Centers finally starting to get the recognition they deserve

yes, the LT is an important position. but without a good interior, one guy out on the flank isnt going to help the squad nearly as much as a star anchor in the middle.

good article HERE from ESPN about the importance of this currently non-sexy position.

Center is the most important position on the line. That's all there is to it. A good interior can help the outside. One good player outside isnt going to help anything.

Kent Hull was up there with Kelly, Thomas, Reed and Smith as a key factor of the Bills being as great as they were. Without Hull, we dont go to 4 straight.

This shows that Wood may be the best pick up for the Bills in the decade ahead. Hangartner appears to be average - i wonder if he and Wood flip spots next year.

ever since hull left, every year ive hoped the Bills would draft a Center early (1st or 2nd round) because it would finally show they were serious about rebuilding the line. i think we have a good foundation for an interior, NOW we can go from there and add to the outside.

This shows that Wood may be the best pick up for the Bills in the decade ahead. Hangartner appears to be average - i wonder if he and Wood flip spots next year.

An average center on the Bills is a rarity indeed, let alone a huge upgrade. From what I see, Hangartner is good. He is very strong, and playing between two rookies and 2 OTs that suck no matter who is in there.

Hangartner is far from what is wrong with this football team. In fact, I am rather stunned that they were smart enough to sign him. Players such as Demetrius Bell and Jonathan Scott barely belong in this league at all. They are horrible football players in every sense, and I for one see little to no upside. This is how the team was built and this is why they suck. And, they will continue to suck for a very long time until the Jauron/Levy curse is fully purged.

ever since hull left, every year ive hoped the Bills would draft a Center early (1st or 2nd round) because it would finally show they were serious about rebuilding the line. i think we have a good foundation for an interior, NOW we can go from there and add to the outside.

Yeah. I honestly thought we would go after Mangold when he was in the draft a few years back, but the dang Jets beat us to him. :P

Yeah. I honestly thought we would go after Mangold when he was in the draft a few years back, but the dang Jets beat us to him. :wallbash:

Jets didnt exactly beat us to him. Mangold went 3 picks later after we traded back up to select John McCargo... :P

yes, the LT is an important position. but without a good interior, one guy out on the flank isnt going to help the squad nearly as much as a star anchor in the middle.

good article HERE from ESPN about the importance of this currently non-sexy position.

Center is the most important position on the line. That's all there is to it. A good interior can help the outside. One good player outside isnt going to help anything.

Kent Hull was up there with Kelly, Thomas, Reed and Smith as a key factor of the Bills being as great as they were. Without Hull, we dont go to 4 straight.

The most important? No, clearly not.

Very important? Yeah, well, they all are, to some extent, aren't they? Any place you have a major weakness on the o-line will limit the success of the whole line. The minimum you need to have an effective o-line is an effective - though not necessarily outstanding - guy at every single position.

Last year, our center position was staffed by two guys who were simply not capable of playing at NFL standard. Defenses noticed, and this limited the effectiveness of the whole o-line.

When teams start to play their best pass rusher at DT, then center will be the most important position. When Elvis Dumervil, Antwan Odom, Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, James Harrison, Jimmy Wilkerson, Robert Mathis, Adewale Ogunleye, Greg Ellis, Charles Grant, Lawrence Jackson, Jarret Johnson, Kamerion Wimbley, Andre Carter, Trent Cole, Jason Taylor, Justin Tuck, John Abraham, Tully Banta-Cain, Kroy Biermann, Leonard Little, Julius Peppers, Trevor Pryce, Aaron Schobel, Osi Umenyiora and Mike Wright all play DT then center will be the most important position.

Those guys above are the top 26 pass rushers in terms of sacks in the NFL this year. In order from best (Dumervil and Odom tied with eight) to the nine guys tied for eighteenth place with three sacks apiece. There are two DTs on that list, and it should come as no surprise that both of them, Wright and Biermann, are tied for eighteenth and have three sacks.

Every other guy on that list of top sackers is a DE or an OLB, so they will be blocked by a tackle. Something like 90% of them will be blocked by the left tackle.

Yeah, it's important that the center play well, and very important indeed that he make good line calls. But it's much easier to find good centers, and at later positions in the draft, than to find a good LT. And with the LT it is almost necessary to use a high first rounder to get a good one.

Hell, looking at your article, even Brown's agent - and Brown is a center - said ""The center had been perceived as the Rodney Dangerfield position of the offensive line for a long time," Lewis said. "But it's actually the most important position after left tackle." And this from a guy whose paycheck depends on getting a high value for his client who is a center.

He's dead on. Center is becoming more important as 3 - 4 Ds become more common. So important that some people now think that center is actually number two, behind left tackle. Right tackle and center are fighting for #2, basically.

I love that we finally addressed the interior. But the fact that we had to gut the LT position to do so was a failure. There's no way around it.

Center is getting attention for all the wrong reasons in Buffalo this season. Hangartner is either out of position or was a major waste of money signing him as a free agent. He has trouble getting the ball to the QB on shotgun, is blocking is below average and has been called for way too many false starts for a center. In a perfect world, he would hang around next year as a backup, just like he was in Carolina, that seems to be the best fit for him, he isn't NFL starting material.

Let's hope you are right, but so far he is no different than any other draft pick the Bills have made over the last decade, full of potential but hasn't shown any of it yet.