Could history repeat itself?

The 49ers were a moribund franchise much like the Bills are now. 1st year GM Scot McLoughan fired Mike Nolan after 3 losing seasons and a 2-6 record last year and replaced him on an interim basis with Singletary, then the Defensive Coordinator. Singletary had the now-famous run in with a lazy Vernon Davis, sending him to the showers rather than putting him on the field without full effort. He dropped trou to get the attention of his team at halftime of his second game. He replaced low-producing veterans with hungry young players. And now the 49ers are 3-1 with a 1 1/2 game lead (including a head-to-head road win) over the defending conference champion Cardinals.

That's what I want for my Bills. Who's that next guy?

Read this, from his page on 49ers.com:

Passion, Enthusiasm, Honesty and Loyalty … Those are the words Mike Singletary chose when asked to summarize who he is and what he is all about. They are the traits the San Francisco 49ers head coach carries in his arsenal as he navigates the waters of the NFL on a journey to mold the 49ers into a championship caliber team once again.

“Every day I come to work I know that my job as the head coach of this team is to set the tone,” Singletary said. “I am honest, and that’s just who I am. I want my players to know that I don’t compromise anything when it comes to this team, and I ask the same of them. I am accountable for everything I do and say, and I want them to be the same. I want my players to take ownership of this team. When they do that, the limits are boundless.”

Gawd, I want that...

The Niners are my new #2 team.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. You could watch the transformation taking place last year, starting right around the time they beat the Bills. The team really responded to the challenge. They play with passion. They play like it's fun. They play like they believe they can beat anybody. As a fan, I am extremely jealous.

Yup. You could watch the transformation taking place last year, starting right around the time they beat the Bills. The team really responded to the challenge. They play with passion. They play like it's fun. They play like they believe they can beat anybody. As a fan, I am extremely jealous.

What about Ron Rivera ?

I've heard his name mentioned alot as a potential HC. He seems pretty firey.

Yea, if you didnt fully expect a guy like Singletary to turn that team around you are clueless. The 49ers are one rediculous Farve throw from being 4-0. That is one damn good Minn team too, and it took that play to beat the 9ers. A coach like Singletary and a decent Gm could turn this team around by next season. I doubt it happens though.

Leslie Frazier from Minny would be a great choice as well. But do we want another inexperienced HC?

I dont know its a toss up look at the first time coaches that have success: John Harbaugh, Mike Smith, Mike Tomlin,Tony Sporano, but the Gregg Williams, and Mike full of Mularkey mistakes have me gun shy.

The 49ers were a moribund franchise much like the Bills are now. 1st year GM Scot McLoughan fired Mike Nolan after 3 losing seasons and a 2-6 record last year and replaced him on an interim basis with Singletary, then the Defensive Coordinator. Singletary had the now-famous run in with a lazy Vernon Davis, sending him to the showers rather than putting him on the field without full effort. He dropped trou to get the attention of his team at halftime of his second game. He replaced low-producing veterans with hungry young players. And now the 49ers are 3-1 with a 1 1/2 game lead (including a head-to-head road win) over the defending conference champion Cardinals.

Gawd, I want that...

Then, there's this...

Tweeting is starting to get on a lot of people's nerves.

New York Jets receiver David Clowney was benched after his Twitter message riled coach Rex Ryan. The Miami Heat was told: no more messages from the arena. Arizona Cardinal Larry Fitzgerald had to apologize because his brother ripped quarterback Kurt Warner, and Green Bay linebacker Nick Barnett briefly quit the social networking site. Even mellow Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson, an unusually modern 62-year-old, is wrestling with whether to permit tweeting by his team.

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach didn't bother debating - the Texas Tech football team was banned from tweeting after a player criticized the coach.

"It's "a bunch of narcissists that want to sit and type stuff about themselves all the time," Leach said. "We'll put mirrors in some of their lockers if that's necessary, but they don't have to Twitter."

I, too, am sick & tired of the way Jauron coddles this bunch of spoiled, rich, heartless, spineless, under-performing narcissists. It's no wonder they love the guy, and love playing for him - there are absolutely no consequences whatsoever for failing put forth at least a modicum of effort.

The guy you want is...

ON some teams they are players that can play the role of firestarter. Takeo Spikes, Ray Lewis, Darryl Talley, Thurman Thomas to name a few. On a team where a coach isn't firey (like Dungy), a player like Manning can do it. ON the Bills, I can't think of a single player that would get in the face of somebody and tell them to step it the !@#$ up.

Gawd, I want that...

ON some teams they are players that can play the role of firestarter. Takeo Spikes, Ray Lewis, Darryl Talley, Thurman Thomas to name a few. On a team where a coach isn't firey (like Dungy), a player like Manning can do it. ON the Bills, I can't think of a single player that would get in the face of somebody and tell them to step it the !@#$ up.

The only player that would do that is TO and he can't because the media would be all over him. So its up to someone else on the Bills and you are correct, there isn't one.

Anybody that knew anything about Football knew the Singletary would make any excellent choice for a Head coach and I was glad to see him get an opportunity and so far it has gone well.

I think the Bills game last year here was a turning point for them. You could see them responding to the change in culture. He used Vernon Davis and that told the team he was not going to take any BS no matter who you are. And it happened right in Ralphs backyard.

You would think Wilson would do the same thing.....NOT.

Then, there's this...

Tweeting is starting to get on a lot of people's nerves.

New York Jets receiver David Clowney was benched after his Twitter message riled coach Rex Ryan. The Miami Heat was told: no more messages from the arena. Arizona Cardinal Larry Fitzgerald had to apologize because his brother ripped quarterback Kurt Warner, and Green Bay linebacker Nick Barnett briefly quit the social networking site. Even mellow Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson, an unusually modern 62-year-old, is wrestling with whether to permit tweeting by his team.

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach didn't bother debating - the Texas Tech football team was banned from tweeting after a player criticized the coach.

"It's "a bunch of narcissists that want to sit and type stuff about themselves all the time," Leach said. "We'll put mirrors in some of their lockers if that's necessary, but they don't have to Twitter."

I, too, am sick & tired of the way Jauron coddles this bunch of spoiled, rich, heartless, spineless, under-performing narcissists. It's no wonder they love the guy, and love playing for him - there are absolutely no consequences whatsoever for failing put forth at least a modicum of effort.

The guy you want is...

Ok i know your like the biggest crusader for Leach but after watching that video i would love to have him on the buffalo Bills staff. The man could create a passing attack that rivals Peyton Manning with Graham Harrell imagine what he could with a real reciever and a QB in the NFL.

I weep for opposing defenses

Gawd, I want that...

I love Samurai Mike. Loved him as a player, love him as a coach. I can't wait until November when I fly down to SF and get to see them play TWICE (against Tennessee and against the Bears). I haven't seen good football live in almost a decade....

Gawd, I want that...

Jay, the thing is though ownership stays out of his way! Until ralph decides to turn this over to a REAL GM and get the hell out of the way, nothing changes.

Jay, the thing is though ownership stays out of his way! Until ralph decides to turn this over to a REAL GM and get the hell out of the way, nothing changes.

I was doing some research on their GM. Last year was his first year as a GM. But he's a football guy. Scout for the mid-90's Packers (won Super Bowl). Director of Scouting for the Seahawks (got to Super Bowl), then VP of Player Personnel for the Niners before being promoted to GM.

As the man in charge of the 49ers roster, McCloughan not only decides which players come and go through the doors of the team’s practice facility, but he also oversees the management of the team’s salary cap and player contracts. While working hand-in-hand with Head Coach Mike Singletary, McCloughan translates the needs of the 49ers coaching staff into a plan of attack for building the roster.

Gawd... I want THAT too!

Unlike the Bills and like most clubs, they don't have a Lollipop Guild LB corps... :wallbash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_CAs3q7G48...feature=related

“Every day I come to work I know that my job as the head coach of this team is to set the tone,”

What kind of tone does Dead Dick set? Sheesh, this is getting so old. I want a fiery son-of-a-B word as our coach!