Democrats say "It WILL have a public option"

Magox

Harkin Says Health Overhaul Will Include Public Plan

Oct. 16 (Bloomberg) -- An overhaul of U.S. health care will include a government-run plan to compete with private insurers, U.S. Senator Tom Harkin said.

The Iowa Democrat, chairman of the Senate health committee, also told reporters he expected legislation would reach President Barack Obama in December, saying the momentum is “irrevocable.”

A revamp of the health-care system got a boost Oct. 13 when the Senate Finance panel passed a bill with the vote of one Republican. Senate leaders and the White House have been working to meld that bill with legislation Harkin’s committee passed in July. House leaders are combining bills from that chamber that also would curb medical costs and expand coverage to about 30 million eligible U.S. residents.

“I believe the momentum is there,” Harkin said today on a conference call with journalists. “We’re not going to be stopped by the obstructionists. I believe we have the votes. I believe we’ll have a bill on the president’s desk by Christmas.”

Harkin insisted that any bill signed by Obama include a federally backed insurance program to compete with private companies such as Indianapolis-based WellPoint Inc., the largest provider by membership.

“It will have a public option,” Harkin said.

I guess they figure they can bully the blue dogs and Olympia Snowe around or that they will just go the nuclear route and jam it down our throats through reconciliation.

Unfortunately, I believe what will pass is an option for the "public option" if the health insurers, in their view, fail to "curb" costs. They just don't get it. :wallbash:

All I can say is vote in November 2010...Get rid of these clowns. Apathy is the worst enemy.

What needs to be done is people calling their congresspeople before they vote for this monstrosity, and telling them that they're out November 2010 should they vote for it. And then still vote them out.

And Harry says it will cost 2 Trillion...thats Trillion with a T

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/200...2_trillion.html

You can do the math

What a retarded comment, and this is precisely why he needs to not be re elected. He talks as if $54 Billion is a small number and shouldn't be heavily considered. Our country has lost it's ability to be fiscally responsible, and this dates back way before this administration.

If I were the Chinese, and I saw the senate leader of the U.S, rebuffing $54 Billion as a small price tag, then I to, would be "very worried" about our investments in treasuries.

They have a right to their opinion on the topic, just as the republicans have a right to theirs. WE have a system in place to create balance and that's a good thing. If it passes, the world won't end, same if it fails.

They have a right to their opinion on the topic, just as the republicans have a right to theirs. WE have a system in place to create balance and that's a good thing. If it passes, the world won't end, same if it fails.

No the world won't end...but it will be a different place...Change for the sake of change is not good. My problem is nobody is listening right now. The people are being silenced...Which isn't a good thing.

No the world won't end...but it will be a different place...Change for the sake of change is not good. My problem is nobody is listening right now. The people are being silenced...Which isn't a good thing.

What people are being silenced?

How about the majority of Americans who oppose Obamacare. We don't want it...So why push for it!

I thought that I heard this morning saying that there is a majority of people who want a public option. And really to call Obamacare is just dumb. Just call it what it is, Health care reform.

I thought that I heard this morning saying that there is a majority of people who want a public option. And really to call Obamacare is just dumb. Just call it what it is, Health care reform.

But those numbers were distorted, only 20% of those that were polled were republicans.

Only 20 percent of adults identify themselves as Republicans, little changed in recent months, but still the lowest single number in Post-ABC polls since 1983. Political independents continue to make up the largest group, at 42 percent of respondents; 33 percent call themselves Democrats.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ST2009101902502

and out of the independents: The majority oppose it. According to Gallup, Rasmussen and WSJ polls

Talk about distortion

What and go back to the way things were before... Gotta give me an alternative to both sides that aren't imbeciles yet are not bought and paid for. Till then I gotta pick and choose the lesser of the evils.

Until we get that third option, I really do think the lesser of two evils is voting everyone out of office every election, so they don't have time to do anything really stupid.