Richmond just named their new AA baseball team....

The Poojer

the Flying Squirrels.....WTF....it beat out Rhinos, Flatheads, Rock Hoppers and Hush Puppies. Flatheads and Rock Hoppers at least played on the James River and Iron Works theme....not sure where Rhinos fit in and there are other regions more known for hushpuppies....but Flying Squirrels??????????????????????????????????????????????? :doh::wallbash:

the Flying Squirrels.....WTF....it beat out Rhinos, Flatheads, Rock Hoppers and Hush Puppies. Flatheads and Rock Hoppers at least played on the James River and Iron Works theme....not sure where Rhinos fit in and there are other regions more known for hushpuppies....but Flying Squirrels??????????????????????????????????????????????? :doh::wallbash:

Again, another example of going with the cute and cuddly mascot versus something that actually has a local tie or something. :lol:

Awesome, the Jammers are no longer the lamest name in the Minor Leagues

Agreed. One of the worst names in MiLB. For years the pseudo tasmanian devil logo they had made absolutely NO sense. Now they try to tie it in with the local grape growing industry, even though that's not why the name Jammers was picked.

At least they didn't go with the the Jamestown "Balls" in honor of Lucy or something. :P

the Flying Squirrels.....WTF....it beat out Rhinos, Flatheads, Rock Hoppers and Hush Puppies. Flatheads and Rock Hoppers at least played on the James River and Iron Works theme....not sure where Rhinos fit in and there are other regions more known for hushpuppies....but Flying Squirrels??????????????????????????????????????????????? :thumbsup::P

Sad isn't it? I couldn't believe it when I heard the name announced on the radio. We go from the Richmond Braves to the Flying Squirrels? It's not just the economy that has gone down the tubes :wallbash:

Wonder if the Eastern League will re-align the divisions

Before Connecticut moved there was an NY/NJ/New England division and a PA/OH/MD division

Northern:

Connecticut - Now Richmond

New Britain

Trenton

Portland

New Hampshire

Binghamton

Southern:

Akron

Reading

Bowie

Erie

Harrisburg

Altoona

Awesome, the Jammers are no longer the lamest name in the Minor Leagues

The Jammers were in a dead heat with these guys for worst name.

OK I'm just going to demonstrate my lack of baseball knowledge. What the hell happened to the Richmond Braves?

Richmond Braves are moving to Gwinnet County, Georgia next season.

OK I'm just going to demonstrate my lack of baseball knowledge. What the hell happened to the Richmond Braves?

Atlanta wanted to cut cost, and have their AAA team closer to home to make for ease of moving guys up and down as needed. On top of that the Richmond stadium really is getting old and not that good anymore and Atlanta wanted the city/state to build a new stadium.

it actually happened this year, they were the Gwinette County Braves for the 2009 season

:P You're right about that. Didn't notice the date on the article I read - it was from last summer and just referenced the R-Braves move "next year."