Pitoniak: "Time for some Cowher Power in Buffalo"

Lori

more plausible than the theory you must subscribe to that cheapo ralph suddenly felt the need to blow $9 million.

Dude. Ralphie was all giddy after a 5 - 1 start and coughed up the cash just before the wheels flew off?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you can only win with big name coaches. I think they should look at Paul Pasqualoni from Miami- you know, the guy that got run out of Syracuse.....the last guy to win there.

Like they have done well hiring no names? I agree with you it doesn't have to be a big name guy. The Bills seem hardly aware or informed enough to know where to look for a good unknown candidate. Do you really think they would recognize one if they got lucky enough to stumble upon one?

Valid points. I'll add that as much as I dislike Greggggg, Donahoe did him no favors by burning a first-round pick on McGahee (instead of someone who might actually be able to PLAY that season, a novel concept) in GW's final year here.

Lori, There is a smugness and arrogance about Greg Williams which did him in when he was with the Redskins and he was a candidate to replace the suddenly retired Joe Gibbs. After Washington's safety, Sean Taylor, was killed he, without telling HC Joe Gibbs, sent out 10 defensive players as a tribute for the missing Taylor in a game against the Bills. This was the first game after the emotional funeral for Taylor. Joe Gibbs didn't appreciate not being informed and getting his approval for this "missing player" tribute. In addition, Greg Williams, in his own inimitable way, was dismissive of Vinny Cerato, the owner's hand picked personnel person. Greg Williams also didn't show enough deference to the little peacock owner, Danny Snyder, who has no fear in humiliating and firing people. Thus when candidates were being interviewed for the job opening Greg Williams not only wasn't hired but was subjected to a very humiliating "extended" interviewing process. Needless to say Greg Williams never got the job, and subsequently got hired as a DC for the Saints.

It is my opinion, a minority opinion, that Greg Williams could have been a good HC for the Bills. But he never stood a chance of succeeding because there never was an adequate talent base for him to work with. His first couple of years were used to clean up the cap mess and move out a lot of the veteran players. Despite the fact that his teams were mediocre talent wise, his teams always played hard for him.

What Greg Williams needs to learn is to modulate his "hardball" approach towards the players. I think as he gets older and is more experienced he is learning to do that.

Cowher's waiting for JoePa to retire so he can go to Penn State, win a BCS title and then rule as Lord and Emperor of all Pennsylvania until his death.

Let's say you're a high school senior. Where are you gonna sign? With the chin or the sweater vest? I dare a Western PA kid to turn down the chin...

I like the idea of a Gruden or a Schotenheimer (Cower is going to be in Washington or Dallas and Holmgren is going to end up in the other place) While Shanahan is overrated and has to high a price tag for Ralph.

So that leaves Gruden and an outside shot of Schotenheimer (Assuming he wants to come out of retirement) as far as hiring a coach with experience both those guys are in the second tier of proven coaches but aren't retreads (Gruden was doing OK in Tamps plus has a ring and Schotenheimer brought San Diego back from the dead to Super Bowl contender)

To me its Gruden or Schotenheimer if you are going with a proven coach both of them have what it takes to resurrect franchises (Gruden in Oakland and Shotenheimer in San Diego and else where). Most likely Ralph is going to hire a third rate retread like Jauron or a no name coordinator (Not even a highly sought after guy like Russ Grimm).

I think if you go coordinator you have to go Russ Grimm or some other guy that other teams actually want (Like a Rex Ryan type last year). The time to hire the Mike Mularky's and Gregg Williams of the world is over. Get us a good coach Ralph and don't be afraid to open up the wallet.

It would surprise me if Ralph would go threw the interview process and hire Cowher.

One Ralph is a tight wad.

Second ,Cowher would want complete control. Last time Ralph gave someone complete control of the organization was with Donahoe and I doubt he would do it again.

I don't think Marty would come out of retirement but the Bills would be a perfect fit. He can at least get us to the playoffs with Marty Ball.

I like the Russ Grimm idea. Ex-hog and you know he would be hands on with this O-line.

My second choice would be Shanahan , then Chuckie.

I say Jon Gruden and vote Gruden because I think its possible, but Cowher is by far my favorite choice and nobody even comes close. I also think if its done quick enough Bobby April could make for an interesting season.

Let me ask you a question. Are you HAPPY with the Bills defense? Jon Gruden is an offensive Coach ONLY. He would most likely retain Fewell to run the Defense. Think about that.

I shall hope that Jeff Fisher gets the Axe. ... and I still like Jim Haslett, so there.

Why Haslett? Do you know his winning percentage as an NFL coach is .435 after about 100 games. Dick's winning percentage in Buffalo is .423. Could be marketed well, but probably no better than what we got now.

I'd take Jeff Fisher in a heartbeat even if the Titans go 0-16 this year.

Why Haslett? Do you know his winning percentage as an NFL coach is .435 after about 100 games. Dick's winning percentage in Buffalo is .423. Could be marketed well, but probably no better than what we got now.

I'd LOVE Fisher as Coach of the Bills, even though I HATE him. Haslett may not be a better Coach than Jauron, but at least his team would not be as BORING

What marketing? So he played here a few years. Big frickin deal. He wasn't that good of a LB and he is not a good coach even Katrina not withstanding.

He won't take us to the promised land. There are exactly zero coaches who have won the SB with 2 teams, hell the only coaches to appear on behalf of two franchises are Holmgren and Shula.

I'd be in for a guy who has never won a SB, young or old, with a proven record of success. Guys like Marty Schottenheimer or Russ Grimm.

Dick Vermiel and Dan Reeves might be surprised to hear you say that about Holmgren and Shula being the only coaches to appear on behalf of two franchises. Dick Vermiel appeared in two SBs, winning the second. Reeves lost them all, but appeared for two teams, Denver and the Falcons.

And Parcells won with two teams. That's five guys who have appeared with two teams.

Considering that there have only been 26 coaches who have won a Super Bowl and only 18 more who have appeared there but haven't picked up a win, that's fairly good odds. Also, remember that coaches from the last 5 or 6 years have usually not had any chance (Cowher for instance has never coached a second team, same with Fox, same with Reid, and several more have coached two teams but only won with the second and haven't coached a third, Belichick for instance. Levy is another interesting case, a guy who was considered too old to have another team by the time he was interested. Throw in the fact that a lot of the absolute best never went back into head coaching because they were too old or had nothing to prove, Lombardi, Noll, and Walsh being perhaps the best examples.

The odds are pretty good.

I'd love Schottenheimer and Grimm. But the reason nobody has won it twice has much more to do with how difficult it is to do it once than anything to do with winning it twice. Things have to come together perfectly, and there just aren't that many guys who won a SB, left the first team, joined a second team and found themselves in a position to legitimately have a shot at the Super Bowl the second time, which usually requires the usual checklist of a good GM, a very good QB and a good defense and a lot of luck.

Everyone associated with the league knows who Ralph Wilson is and what he stands for. He is an old time baron who is a quarter century behind the NFL times. A lot of people act is if this year's version of a team is much different from what it has been over the past decade. It is not. It is a bad product now just as it has been for a long time.

When Greg Williams was in the last year of his contract Donahoe went to him and asked him if he wanted to have a one year extension so he wouldn't be a lame duck coach. Williams said no. His contract was not renewed when it expired which allowed him to go to the Redskins as their DC at twice the amount of money he was making when he was a HC for the Bills. Greg Williams was astute enough to realize that working in this organization gave him little opportunity to succeed.

When the Donahoe era mercifully ended Marv Levy took over the operaiton. Mike Mularkey, the HC, preferred taking a buyout rather than remain the HC. He knew that the system (organization) was designed to fail. Rather than remaining with a sinking ship he wisely left on his own accord with a negotiated settlement. Marv Levy then selected Dick Jauron as the new HC. What were his qualifications that appealed to the congenial Levy? It certaianly wasn't his past winning record.

No one who joins the Al Davis Raider organization or the Ralph Wilson Bills organization will get any sympathy from me when they are subjected to the erratic and destructive behavior of the respective owners. There are no surprises. Both owners are reknowed for their idiosyncratic (lunatic) behavior. :cry:

Man are you twisting the facts to fit your argument.

Gregg Williams didn't re-sign because he thought he was going to do well that last year and then could make Ralph pay him much more as a proven winner. His unwarranted confidence in his ability to win that last year is what caused him to turn down that contract.

Mularkey turned them down because his family had been threatened and because he didn't want to work with a GM he'd never worked with before.

Neither of these were a result of the organizational problems you imply.