Edwards not practicing, not likely to play

DPR4444

didn't see this posted here

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills_and_n...rolina_20091021

Edwards not likely to play in Carolina

Updated: Wednesday, 21 Oct 2009, 1:27 PM EDT

Published : Wednesday, 21 Oct 2009, 1:15 PM EDT

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (WIVB) - Trent Edwards was not at practice at Ralph Wilson Stadium today.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was on the field instead, taking snaps. Fitzpatrick took over for Edwards on Sunday when Edwards suffered a concussion during the 2nd quarter. It seems more likely today that the concussion will keep Edwards off the field this week when the Bills play the Panthers.

Donte Whitner (ankle), Terrence McGee (chest), Kyle Williams (shoulder) and Shawn Nelson (concussion) also did not practice today.

James Hardy was back practicing for the first time since he was placed on reserve last month following an offseason knee surgery. The Bills now have 3 weeks to add him to the roster.

The Bills won on Sunday against the Jets in overtime. The Bills play the Panthers in Charlotte, NC this Sunday at 4 p.m.

Pretty much what I thought would happen...find some face-saving way to get Trent Edwards off the field after our starting O - which failed to score a TD in the pre-season - failed to score a TD against the Saints, then failed to do so again against the win-less Browns.

Let's see what Fitz can do with a week of practice as the starter.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (WIVB) - Trent Edwards was not at practice at Ralph Wilson Stadium today.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was on the field instead, taking snaps. Fitzpatrick took over for Edwards on Sunday when Edwards suffered a concussion during the 2nd quarter. It seems more likely today that the concussion will keep Edwards off the field this week when the Bills play the Panthers.

Donte Whitner (ankle), Terrence McGee (chest), Kyle Williams (shoulder) and Shawn Nelson (concussion) also did not practice today.

James Hardy was back practicing for the first time since he was placed on reserve last month following an offseason knee surgery. The Bills now have 3 weeks to add him to the roster.

The Bills won on Sunday against the Jets in overtime. The Bills play the Panthers in Charlotte, NC this Sunday at 4 p.m.

Good! We might have a chance to win again this week.

I'd like to see Fitz not only this week but also get the Houston home game. Carolina has a decent defense and it's in their house. I'd like to see how Fitz does in a home game as well since Trent stinks up the joint in many of his RWS starts lately.

I'd like to see Fitz not only this week but also get the Houston home game. Carolina has a decent defense and it's in their house. I'd like to see how Fitz does in a home game as well since Trent stinks up the joint in many of his RWS starts lately.

Obviously everything depends on how Fitz performs but, if he plays well, I'm pretty sure you'll see him start against Houston at RWS - and if we win two straight, I don't see Trent being 'healthy' for a long, long time...maybe not 'til next season.

Obviously everything depends on how Fitz performs but, if he plays well, I'm pretty sure you'll see him start against Houston at RWS - and, if we win two straight, I don't see Trent being 'healthy' for a long, long time...maybe not 'til next season.

Maybe (hopefully) not ever again.

Not that I wish Trent ill health but just wishing he doesn't take any more snaps as a Bill unless this recent blow to the head somehow jumbled whatever was dislodged in his melon in Arizona last year.

the real question is what if Fitz looks good and wins a couple games, and then Trent is pronounced healthy enough to play?

Let's hope that does not happen - I don;t believe either has what it takes to be a solid full time NFL QB. I think Trent would make for a nice back up, but he is too damaged now to be a full time starter. We can only hope that we get more of the same (likely given the line is the reason for our horrible play on offense) followed by another round of housecleaning, new hires, renewed hope and strong season ticket sales! Ralph's formula blows that away of the Patriots....

This concerns me. We need all of these players on the field. Just how badly hurt are they?

Not surprised that Trent may not play, he'll probably be back for the Houston game.

Face-saving? There are league procedures they've got to follow when it comes to concussions of certain grades. I don't think the Bills have a choice.

But yes, let's see what happens if we have a different average QB starting. Can't hurt!

Pretty much what I thought would happen...find some face-saving way to get Trent Edwards off the field after our starting O - which failed to score a TD in the pre-season - failed to score a TD against the Saints, then failed to do so again against the win-less Browns.

Let's see what Fitz can do with a week of practice as the starter.

Face-saving? There are league procedures they've got to follow when it comes to concussions of certain grades. I don't think the Bills have a choice.

But yes, let's see what happens if we have a different average QB starting. Can't hurt!

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...rds-in-carolina

Yes, there's a definite head-injury protocol. As Tim noted, Jauron mentioned it today. From the conference call with the Carolina reporters:

On the quarterback status for this weekend:

You’re asking about Trent (Edwards)?

(Yes.)

With Trent, we’ll follow in the protocol that we follow for a head injury so Trent was not involved in any way today and then we’ll just kind of take it day to day here as we move forward.

On if Edwards cannot play on Sunday how that’ll change the offense:

It doesn’t really change us. Obviously Fitz (Ryan Fitzpatrick) and Gibran (Hamdan) have been involved in everything we do so we just kind of move forward. Every player and certainly every quarterback has their differences … a little more fitting towards one thing over another when they talk about what they really like may be a little bit different but our system won’t change much.