BAD COACHING....OR EDWARDS SUCKS!?!?!?!

PDaDdy

This is a serious question I have. It's something that I have heard almost daily since I have been on this board. One of the FAVORITE excuses for Trent's poor performance on the field is bad coaching. It appears to me that that excuse is 100% pure unsubstantiated speculation. My questions are these...

Can anyone quantitatively or qualitatively give me any specifics on exactly HOW Edwards is being poorly coached?

Is anyone privy to certain drills he should be running and isn't?

Is anyone privy to what the coaches are telling him to do with the ball?

Does anyone know that he is not being taught how to read 3 - 4 defenses?

Does anyone know that he is not being properly instructed on his pocket presence?

Does anyone know if he is being told to check down even though coaching and the WRs publicly state they have to get the ball down field?

To make your point credible please provide specifics as to how he is being poorly coached!!! Questions are not specifics. "Jauron sucks" is not specific. "He wouldn't look like crap on the field if" is not specific.

I can say HONESTLY that I don't know one way or the other if Trent is being properly coached. My problem is that many people claim they do but don't really have a clue either.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a serious question I have. It's something that I have heard almost daily since I have been on this board. One of the FAVORITE excuses for Trent's poor performance on the field is bad coaching. It appears to me that that excuse is 100% pure unsubstantiated speculation. My questions are these...

Can anyone quantitatively or qualitatively give me any specifics on exactly HOW Edwards is being poorly coached?

Is anyone privy to certain drills he should be running and isn't?

Is anyone privy to what the coaches are telling him to do with the ball?

Does anyone know that he is not being taught how to read 3 - 4 defenses?

Does anyone know that he is not being properly instructed on his pocket presence?

Does anyone know if he is being told to check down even though coaching and the WRs publicly state they have to get the ball down field?

To make your point credible please provide specifics as to how he is being poorly coached!!! Questions are not specifics. "Jauron sucks" is not specific. "He wouldn't look like crap on the field if" is not specific.

I can say HONESTLY that I don't know one way or the other if Trent is being properly coached. My problem is that many people claim they do but don't really have a clue either.

I don't think it's all Edwards. Yes, he has his problems however you also have to look at the offensive line giving him little or time to throw. Bad offensive plays being called. Jauron being a giant wuss. I think all of those things combined can have an affect on a QB. Face it, Manning wouldn't be playing well if he were with the Bills.

I don't think it's all Edwards. Yes, he has his problems however you also have to look at the offensive line giving him little or time to throw. Bad offensive plays being called. Jauron being a giant wuss. I think all of those things combined can have an affect on a QB. Face it, Manning wouldn't be playing well if he were with the Bills.

I'm trying to keep an open mind on this because I too "feel" there could be some issues with coaching but I don't "know" anything.

Can you speak to some specifics of the bad offensive plays being called? (Remember Trent can AND DOES change plays to his liking at the line via the audible which he has been green lighted to use)

Specifically how is Jauron a wuss as far as coaching Edwards goes?

Yes our offensive line play is pretty offensive especially after the injuries to our backup quality tackles we are now down to guys that probably wouldn't make anyone elses active roster. This is negatively impacting Trent's performance but I am asking the question specifically about bad coaching!

i'd say both......

bad coaching AND edwards sucks

My "GUESS" is you are correct!! I don't want to guess, I want some sort of proof. I can make a valid claim the Edwards sucks because of his on field performance which I can observe and more importantly QUANTIFY. I guess I'm asking for some sort of quantifiable proof of bad coaching as far as Edwards specifically goes.

I'm open to the idea that it's bad coaching but I want to see claims supported with proof.

I hear bad coaching all of the time. My question is what bad coaching? Does anyone have any specifics as to what is bad? OR, is everyone just basing it on Edwards performance and assuming that he must have help to be that bad? I'm open to the idea but support your claim with proof.

Come on, no one here is going to be able to tell you what exactly goes on behind the scenes. You look at a young QB played well when he came in for JP, and then played well again last year when they started out the season 5-1. I think there is more going on that him turning into a lesser QB on his own.

Come on, no one here is going to be able to tell you what exactly goes on behind the scenes. You look at a young QB played well when he came in for JP, and then played well again last year when they started out the season 5-1. I think there is more going on that him turning into a lesser QB on his own.

Well if that is the answer I guess that is part of the point. How can we allege bad coaching when nobody really has a clue? At best I think all we can do is to evaluate any player based on on field performance. Any opinion that is even close to being worth anything has to be based on what we can observe and quantify skewed for performance of the people around that player.

Saying the coaching sucks but then not being able to back that up is a cop out and turns a blind eye to it actually being the players fault they are performing poorly.

impossible to evaluate players with such horrible coaching. my vote: NO MORE PERSONNEL CHANGES UNTIL JAURON IS FIRED

Please define and quantify the bad coaching as it applies to Edwards sucking? As I said I really am trying to keep an open mind on this and suspect there is some truth to it but without backing up that claim it's just hot air from a justifiably angry fan!

A post that is impossible to answer. Great work here.

As I said before if that is the answer then that is the point. If nobody can provide any specifics of how Edwards is being poorly coached then how can we say it is so? Unsubstantiated opinions for the most are are less than useless speculation as it can cloud our vision as to the real issues.

I have heard people say SO many times Edwards is being poorly coached. Instead of taking the condescending "you're an idiot" approach which so many people in forums do, myself included, I just thought I would give people a chance to elaborate. So far nobody has risen to the challenge of defending their claim that Edwards is being poorly coached.

Mind you this doesn't 100% prove that he ISN'T being poorly coached but it does seem to say that nobody really has any factual clue. The things I see him fail at on the field are due to Edwards being a 3rd round QB that isn't NFL starter caliber unless surrounded by a fantastic team.

As I said before if that is the answer then that is the point. If nobody can provide any specifics of how Edwards is being poorly coached then how can we say it is so? Unsubstantiated opinions for the most are are less than useless speculation as it can cloud our vision as to the real issues.

I have heard people say SO many times Edwards is being poorly coached. Instead of taking the condescending "you're an idiot" approach which so many people in forums do, myself included, I just thought I would give people a chance to elaborate. So far nobody has risen to the challenge of defending their claim that Edwards is being poorly coached.

Mind you this doesn't 100% prove that he ISN'T being poorly coached but it does seem to say that nobody really has any factual clue. The things I see him fail at on the field are due to Edwards being a 3rd round QB that isn't NFL starter caliber unless surrounded by a fantastic team.

so in a nutshell you wanted to ask a question that is pretty impossible to answer or refute so that you can feel better about making the stance that edwards sucks. Ok. :nana:

Please define and quantify the bad coaching as it applies to Edwards sucking? As I said I really am trying to keep an open mind on this and suspect there is some truth to it but without backing up that claim it's just hot air from a justifiably angry fan!

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but....

It is painfully obvious over the last few seasons that DJ is a very "play it safe" coach, so if you believe that leadership reflects attitude of those who follow than TE's regression into always checking down and "playing it safe" could be directly linked to the coach.

so in a nutshell you wanted to ask a question that is pretty impossible to answer or refute so that you can feel better about making the stance that edwards sucks. Ok. :nana:

I'm completely fine with my stance that Edwards sucks. If anything it makes me feel worse about it because as Edwards sucks so do the Bills. If Edwards IS being poorly coached then perhaps all we need at the end of the year is a new coach. If Edwards just sucks on his own then that means we need a QB AND a head coach at the end of the year.

Also, as I engage in forum discussion and Edwards apologists keep trotting out that he is being poorly coached I can with clear conscience tell them that they don't have a leg to stand on.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but....

It is painfully obvious over the last few seasons that DJ is a very "play it safe" coach, so if you believe that leadership reflects attitude of those who follow than TE's regression into always checking down and "playing it safe" could be directly linked to the coach.

AH....a ray of light!

This is at least something that bears consideration and you've put more thought into it than "Jauron sucks maaaaaan!". I do believe Jauron to be a conservative play it safe coach. I don't know this 100% but, trick plays aside, it's something that I could reasonable infer from the general game plan I see on Sundays. I suppose that it is possible that if Jauron is driving it into Trent's head to not turn the ball over that Trent's interpretation is to play it safe and constantly check down.

This does however seem to be in conflict with public statements made by Jauron of getting Evans and Owens more involved in the offense which I assume means throwing the ball down field. Unfortunately it might be that Trent thinks throwing the ball down field and playing safe mistake free football are mutually exclusive. This could also be because the times I have seen Trent throw down field the balls are often questionable without even a good spiral on them.

And you know this based on what? What you see? And how do you know what "you see" are attributable to only to Edwards?

As Edwards said during the preseason: He plays the way he is coached.

I'm completely fine with my stance that Edwards sucks. If anything it makes me feel worse about it because as Edwards sucks so do the Bills. If Edwards IS being poorly coached then perhaps all we need at the end of the year is a new coach. If Edwards just sucks on his own then that means we need a QB AND a head coach at the end of the year.

Also, as I engage in forum discussion and Edwards apologists keep trotting out that he is being poorly coached I can with clear conscience tell them that they don't have a leg to stand on.

I totally understand what you mean, and have thought this also. We can't really know for sure either way. But, it comes down to this: Has the following conversation taken place?

Dickie J: Trent, if you don't throw the ball deep on this play and just check down again, I'm benching you, and making you attend bingo night with Ralph this week.

Obviously that is in jest, but you get the drift. He hasn't forced Edwards to take chances. We know this as fact because Edwards hasn't taken chances. That is bad coaching in my books. Bad QB'ing also, but bad coaching nonetheless.