I know....I know, it's too early...

Kipers Hair

We should have draft Orakpo. That guy is kicking ass.

http://www.nfl.com/players/brianorakpo/gamelogs?id=ORA355963

And playing with a LOT of talent around him conner....

I stand by what I said back when he was drafted.....Orakpo was the more NFL ready player and would come out the gate stronger.....but when we compared their careers side by side Maybin will surpass him....

I just dont know if it is at DE......

Say what you want - this guy is never going to make it as a 4 / 3 end....Start the move to LB now and hope for the best....

He's a 3-4 OLB...He'll be a beast in a 3-4...He has no home in a 4-3 unless he gets A LOT bigger...Because He's never going to be a traditional 4-3 OLB...Hopefully the new Coaching Staff will use a lot of 3-4...Otherwise I can't see a great future for the kid in Buffalo...

It was a dumb pick for a 4-3 Team if you ask me...I thought maybe they knew better than I did...Maybe not... :worthy:

He's a 3-4 OLB...He'll be a beast in a 3-4...He has no home in a 4-3 unless he gets A LOT bigger...Because He's never going to be a traditional 4-3 OLB...Hopefully the new Coaching Staff will use a lot of 3-4...Otherwise I can't see a great future for the kid in Buffalo...

It was a dumb pick for a 4-3 Team if you ask me...I thought maybe they knew better than I did...Maybe not... :worthy:

I cannot help but wonder if he was a pick for the future as in a defensive scheme change......

People say it would be too much to switch but we do have certain parts on the roster in Schrobel (LB) Maybin (LB) Poz (LB) Stroud (DE)

I cannot help but wonder if he was a pick for the future as in a defensive scheme change......

People say it would be too much to switch but we do have certain parts on the roster in Schrobel (LB) Maybin (LB) Poz (LB) Stroud (DE)

Schobel is not the right type of DE you need a 3-4, so we need 2 DEs, and I don't think Stroud is the right NT you need in a 3-4 either. You would really need to change the personnel. Also, all of our LBs are slotted for this defense with the exception of Poz who doesn't play all that much.

I watched the Redskin game and Orakpo is right now heads and shoulders about Maybin. You don't draft a player on future potential because of the free agency. Most of the time they are just cheaper and more successful at that price than a big name FA. All teams lose their rook contracts when a guy turns it up, so you just want a guy who will play 4 years at above average in today's game.

Maybin won't be ready until year 3. He's roided some, but certainly not enough. Oh, and anyone who denies that claim tell me how anyone can pack on 15-20 lbs of lean muscle in a few weeks when you are already in good shape. It's just not possible. He needs more cycles.

Schobel is not the right type of DE you need a 3-4, so we need 2 DEs, and I don't think Stroud is the right NT you need in a 3-4 either. You would really need to change the personnel. Also, all of our LBs are slotted for this defense with the exception of Poz who doesn't play all that much.

All good points. Stroud would have to get unloaded(Williams would be in the same boat, or face a much smaller role) and we'd have to completely overhaul our LB corps.

I watched the Redskin game and Orakpo is right now heads and shoulders about Maybin. You don't draft a player on future potential because of the free agency. Most of the time they are just cheaper and more successful at that price than a big name FA. All teams lose their rook contracts when a guy turns it up, so you just want a guy who will play 4 years at above average in today's game.

Maybin won't be ready until year 3. He's roided some, but certainly not enough. Oh, and anyone who denies that claim tell me how anyone can pack on 15-20 lbs of lean muscle in a few weeks when you are already in good shape. It's just not possible. He needs more cycles.

Nation.....I dont think you read what I posted.....

- Schrobel isn't a DE in that scheme he is a LB........and he has the quickness speed (and frankly size) to play that spot....Maybin is biult like like Schrobel and shares the same qualities so he would also be a LB

I think it would look like this:

Stroud - DE

? - DT

S. Johnson - DE

Schrobel - OLB

K. Mitchell - ILB

Poz - ILB

Maybin - OLB

Spencer Johnson is a stretch as a starting DE but he does have the size.....we probably should look to draft someone there....we DEFINATELY need a NT and I wonder if this is where we might look to use our 1st round pick as it makes the defense go

I think that all the other players there all fit the scheme......both talent and size wise.

I think there are some real possibilities with a lineup like that.......

Im not writing Maybin off. The leap from college DE to pro DE is big. He is young and does have the frame 6'4 to get bigger and stronger. Maybe he'll be the reverse Bruce Smith(who didnt have a great rookie season), while Bruce had to get lose weight, Maybing needs to put on some to be a NFL end.

... Steve Lattimer (ESU Timberwolves defensive lineman) once put on 30lbs of muscle in 1 summer by just hitting the weights said Head Coach Sam Winters :P

He is like 20 yrs. old (maybe just turned 21) he needs a couple years. Right now he is useless though. I believe he will get much better. At least wait until he is 23.

i dont think we should give up on him either. problem is out of all the eligible college players in the united states of america he was the 11th chosen.11th.-which means he should be showing us SOMETHING at this point.

He's gotten sacks against the Chiefs, the Bucs, the Panthers, and the Lions. I don't think any of those team will be confused with the Hogs during Washington's glory days.

And Maybin has gotten sacks against?????......I know it's early but I am liking the Maybin pick less and less...Hopefully he will end up changing my mind but at this point he looks like another Big 10 player who looks great in a weak college conference and may end up struggling at the next level.

Maybin is undersized and very young. It was pretty much a given when he was drafted that he would need an entire offseason of conditioning (as in after this season) before he would be ready to compete for regular playing time. This is not uncommon for linemen on either side of the ball. Denney and Bell went through the same process.

That's not reassuring!

Nation.....I dont think you read what I posted.....

- Schrobel isn't a DE in that scheme he is a LB........and he has the quickness speed (and frankly size) to play that spot....Maybin is biult like like Schrobel and shares the same qualities so he would also be a LB

I think it would look like this:

Stroud - DE

? - DT

S. Johnson - DE

Schrobel - OLB

K. Mitchell - ILB

Poz - ILB

Maybin - OLB

Spencer Johnson is a stretch as a starting DE but he does have the size.....we probably should look to draft someone there....we DEFINATELY need a NT and I wonder if this is where we might look to use our 1st round pick as it makes the defense go

I think that all the other players there all fit the scheme......both talent and size wise.

I think there are some real possibilities with a lineup like that.......

My friend,

I did read what you wrote. Schobel is too old to play OLB. You can't take a guy who played the same position for about 15 years including college and then in your 30's turn you into a OLB who plays coverage. I've never seen a DE do that EVER. If you have please share it with me. I would be interested to know, but I can't think of one case. Look at Kaufman in Green Bay, and he's younger, and is lost in coverage. Schobel would be worse in coverage because of lack of experience and intuition. DL is a different game than rolling deep and actually doing something on a play against a TE or even in zone coverage.

You would have to cut Kelsay, Denney, Schobel, and I agree you could make Stroud and Johnson DEs, but again, you have the problem of creating pressure and getting sacks. You need DEs in that scheme who could get at least 6 sacks a year to be effective. The best 3-4 scheme, which sometimes even becomes a 2-5 scheme is Pittsburg. They have 3 huge linemen and they have Harrison on the outside who is extremely athletic.

I wouldn't mind cutting the dead weight of Denney and Kelsay, but the 3-4 is more of an illusion than a reality as you really need a great NT to make it effective. It's easier to find 2 decent tackles than one great one. I wouldn't want to blow up our defense because of Maybin. He should learn to man the LB position and do some outside blitzes. The 3-4 is very hard to get the right personnel and be effective. It's very aggressive but also the hardest to maintain as far as players needed.

Right now we are best in the 4-3 until we get some good guys in FAs and draft guys to fit the scheme. Honestly, I like Gregg Williams version of the 4-3 the best as it is the easiest to make a strong defense without great individual parts. I hated bizarro as a head coach, but the guy really understands who to line up the defense. We were #2 in the league in 2003 and he grabbed a past his prime Sam Adams, and grabbed a play-making LB in Spikes, as well as ol'Faithful Pat Williams to stop the run. That's the easiest one to imitate, but you need a good defensive coordinator who understands how, when and where to blitz and it works quite well.