dan fouts or kelly

nuklz2594

could kelly have played in the dan fouts era and vice versa? would we have won a super bowl with fouts?

I'd place fouts above Kelly in the overall QB ratings. Not incl QBs I didn't see like Otto Graham.

1.Montana

2.Elway

3.Marino

4.Young

5.Unitas

6.Fouts

7.Manning

8.Brady

9.Bradshaw

10.Anderson

11.Kelly

12.Moon

13.Ridlehuber

I'd place fouts above Kelly in the overall QB ratings. Not incl QBs I didn't see like Otto Graham.

1.Montana

2.Elway

3.Marino

4.Young

5.Unitas

6.Fouts

7.Manning

8.Brady

9.Bradshaw

10.Anderson

11.Kelly

12.Moon

13.Ridlehuber

You actually think Dan Fouts is better than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning? That's unbelievable.

You actually think Dan Fouts is better than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning? That's unbelievable.

SD had a horrendous defense.Fouts was in the top 3 passers of all time along with Marino and Elway.

And I don't put a huge separation between these guys. Its slight and its my opinion.

SD had a horrendous defense.Fouts was in the top 3 passers of all time along with Marino and Elway.

And I don't put a huge separation between these guys. Its slight and its my opinion.

Like I said, Bert Jones... also Ken Anderson, Archie Manning, and others who played for teams that fell apart or were bad, shortening their careers. Everyone forgets about them, but I'd be willing to take a shot with any of them just for fun.

Dan Fouts or Kelly? I loved Jim Kelly and he had some great years, but he and Fouts both couldn't put it together on the biggest of stages. They both fell apart in key moments. I think both of them wouldn't have had the success they enjoyed if not for the teams around them. My top 15 QB's of all time are:

1. Joe Montana

2. Brett Favre

3. Johnny Unitas

4. Dan Marino

5. John Elway

6. Terry Bradshaw

7. Fran Tarkenton

8. Tom Brady

9. Peyton Manning

10. Roger Staubach

11. Steve Young

12. Warren Moon

13. Jim Kelly

14. Dan Fouts

15. Phil Simms

1. Joe Montana

2. Peyton Manning

3. John Elway

4. Tom Brady

5. Johnny Unitas

6. Roger Staubach

7. Jim Kelly

8. Terry Bradshaw

9. Fran Tarkenton

10. Dan Marino

11. Brett Favre

12. Steve Young

13. Dan Fouts

14. Warren Moon

15. Phil Simms

Marino and Favre, despite all of their numbers, get downgraded for being poor leaders. Unselfish players with their talents would have won multiple Super Bowls. Marino could barely get himself into one.

Dan Fouts or Kelly? I loved Jim Kelly and he had some great years, but he and Fouts both couldn't put it together on the biggest of stages. They both fell apart in key moments. I think both of them wouldn't have had the success they enjoyed if not for the teams around them. My top 15 QB's of all time are:

1. Joe Montana

2. Brett Favre

3. Johnny Unitas

4. Dan Marino

5. John Elway

6. Terry Bradshaw

7. Fran Tarkenton

8. Tom Brady

9. Peyton Manning

10. Roger Staubach

11. Steve Young

12. Warren Moon

13. Jim Kelly

14. Dan Fouts

15. Phil Simms

oooooops forgot Tark on my list...

1.Montana

2.Elway

3.Marino

4.Young

5.Unitas

6.Fouts

7.Manning

8.Brady

9.Bradshaw

10.Anderson

11.Kelly

12.Moon

13.Ridlehuber

You're crazy. Give me Manning over Marino any day for starters, and Fouts 6th on your overall QB list, wow.

1. Joe Montana

2. Brett Favre

3. Johnny Unitas

4. Dan Marino

5. John Elway

6. Terry Bradshaw

7. Fran Tarkenton

8. Tom Brady

9. Peyton Manning

10. Roger Staubach

11. Steve Young

12. Warren Moon

13. Jim Kelly

14. Dan Fouts

15. Phil Simms

That is such BS....Tom Brady won MVP of their 1st superbowl without having thrown a single TD pass in the entire playoffs......I think guys like kelly and Marino would have loved such a luxury....

The Bills faced the #1 defense in the NFL each year they made the Superbowl....by contrast The Bills set an NFL record by going to the superbowl with the 27th rated defense....the following year they did it again....

You really think Kelly or Marino could not do what Aikman did? Hand it off to the top ground game in the NFL and also have the #1 defense on the other side of the ball ??????

We also wont compare coaching staffs of each....

You're crazy. Give me Manning over Marino any day for starters, and Fouts 6th on your overall QB list, wow.

I'm not quite sure what Fouts did that was wrong. He had no defense behind him.He had to outscore everyone he played against. And I believe he was the best passer of all time with poss exc of Marino or elway. Not only was his long ball perfect his touch passes were perfect.

Yes I forgot Favre(hey I was sleepy)..Id put him around #12.He had a lot of not so hot interception laden years--although he is obviously a huge talent with a great arm.

I'm not quite sure what Fouts did that was wrong. He had no defense behind him.He had to outscore everyone he played against. And I believe he was the best passer of all time with poss exc of Marino or elway. Not only was his long ball perfect his touch passes were perfect.

Yes I forgot Favre(hey I was sleepy)..Id put him around #12.He had a lot of not so hot interception laden years--although he is obviously a huge talent with a great arm.

Fouts was very good...but that entire team was dedicated to a passing offense and the top tools. -in their prime

Look what Fouts had:

Coach - Don "Air" Coryell

JJ Jefferson 1st round pick in '78 draft (14th overall)

Wes Chandler 1st round pick in '78 draft (3rd overall)

Kellen Winslow 1st round pick '79 draft as TE (13th overall)

Chuck Muncie 1st rd pick '76 draft (3rd overall)

Joe Washington 1st rd pick RB '76 draft (4th overall)

Charlie Joiner - veteran trade from Bengals

Kelly had:

Coach Marv Levy

Thurman Thomas 2nd rd pick 1988

Andre Reed 4th rd pick 1985

James Lofton - top 5 pick in 1978 but picked up as street free agent from Raiders in 1989

Don Beebe = 3rd rd pick

Keith Mckeller - 7th rd pick

The Chargers (unlike the Bills) invested all their #1 picks in offense.....kelly never got any of that

All the toys went to Walt Corey who had no clue how to use them....

And a coach in Don Coryell who was considered cutting edge passing game coach

Where is Joe Namath on these lists? He was better than half the guys being talked about (like Bradshaw). I doubt that many QBs could've played in Namath's his era and put up the numbers he did. Also, Montana was great but he is the #1 beneficiary of the changes in passing rules and Bill Walsh's "west coast offense". If Dan Marino would've played for Walsh people would be talking about his records like they do about Gretzky's in hockey.

As to the original question. I think Kelly was slightly better than Fouts. Fouts was a great passer, probably even better than Kelly, but he lacked Kelly's leadership skills. If I had to take one for a big game, it would be Kelly.

That is such BS....Tom Brady won MVP of their 1st superbowl without having thrown a single TD pass in the entire playoffs......I think guys like kelly and Marino would have loved such a luxury....

The Bills faced the #1 defense in the NFL each year they made the Superbowl....by contrast The Bills set an NFL record by going to the superbowl with the 27th rated defense....the following year they did it again....

You really think Kelly or Marino could not do what Aikman did? Hand it off to the top ground game in the NFL and also have the #1 defense on the other side of the ball ??????

We also wont compare coaching staffs of each....

Uhhhhh, so what's you're problem with? That I have Brady as the #8 rated QB, IMO, and Kelly 5 spots later? Brady has put up some of the best numbers of any QB over the last decade, with mediocre WR's except the last couple of seasons. Kelly was surrounded by HOF talent on both sides of the ball. How many HOF players has Brady had the benifit of playing with on a consistent basis? Moss? Name another. A WELL PAST HIS PRIME Seau? Brady took WR's like Troy Brown, David Givens, Deion Branch, and David Patten and he made them look good enough to get rather nice salaries from teams where they couldn't perform to that level again without Brady. You talk about Brady getting an MVP without throwing any TD's in the playoffs. But what about the SB against Carolina where he set the record for completions in a SB, had 3 TD passes, led a game winning drive in the last 1:29 of the game and against one of the top 5 defensive units in the NFL. Like I said, I loved it when Jim Kelly was here, but he folded in the biggest games. Look the #'s up for yourself because I've already done it before. :thumbdown: