Bills are not that far away

vincec

I know that things look bleak right now, but after thinking about a healthy Bills roster, I think that the Bills are one good draft and a new head coach away from turning things around.

On offense we have two good running backs, a good interior OL, solid WRs and a good TE prospect. We need to draft a LT obviously. Given our record we should be able to get a very good one. If Brad Butler comes back, we may only need one new starter. We will also need another WR to replace TO. I think the key on offense will be a new coach and system to help TE. He is regressing every week but I think that he can be salvaged. Frankly, he was probably getting better coaching at Stanford than with the Bills.

On defense we have a strong interior with good DTs and middle LB. We are deep at corner. We could use a bigger linebacker to play on the running downs and some future prospects at DE and DT but the rest is there.

So...

A new coach - the key.

LT (starter)

LB (starter)

WR (prospect)

DE (prospect)

DT (prospect)

We can do this next year.

I agree. What this team lacks is leadership from the HC. There is no such thing as re-building in the NFL any longer. The goal at the onset of EVERY season should be the Super Bowl -- not the Super Bowl in 4 year or the playoffs in 2 years, blah, blah, blah. EVERY YEAR the goal should be to win the Super Bowl. It that's not the goal, then just forfeit and stay home.

There *is* talent on this team, but there is no leadership.

I agree. What this team lacks is leadership from the HC. There is no such thing as re-building in the NFL any longer. The goal at the onset of EVERY season should be the Super Bowl -- not the Super Bowl in 4 year or the playoffs in 2 years, blah, blah, blah. EVERY YEAR the goal should be to win the Super Bowl. It that's not the goal, then just forfeit and stay home.

While I agree that the mindset of the HC is very important, it's hard to look at this team and think of it as a year off. I think it's too damaged by its own failures so far. I think we need a strong draft next year building through the o and d lines, and linebackers, and some moderate success, beat the teams we are supposed, i.e. Cleveland, and give some of the stronger teams a run and maybe steal one or two. The team needs to believe it can win close and/or big games before it will do so with any consistency.

how come all the fans and media see that so clearly yet the players keep kissing his ass?

Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5 in one year. It can be done.

With a new owner, a new coach, and the Tuna running the entire show. If you can get Parcells over here, I'd sign on with that optimism, other wise this team has spit in my face enough that I'm not particularly optimistic at this point.

Agree with your premise but.....

We had a Pro Bowl LT

Great ones don't grow on trees and it is no longer a given drafting the "best" lineman always works out. Even Joe Thomas is not playing that well this year.

We need two LB's ( I will not repeat all the arguements why Keith Ellison does not belong on an NFL roster) assuming Poz's glass arm heals and the Bills don't move Maybin to LB.

Too soon to give up on Maybin. DL is terribly difficult to make the jump to the NFL.

The Coach and Scouting staff need to be overhauled. This has been the source of all the problems since Bill Polian/John Bulter left. Do you see RW shelling out a ton of money for a top tier GM and Coach???

Nothing changes at the top so nothing changes.....

YEah, and just replace the HC is a really lame argument when Modrak and Guy have produced nothing during their 10 year tenure.

Oh, in case you couldn't read that, I said TEN year tenure. As in TEN.

Ten years of nothing. Futility. 1st round draft picks are often like a rush of adrenaline to a team. They can help to turn a franchise around. With all of the high picks of the past few years, who have they produced?

I will give the ok to Lee Evans and Marshawn Lynch. I like Eric Wood. I think Maybin will be a star. Maybe McElvin.

But they have also produced Mike Williams, Drew Bledsoe (trade), JP Losman, John McCargo, and Donte Whitner (jury is still out). They have collectively wasted more #1's than gained any benefits.

That isn't coaching.

Replace Modrak for his nothingness.

Guy has produced Robert Royal, Larry Triplett, was in the running for Darwin Walker (is he still even playing?), Derrick Dockery, and Langston Walker.

Stroud is a good pickup.

But who let Antoine Winfield and Pat Williams go? London Fletcher? Spikes was injured and Clements was way out of the market.

Guy should go as well.

So, until the Bills get real personnel men, it really does not matter who the coach is.

You missed the biggest problem by far....a new QB. If we had a QB we would be 4-1 and not even talking about this...captain check down is the biggest problem if you want to rank the problem list.

Missing WO receivers all day by overthrowing them or more often than not not throwing to them.

Show me a great team with a bad QB (very rare), show me a very bad team with a great QB....they do not exist. A great QB makes up for huge deficiencies elsewhere. We have very, very good skill positions and captain checkdown just will not get them the ball....and spare me the he doesn't have time agument. He has plenty of time on 90+% of plays and he just doesn't get it to them.

The partially good news is that we needed to find out if Trent was the QB of the future.....sadly we have the answer a resounding NO. The search continues for a 13th straight year

I'd agree that our players aren't as bad as they're playing. TO didn't suddenly forget how to run a route. We know Reed and Evans can catch the ball. Lynch and Jackson are more than capable backs. We have decent guards now. So, yeah, the entire offense doesn't need to be blown up.

I think we could say the same about the defense as well. They have a core group of guys that can play as well. Of course they all need to stay healthy!

What we're missing are the important pieces - Coaching, QB, LT, LB. I could easily see a quality coach coming in adding a few key players and changing this team around next season. Of course that all depends on the coach they bring in and what he does once he gets in.

In no way, do I think we'll get a good HC or make smart draft/FA decisions. But I think if we did they could turn this team around in one season, ala the fins. The fins are in not a great team. But, anyone watching the game right now should be able to see what a good HC/FO can do. They look worlds better than the Bills and are headed in the right direction.

If this season does anything, hopefully it keeps the fan base from reinvesting in the BS that gets shoveled their way! We have money we don't spend because of our "Cash to Cap" philosophy that could shore up skill positions. We could also afford better coaching, but we don't do it. We are trying to compete in the NFL with one arm tied behind our back and it is embarrassing.

I know that things look bleak right now, but after thinking about a healthy Bills roster, I think that the Bills are one good draft and a new head coach away from turning things around.

On offense we have two good running backs, a good interior OL, solid WRs and a good TE prospect. We need to draft a LT obviously. Given our record we should be able to get a very good one. If Brad Butler comes back, we may only need one new starter.

Butler cannot stay healthy, and because of that, is only as good as his back up. Time to start looking for Butler's replacement.

We will also need another WR to replace TO. I think the key on offense will be a new coach and system to help TE. He is regressing every week but I think that he can be salvaged. Frankly, he was probably getting better coaching at Stanford than with the Bills.

Edwards is done as a potential starter. Jauron has severely crippled Edwards' future. It would take a couple of years of proper coaching to undo the damage Jauron has done. As this point, Edwards still has a future as a back up.

On defense we have a strong interior with good DTs and middle LB. We are deep at corner. We could use a bigger linebacker to play on the running downs and some future prospects at DE and DT but the rest is there.

So...

A new coach - the key.

LT (starter)

LB (starter)

WR (prospect)

DE (prospect)

DT (prospect)

We can do this next year.