Drafts NO. 1 Pick

CAVEDAWG

It won't happen. They always find a way to win just enough relatively meaningless games to knock themselves out of contention for the handful of truly elite prospects in any given draft. It happens almost every year.

This is all too true. Since 1980, the Bills have had exactly two picks in the top 5. Bruce Smith (1st overall, 1985), and Mike Williams (4th overall, 2002). This team has suffered through enough mediocrity--especially since 2000--that we deserve more than just that! Let's pray that this team continues to experience losses like the one we just had to Cleveland. Because winning games like that would destroy any hope of getting a top 5/elite prospect.

I'm not paying too much attention to next year's draft yet, but I don't know that being #1 is a huge benefit. Getting top five would be nice.

2007 Top 5: Russell, Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Gaines Adams, Levi Brown

2007 Not top 5: Adrian Peterson #7, Patrick Willis #11

2006 Top 5: Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Vince Young, D'Brick, AJ Hawk

2006 Not top 5: Cutler, Ngata

2005 Top 5: Alex Smith, Ronnie Brown, Braylon Edwards, Cedric Benson, Cadillac Wiliams

2005 Not top 5: Pacman, Aaron Rodgers, Luis Castillo

2004 Top 5: Eli Manning, Robert Gally, Fitzgerald, Rivers, Sean Taylor

2004 Not top 5: Kellen Winslow, Roy Williams, De Angelo Hall, Roethlisberger

2003 Top 5: Palmer, Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson, Dewayne Robertson, Terence Newman

2003 Not top 5: Terrell Suggs, Polamalu, Larry Johnson

So consistently there is someone in the top 5 who is not worth it, and often the #1 isn't the best player, and there area always stars available after the top 5.

In my heart of hearts I would love to see us get a top 5 pick, but this year is setting up to make that not necessarily that likely with some teams really struggling. But I would love to hand our new high paid Head Coach/GM some good picks to rebuild this crapfest. I think healthy we have more talent than it seems, and with a new coach, some high draft picks, and players hurt right now getting healty things could turn around pretty fast.

I know it is never the right thing to do, but right now I'm hoping for 2-14 instead of 7-9. We have zero shot of making the playoffs now, especially with the injuries piling up, and a fresh start will be better than overachieving and finding a way to 6-10 or 5-11.

The Big Board at www.drafttek.com has these as our top 12:

1 Ndamukong Suh Nebraska DT43 DE34 0

2 Russell Okung Oklahoma State OT OG +1

3 Taylor Mays USC FS SS +1

4 *Gerald McCoy Oklahoma DT43 +6

5 Colt McCoy Texas QB 0

6 *Carlos Dunlap Florida DE43 DE34 +15

7 C.J. Spiller Clemson RBC KR +1

8 *Dez Bryant Oklahoma State WRF KR -2

9 Greg Hardy Mississippi DE43 TE -7

10 Brandon LaFell LSU WRF +1

11 Brandon Spikes Florida ILB OLB34 OLB43 +1

12 Sean Weatherspoon Missouri OLB43 +3

We need to be in the Top Five. As you can see, we consider Pick 6-10 to be "No Man's Land" for the Bills right now. I'm very impressed with Brandon Spikes, but he got flagged for an unsportsmanlike penalty last Saturday. Greg Hardy could be a tweener (DE-TE) but hasn't jumped out from the pack. LaFell looked good Saturday in a loss.

The Big Board at www.drafttek.com has these as our top 12:

1 Ndamukong Suh Nebraska DT43 DE34 0

2 Russell Okung Oklahoma State OT OG +1

3 Taylor Mays USC FS SS +1

4 *Gerald McCoy Oklahoma DT43 +6

5 Colt McCoy Texas QB 0

6 *Carlos Dunlap Florida DE43 DE34 +15

7 C.J. Spiller Clemson RBC KR +1

8 *Dez Bryant Oklahoma State WRF KR -2

9 Greg Hardy Mississippi DE43 TE -7

10 Brandon LaFell LSU WRF +1

11 Brandon Spikes Florida ILB OLB34 OLB43 +1

12 Sean Weatherspoon Missouri OLB43 +3

We need to be in the Top Five. As you can see, we consider Pick 6-10 to be "No Man's Land" for the Bills right now. I'm very impressed with Brandon Spikes, but he got flagged for an unsportsmanlike penalty last Saturday. Greg Hardy could be a tweener (DE-TE) but hasn't jumped out from the pack. LaFell looked good Saturday in a loss.

First, I agree that we need to be in the top 5. That said, the Bills have a lot of needs. LT is the most glaring. QB is probably a need, though it's hard to be certain without an offensive line. With TO on his way out the door after the year, we'll probably need a big, physical WR to play alongside Evans. (Unless Steve Johnson is capable of stepping up and filling that role.) TE is an uncertain position; though Nelson at least offers us the possibility of a solution.

On defense, guys like Schobel and Kelsay are playing well--considerably better than we're used to seeing, in fact. But they're not getting any younger. Whether Maybin does or does not work out, we're still going to need more talent at DE over the next several years. More talent is also needed at DT. The LB corps is weak, with the exception of the oft-injured Poz.

However, this team has a very solid secondary.