...

So far so good go Byrd!

But I thought we picked an injured DB who wasn't going to contribute this year??? Isn't that what you were preaching daily all off season?

But I thought we picked an injured DB who wasn't going to contribute this year??? Isn't that what you were preaching daily all off season?

Off-topic, WVW...

Slayton has had strong games the last two outings. Good for him - there was a goodly amount of commentary in the past about him going pro, early.

BTW - pretty nice battle shaping up in the Big East.

Off-topic, WVW...

Slayton has had strong games the last two outings. Good for him - there was a goodly amount of commentary in the past about him going pro, early.

BTW - pretty nice battle shaping up in the Big East.

Slaton started a bit slow this year, but has really showed up the past few weeks. I'll admit when he left for the NFL, I thought he had made a huge mistake because he was not playing all that well in college that last year and was looking to be a 3rd down back. He proved me wrong and is doing a good job to help get other WVU RBs some looks from scouts.

The Big East battle will be one of the best in the nation this year and will help show just how good the conference really is becoming at football.

That guy is carrying the team right now. He's single handedly won the Bills two games. Reminds my of Ashton Yoboty at the beginning of last season.

PLEASE. Don't mention Youboty's name within any post of a quality contributing player. You mean the Ashton who never makes it through a season. The same guy with 4 TACKLES this year

I would agree with you except for the fact that he has shown the ability to do other things as well.......

- His tackling and angle for his tackling was improved over the week before as evidenced in the tackle he made on the WR to save a touchdown .....which means he is learning from mistakes and getting better quickly

- His willingness to come up and stick people at the safety spot is a very nice contribution as well

- He is ALWAYS around the ball....you always see that jersey number in the same frame whether he made the play or he didn't

Then there are the interceptions........

I said the same thing, but then realized that no other Bills (except for former bill Jim Leonard) has been in those spots to take advantage of those plays. While those picks arent super athletic plays, he is around the football.

Yea he caused a lot of preasure that caused bad/early throws. He had Fitz on the ground a handful of times. For waht its worth, he caused equal to or more preasure than Peppers when he was in. Thats a lot more than we can say about Maybin.

Strongly disagree with your analysis here. First, just 2 of the five INT's were "gross overthrows". The Anderson pick in the Cleveland game, and the first pick of Delhomme yesterday. The Braylon pick was a well timed jump(though Byrd thought he mis-timed it a bit), two others were deflections of tipped balls. These are most impressive as they show great "ball skills" and hand -eye coordination instincts. A truly tough pick to make as the ball bounces quickly in strange ways. You are too quick to dismiss his INTs, the fact that he MAKES them is what stands out as remarkable. Most DB's are WR's with hands that don't cut it, that's why they play defense. A quality NFL safety needs good instincts AND good hands. This kid has both, obviously. We've been subjected to a lot of sub par safety play on this team in recent years. We know a good one when we see it. After 10+ seasons of "almost" INT's plaguing this defense, I'm not going to write off as a "fluke" the fist guy that shows he can actually CATCH them. Most INT's in the NFL made by safeties are not the spectacular athletic play variety. Those tend to be made by corners. Safety play is mostly about having good instincts (i.e. being in the right place at the right time) and making the most of your opportunities...as in catching the football.

Has anyone else been even more impressed with his tackling? Yea he has been in the right spot at the right time and made good plays on the ball, but his hitting in the open field is what I really like.

All true, but what really impressed me was listening to him being interviewed. Sounded very intelligent.

I'm happy that Byrd has come up with some picks, but does anyone else notice that (with the one notable exception of him out-fighting Braylon Edwards for the football last week--that was an outstanding play) every single one of his picks is a gross overthrow that just kind of lands in his hands?

I was thinking the same thing at first, until I started to read this, it's amazing how he is always around the ball. The hardest part about safety, is that you are floating in space. You have to make a decision and commit to it on the fly. The fact that he is even around so many plays....he must have some special "Spidey Sense" or something.