Pondering the game and future of the team.

Steely Dan

Ok, let's take a lookie here, all thoughts are randomly placed;

*Anyone who thinks this was a clutch win is hitting the crackpipe very hard. With five turnovers the Bills should have scored over 40 points. A 3 point win in overtime is pathetic when viewed against that fact.

* The strength and conditioning coach needs to be fired. Where's Rusty Jones now? This is the third year the Bills have a lot of guys on IR. The only logical place, IMO, to point the finger is at the S&C coach.

* The Bills secondary is pretty deep. It should be after all the DP's spent on them. Don't go overboard though, they were playing against a rookie QB from L.A. in his first cold game.

* Lankster has great hands.

* Poz looked good coming back from his injury.

* The Bills are playing waaaaaayyyyyy below their talent level. A guy who can take this talent and get the most out of it has a good chance of going very far in the playoffs, that is if they can find someone who can keep the guys healthy.

* Odds of Ralph getting people who can do that? 1-500.

* Russ Brandon is NOT a problem on this team. I don't know how anyone can blame him after his limited time. He's made good trades, gotten something for guys who they were going to cut anyway and had one of the better drafts in recent memory. Wood, Byrd, Nelson and Lankster were all great picks. Especially when draft rounds are considered. The jury is still out on Levitre, Maybin and Harris.

Jauron was not his choice for HC. He inherited him. I hope that even if the next HC is a control freak that he finds a way to work with Brandon. I think Brandon's very valuable for the Bills to have around.

* I really hope they wait to fire Jauron until the end of the year. If they elevate Bobby April to HC and they hire somebody else to be HC in the offseason it means April would, most likely, be gone.

* I hate to say this, and I'm embarrassed by this and ashamed of myself, but for the first time since I've been a Bills fan I find myself thinking about the positives of losing a lot of games this year rather than winning a lot this year. Losing means goodbye to Jauron, a house cleaning of coaches and a higher draft pick. :bag:

* The players may be willing to run through walls for Jauron but they aren't conditioned to and Jauron and his staff couldn't design plays to get them near the wall.

* I've never been so down on a Bills season in memory. I almost don't care if I miss the game.

* I never thought I'd ever feel pity for TO, but he's in a situation beyond his control that he's a lot better than. For once I'd understand any public griping he'd do.

* TE has a TON of talent this coaching staff couldn't get out of him with an oil derrick. Hopefully the next coaching staff will be a lot better at doing that. Bring in Holmgren. He has a pretty good track record with QB's.

'Nuff said.

Ok, let's take a lookie here, all thoughts are randomly placed...

* The players may be willing to run through walls for Jauron but they aren't conditioned to and Jauron and his staff couldn't design plays to get them near the wall...

:doh::bag: That is the best one sentence description of the DJ coached Buffalo Bills I have ever heard or read!! Outstanding take!! :

I don't think torn knees and broken bones are any one persons fault. All teams/players suffer these injuries. Is it the Jets S&C coaches fault that Jenkins tore his knee?

Where is the Lankster comment coming from? Has he even played this year?

Not sure we can say Poz looked good after a team runs for over 300 yards. Not all his fault but......

* Russ Brandon is NOT a problem on this team. I don't know how anyone can blame him after his limited time. He's made good trades, gotten something for guys who they were going to cut anyway and had one of the better drafts in recent memory. Wood, Byrd, Nelson and Lankster were all great picks. Especially when draft rounds are considered. The jury is still out on Levitre, Maybin and Harris.

Jauron was not his choice for HC. He inherited him. I hope that even if the next HC is a control freak that he finds a way to work with Brandon. I think Brandon's very valuable for the Bills to have around.

But do you really think Russ was responsible for the picks and trades? I know he is the "GM" by name (or whatever title it is that Ralph gave to him), but I cant help but believe that draft picks are Modrak's thing and free agents Guy's. And I have to believe that this year's draft was influenced heavily by Buddy Nix. Of course speculation on my part, but I wish we really knew the TRUE structure of the front office in terms of who makes the choices wrt FAs and draft picks.

As usual the answer is not so cut and dry.

Sure injuries can be unavoidable, but the Bills have had an inordinate amount of injuries over the past 3 years. I should be a stat monkey and actually work out our average compared to other NFL teams, but I would wager that we are near the top if not alone at the top.

Nutrition, conditioning, and flexibility go a long way towards preventing injuries. I think we do miss Rusty Jones and his program which kept the athletes on this team running at a high level. I also think that the soft camps probably do not help too much and Jauron has way too much trust in his players using their own conditioning programs.

An interesting thing to note is that many folks early on said that Jauron would have done better in Chicago is it were not for all the injuries that plagued that team. Sound familiar???

To answer your question, Rusty Jones was last seen with the Chicago Bears.

I would love to see him back. Injuries seemed alot less complicated and long when he was here. But again, the sheer volume and differing types of anabolic drugs players are on these days surely is leading to alot of these injuries; so whether or not a new strength coach would help or not remains to be seen.

But I also remember that there were only 2 teams in the 90's who led the league in innovation when it came to training and conditioning: those 2 were the Denver Broncos and the Buffalo Bills. For the longest time, they were the only 2 teams that made use of the "bod pod" to measure body fat percentage of players.

Rusty Jones sure ran a great strength program and having him back would be amazing.

Only problem is that I believe he is from Chicago.

* TE has a TON of talent this coaching staff couldn't get out of him with an oil derrick. Hopefully the next coaching staff will be a lot better at doing that. Bring in Holmgren. He has a pretty good track record with QB's.

First off, great post and I agree with almost everything you had to say in it. Until this, however. I really don't know how you could say that Edwards has a TON of talent and that the coaching staff is what is holding him back. It seems to me that the coaching staff has been playing to his "strength" more than anything, which is the short-intermediate passing game. Even his accuracy in general has not been good for the better part of the last 10 games or so that he has played. Trent will NEVER be a good quarterback in this league until he somehow develops the ability to stick in the pocket and throw the ball downfield. He is tentative as hell, and for once this isn't one of the faults of the coaching staff.

* I've never been so down on a Bills season in memory. I almost don't care if I miss the game.

You make some valid points about the team and future. I believe a good deal of fans, like yourself, have seen through the mirage this franchise has become. They're doing things to increase the ticket base and not so much to improve the team. After four off-seasons of rebuilding, we're left with a 2-4 product that will need to go no less than 8-2 down the stretch to make the playoffs. That's a heck of a challenege, regardless of schedule strength.

Fans wouldn't wish for the worst if the team showed potential. But with DJ leading the way and little direction from the top front office guy, it's hard to get excited for the future. Only a real GM with commensurate authority over personnel and a new HC can start the process anew. That is, if the owner allows it, which is really the problem.

10 years without a post-season appearance is inexcusable in today's NFL.

I don't think torn knees and broken bones are any one persons fault. All teams/players suffer these injuries. Is it the Jets S&C coaches fault that Jenkins tore his knee?

Where is the Lankster comment coming from? Has he even played this year?

Not sure we can say Poz looked good after a team runs for over 300 yards. Not all his fault but......

It may not be him, but at this point I'd be really interested in seeing somebody else try.

But do you really think Russ was responsible for the picks and trades? I know he is the "GM" by name (or whatever title it is that Ralph gave to him), but I cant help but believe that draft picks are Modrak's thing and free agents Guy's. And I have to believe that this year's draft was influenced heavily by Buddy Nix. Of course speculation on my part, but I wish we really knew the TRUE structure of the front office in terms of who makes the choices wrt FAs and draft picks.

The trades? Most definitely. The draft? He is the GM and has at least some say in that matter. If Buddy Nix had a lot to do with it, who brought him back? Why does the organization seem to be running a lot better since he took over?

As usual the answer is not so cut and dry.

Sure injuries can be unavoidable, but the Bills have had an inordinate amount of injuries over the past 3 years. I should be a stat monkey and actually work out our average compared to other NFL teams, but I would wager that we are near the top if not alone at the top.

Nutrition, conditioning, and flexibility go a long way towards preventing injuries. I think we do miss Rusty Jones and his program which kept the athletes on this team running at a high level. I also think that the soft camps probably do not help too much and Jauron has way too much trust in his players using their own conditioning programs.

An interesting thing to note is that many folks early on said that Jauron would have done better in Chicago is it were not for all the injuries that plagued that team. Sound familiar???

To the first point. Have you ever heard of club Marv? Second, ouch! but you are right.

I believe he meant Byrd has great hands, but I could be wrong....

Yep, just a boneheaded mistake!!! :unsure: