Really interesting article about the demise of the LA Rams

Got_Wood

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall didn't like a lot of "people". Funny how things would have been drastically different if Buffalo gets in and Baltimore was left out when they (The NFL) accepted AAFC teams. No 1958 NFL championship game between the Colts and Giants in "the greatest game ever played"? No Johnny U? No Ralph? etc, etc.

Who knows??

Ahh, but we might have been the Colts of the 1950's as we were a championship caliber team in the AAFC, and then Ralph Wilson would not have created the Bills, and then Al Davis doesn't get his 400,000, the AFL flops, and the Raiders cease to exist. That could have very well been the reality- it is always fun to think "What if?". :unsure:

OK, a few things from the thread:

-Thanks for the plug, Lori!!

-The AAFC Colts are not the same Colts from the 1958 championship game. The AAFC Colts folded after the 1950 season.

-The Ram horns on the helmets did not come from Cleveland. They first appeared on the helmets in 1948, while they were in LA.

-The Browns were from the AAFC and not the NFL, as correctly mentioned.

-Re: Buffalo - It was not that George Preston Marshall didn't like us, he just liked the bribe money better.

-Gordio: If you don't like my fact corrections, tough. :unsure:

OK, a few things from the thread:

-Thanks for the plug, Lori!!

-The AAFC Colts are not the same Colts from the 1958 championship game. The AAFC Colts folded after the 1950 season.

-The Ram horns on the helmets did not come from Cleveland. They first appeared on the helmets in 1948, while they were in LA.

-The Browns were from the AAFC and not the NFL, as correctly mentioned.

-Re: Buffalo - It was not that George Preston Marshall didn't like us, he just liked the bribe money better.

-Gordio: If you don't like my fact corrections, tough. :unsure:

This is good info. Thanks.

Why, yes. Funny you should mention that league... :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078644619...13229280_snp_dp

35 BUCKS?!?!? Who do these authors think they are??? :unsure:

Though I have to admit, his last book was pretty good.

Does anybody really give 2 sh*ts if the Browns were received by the NFL in 1946 or accepted by the NFL in 1950. It does not matter man alright.

Apparently people who are interested in football history do. I'm sure if you posted that on the croshay board no one would bother to correct you.

35 BUCKS?!?!? Who do these authors think they are??? :unsure:

The author has no control over the price. Complain to the publisher. :D

Though I have to admit, his last book was pretty good.

Thank you!!

I think the point of this really is that a city (Los Angeles) had a team of their own (the Rams) for nearly 50 years. This team was taken from them, logo and colors and all, and people were bitter. From what I know, the Rams have never really been accepted by the fans in St. Louis. They had a great team initially with Warner, Bruce, and Faulk, but haven't done much since. St. Louis is a baseball city, and always will be. The Rams seem like the most logical choice to make the move to LA.

The Rams moving back to L.A. aside, I find it ironic that the L.A. fanbase (if there is such a thing) which feels bitter about their team being taken away feels justified, and would not hesitate, to give the same screw-job to another fanbase given the opportunity, be it Bills, Jags, Vikings fans, or some other team.

Guess its true: 'where you stand depends on where you sit'.

The Rams moving back to L.A. aside, I find it ironic that the L.A. fanbase (if there is such a thing) which feels bitter about their team being taken away feels justified, and would not hesitate, to give the same screw-job to another fanbase given the opportunity, be it Bills, Jags, Vikings fans, or some other team.

You mean like Ravens fans cursing the Colts and cheering for the Browns-Ravens!? Those people... disgusting. :doh:

If the owners would stop playing players based on salary and draft status and base it on production, then fan bases in LA - or any other market for that matter - would not become anemic in their support.

NFL teams have always managed to piss off the fan base. What was done with Kurt Warner in St. Louis was retarded and the last time I checked, Kyle Boller was the starting QB. They can't come up with a better backup QB?

St. Louis gave the Rams a new stadium in the 90s and now it's not good enough. The new owners of the Rams should give the uniform back to the city of LA for the new LA team and start with a new team in St. Louis with new uniforms.

Owners of the Buffalo Bills, New York Jets and Giants, the Washington Redskins, the Phoenix Cardinals and the Minnesota Vikings opposed the move and argued that Mrs. Frontiere, who pleaded poverty as a basis for relocation, had "horribly mismanaged" the team.

Now if that isn't the biggest example of the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is...Ralph Wilson has the balls to tell another owner they have "horribly mismanaged the team"? Hey Wilson, Frontiere at least has a superbowl ring...

Let's not allow the thread to morph into an uncontrollable beast! Get along folks, for the sake of TBD.

This thread has officially morphed into an uncontrollable beast now that YE OLE' hath joined the fray! Hold on tight boys and girls, THE HOOTINANNY is fin' to begin!

To Gordio- You are walking on thin ice with your critique. Ye Ole' has been around these parts for a decade in one way or another, and he has seen many a poster go down this path, and get bani-SHED from the discussion.

Now if you'll excuse YE OLE' he must go drop the hammer on some associates not doing their job.

If the owners would stop playing players based on salary and draft status and base it on production, then fan bases in LA - or any other market for that matter - would not become anemic in their support.

NFL teams have always managed to piss off the fan base. What was done with Kurt Warner in St. Louis was retarded and the last time I checked, Kyle Boller was the starting QB. They can't come up with a better backup QB?

St. Louis gave the Rams a new stadium in the 90s and now it's not good enough. The new owners of the Rams should give the uniform back to the city of LA for the new LA team and start with a new team in St. Louis with new uniforms.

You're on to something here. I'll add to it...

- LA gets the Rams uniforms back and a new franchise

- St. Louis becomes the Cardinals once again (pre-1988 team)

- The Cardinals (of Arizona) become the Arizona Cacti

- Toronto becomes part of the NFL and gets its OWN team, the Toronto Cosmos. The Bills then have a close rivalry, and the NFL gets to go "international" like they've always wanted to do.

Problem solved!!!

The feeling is mutual.

Have a nice day ...

Lori, Your "know it all attitude" does not get on my nerves. I have even had the priviledge of being corrected by you. It was a thrilling experience. Keep up the good work. Have a nice day. :w00t:

The Chargers are likely to move to LA. I've heard someword from reliable people that the deal is in the works. However, the people building the stadium in LA want an NFC team as well. I would not be surprised to see the Rams go back.

That would be sweet, then the Chargers and Rams could play head to head in the Emerald (bust a) Nut Bowl live from LA Stadium.

The Chargers are likely to move to LA. I've heard someword from reliable people that the deal is in the works. However, the people building the stadium in LA want an NFC team as well. I would not be surprised to see the Rams go back.

Are you saying they want TWO teams? I don't think they deserve that opportunity at this point.

Lori, Your "know it all attitude" does not get on my nerves. I have even had the priviledge of being corrected by you. It was a thrilling experience. Keep up the good work. Have a nice day. :thumbsup:

nerd