Most mind-boggling stat (of many) ...

We gave up 472 yards rushing in our last two games. Let that sink in for a second. 472 yards ... in two games. Good God, even O.J. never got 472 in two games. And he got 2,003 in 14 games. I'm still in shock. I've seen a lot of things in 40 years following this team, but that has GOT to be some kind of record for defensive ineptitude. I better calm down because I have to get up in about three hours and go to work. But 472 yards in two frickin' games? Where do you even START to address that?

We gave up 472 yards rushing in our last two games. Let that sink in for a second. 472 yards ... in two games. Good God, even O.J. never got 472 in two games. And he got 2,003 in 14 games. I'm still in shock. I've seen a lot of things in 40 years following this team, but that has GOT to be some kind of record for defensive ineptitude. I better calm down because I have to get up in about three hours and go to work. But 472 yards in two frickin' games? Where do you even START to address that?

Not that I want to give anyone on this team credit for anything, but does that somewhat coincide with Whitner getting injured? Could it be that he's as important to our defense as Troy is in Pittsburgh or Sanders is in Indy? If so, perhaps he's not the total waste of a pick like so so often suggest.

Allowing 472 rushing yards over the course of two games equates to allowing nearly 4,000 rushing yards over the course of a season.

Imagine if the offense had as many yards rushing as the defense allowed in rushes. Our starter would have 2,000 yards rushing, and the change of pace/backup RB would have 1,776 rushing yards. I strongly suspect that would be the most dominant rushing attack in NFL history!

Which, unfortunately, is how our defense is making other teams' rushing attacks look. :lol:

Not that I want to give anyone on this team credit for anything, but does that somewhat coincide with Whitner getting injured? Could it be that he's as important to our defense as Troy is in Pittsburgh or Sanders is in Indy? If so, perhaps he's not the total waste of a pick like so so often suggest.

Being a good player and/or a wasted pick are 2 entirely different things imo. He would have been a very nice player for a team with a solid foundation, although a #8 was very high under any circumstances.

You can't build a team around its secondary and expect to win.

if your scheme relies on 2 safeties to stop the run, you are screwed anyway.

Usually, the middle of the run defense is considered the DTs and the MLB or the NG and ILBs. Only here would we consider a pair of safeties that line up 15-20 yards off the ball as the cornerstones of a run defense.

Has anyone put an APB out on Marcus Stroud?

Usually, the middle of the run defense is considered the DTs and the MLB or the NG and ILBs. Only here would we consider a pair of safeties that line up 15-20 yards off the ball as the cornerstones of a run defense.

Got to love Jauron and his apologists.

Maybe our first round draft choice this year can help. Oh wait, he's a one trick pony DE. He "might" be good in a couple of years.

I think the DL is doing an OK job. Linebackers are awful. The Safeties other than Wilson are pathetic. The offense is keeping the D on the field way too long.

The answer to your question is in this order

The offense is pathetic

The linebacking is pathetic

the secondary tackling is pathetic.

I think the DL is doing an OK job. Linebackers are awful. The Safeties other than Wilson are pathetic. The offense is keeping the D on the field way too long.

The answer to your question is in this order

The offense is pathetic

The linebacking is pathetic

the secondary tackling is pathetic.

What is most annoying, and it's been harped on before, but the linebacker issues could have been seen after last season and the Bills did absolutely nothing to improve their depth in the offseason.

It's frustrating beyond belief when everyone can see the problem and the FO pretends it doesn't exist.

Being a good player and/or a wasted pick are 2 entirely different things imo. He would have been a very nice player for a team with a solid foundation, although a #8 was very high under any circumstances.

You can't build a team around its secondary and expect to win.

Amen to that! :thumbsup:

Many people on this board drastically overestimate the skill level of our backups. Pull up the threads regarding Buggs, or the signing of the no name off of the Packers practive squad to replace Butler.

if your scheme relies on 2 safeties to stop the run, you are screwed anyway.

Never once said it did. However, when you're middle linebacker (who the scheme DOES rely on in rush situations) misses his tackle (as we're now all used to seeing with POZ out of the lineup), and you ARE stacking 8 in the box (I trust you understand this includes the safeties), then once the back breeches the second wave of defense and he's got nothing but reserves in front of him (in this case a rookie and a converted WR), then yes our run defense is going to suck, especially when we're playing a team who relies on unconventional rushing plays to keep the defense off-balance.

Never once said it did. However, when you're middle linebacker (who the scheme DOES rely on in rush situations) misses his tackle (as we're now all used to seeing with POZ out of the lineup), and you ARE stacking 8 in the box (I trust you understand this includes the safeties), then once the back breeches the second wave of defense and he's got nothing but reserves in front of him (in this case a rookie and a converted WR), then yes our run defense is going to suck, especially when we're playing a team who relies on unconventional rushing plays to keep the defense off-balance.

8 in the box means 1 safety. You see, 4 lineman + 3 linebackers + 1 safety = 8 players. :thumbsup:

Typically, the S is brought up on the edge so that he can use his speed effectively and minimize his size liability. That let's you overload the point of attack.

In the Bills case, we have tweeners at LB -- guys that are big, slow safety types. So, our LB corps is small and underpowered and susceptible to the run. This might work ok if our offense jumped on people and gave us a big lead and forced the other team to pass every down. But, we don't have much of an offense.

oh i thought the MOST mind-boggling statistic you were going to tell me that during the last 2 games, our PUNTER has thrown the same number of TD passes as our QUARTERBACK!!

that is terrible.

Thanks. I was just starting to feel less nauseous about yesterday. :thumbsup::worthy: