If Ralph is not willing

Yet if he paid a fraction of the money he would spend on a first round, top 5 pick at QB on a quality head coach (see Cowher, Shannahan) who could be had for 4-5 million a year he could improve the franchise. A head coach can improve and develop not just one position, but all positions on the team.

Pay the price for a quality head coach, stop shopping the retread/ unproven aisle when looking for a coach

Bingo! Not to mention that they'd get a good group of coaches to follow them here.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo! Not to mention that they'd get a good group of coaches to follow them here.

I'm curious, how many successful head coaches that are in the league now were big name hires? The hoodie certaintly wasn't at the time, Tomlin wasn't. It seems to me a lot more guys are being hired like Ryan, Sporano, and Payton. We've tried guys like that with Williams Mularky, We've just missed.

I'm curious, how many successful head coaches that are in the league now were big name hires? The hoodie certaintly wasn't at the time, Tomlin wasn't. It seems to me a lot more guys are being hired like Ryan, Sporano, and Payton. We've tried guys like that with Williams Mularky, We've just missed.

You're right about us just picking the wrong guy, on many occasions. But to bring in a proven coach like Cowher, or Shannahan, or Gruden, or Schottenheimer is what this team needs. Those guys know how to assemble a coaching staff, they know what kind of players they need, and they know how to win. You can knock Schottenheimer for his playoff woes, but he was one fumble and a clutch Elway moment away from a SB appearance with the Browns. He had some bad breaks in SD. Tell me you wouldn't want ANY of these guys over Jauron and I will call you a liar. :thumbsup:

You're right about us just picking the wrong guy, on many occasions. But to bring in a proven coach like Cowher, or Shannahan, or Gruden, or Schottenheimer is what this team needs. Those guys know how to assemble a coaching staff, they know what kind of players they need, and they know how to win. You can knock Schottenheimer for his playoff woes, but he was one fumble and a clutch Elway moment away from a SB appearance with the Browns. He had some bad breaks in SD. Tell me you wouldn't want ANY of these guys over Jauron and I will call you a liar. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I would, and the entire fan base would be energized. But I have to ask myself why no other teams are bringing in these guys? Everyone is hiring the next hot coordinator hoping to get lucky. Is it strictly a money thing? You would think winning more would make up for the extra salary.

I'm sure I would, and the entire fan base would be energized. But I have to ask myself why no other teams are bringing in these guys? Everyone is hiring the next hot coordinator hoping to get lucky. Is it strictly a money thing? You would think winning more would make up for the extra salary.

It could be the owners are preparing for NO Football after next year so they don't want to be on the Hook for the salary of a Big time coach.

It's strictly a money thing. Especially for rw. You can't sell more seats than a sellout (except, perhaps, in Dallas)

I just can't fathom that. The NFL is on top of the world right now, they have to get a deal done.

You would think so, BUT...........................it has happened before & they have a deal in place with TV & the networks know the posibility exists for a year of no Football.

Agreed, we need a new GM that knows what the hell he is doing.

Ralph Wilson fired Bill Polian. He fired John Butler/A.J. Smith, who now runs the Chargers. Ralph Wilson hired Donahoe to be his GM. The owner let Donahoe go adter his damaging tenure and five year contract ran out. Ralph Wilson hired the congenial Marv Levy to be his GM. The likeable Marv accomplished little in his short stint. Ralph Wilson hired Russ Brandon, the marketing guru, to head the football operation. Is Russ Brandon a real GM in the conventioanl way a regular GM functions? Who knows for sure? Ralph Wilson is comfortable with the way the front office is structured and how it has performed. The clueless owner is the boss. He does things the way he wants to. When you are approaching 91 yrs of age and are very stubborn who is going to tell him that he doesn't know what he is doing and that he should let a knowledgeable football person run his losing, but lucrative organization? No one who wants to stay on the payroll, of course. :D

So where have other teams spent this money on 1st round QB's and the Bill's haven't? As was mentioned already Johnson, Losman, and someone mentioned a third one the Bills signed, that I'm forgetting the name of. On the other hand look at NE, Dallas. Neither of those guys were first rounders. What was Montana, a 4th rounder. You mention Ryan and Flaco, neither of which was a high profile signing. Look at all the high 1st round failures. Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Vince Young to name a few. Cinn has had a handful alone! For every successful 1st round QB you can come up, there are likely two to three failures. Signing a 1st round QB means nothing towards success.

"Mr. Wilson, why is it that every other owner in the NFL would shell out the money for a first round QB, but you simply won't".

Then he should not be an owner at all. Let’s face it, first round QB’s can change the attitude on the team and can have an impact right away. The Baltimore Ravens and the Atlanta Falcons were two teams that were in dismay a couple years ago. Then when the draft rolled around they picked up Ryan and Flacco. Each of them led there respected teams to the playoffs last year. Flash forward to this year. Even though the season is still rolling, Mark Sanchez and Matt Stafford look very composed and promising in their first year. The main point I am trying to get across, is that I think people under estimate first round QB choices because of Losman. So what we got screwed. Bills fans we have seen what a first round QB can do for our franchise (see Kelly). Honestly I think for this team to go forward we need to take a chance and get a QB next year in the first round, but that’s just my opinion. The scary thing is, I think Ralph Wilson might not shell any money on a first round QB. This is what I would tell Ralph about the money situation. “Ralph, many teams have put money into first round QB’s and seen a complete change in their team,” ““In addition to that, Owners have spent the money to make sure that they are willing to join”. If Wilson replied with a “no I won’t spend money on a first round QB”, then I would reply like this. “Mr. Wilson, why is it that every other owner in the NFL would shell out the money for a first round QB, but you simply won’t”. “What makes you so different from the rest of the NFL owners”? I feel if Ralph Wilson is not willing to shell out money for a first round QB, then he does not qualify as an NFL owner because simply every other owner in the NFL would do it no matter how good they think there QB will do.

Um, what round was JP drafted and didnt we also give up a lot to move up to get him...lol at all these Ralph conspiracy theories...

To draft a QB in the top 10, we need to be drafting in the top 10 and the only time we drafted in the top 10 in recent years we already had a QB...the time before that we went for the stud OL guy who busted, but we tried to build the line first...

But keep trying with your conspiracy theories...

Not to mention its no secret we were intent on taking Big Ben but Pitt snagged him first...

Where is the evidence that RW WON'T give 1st round QB money? We would have taken Roethlisberger (sp?) if the Steelers didn't and ended up taking and paying for a QB in the 1st round of the same draft, anyway.

Is this just another baseless "RW is cheap" theory?

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly, there is a well known and relatively predictable slotting system associated with paying draft picks. I do not recall at any time in the past decade (if not more) where the Bills have had any issue ultimately geting picks signed. Maybin was a slight issue this year but that is due in large part to the Crabtree mess.

If you want to support a franchise with a big spending owner look up Dan Snyder. See where his wallet has gotten him with players and coaching staffs.

Money does not buy championships. Solid coaching, solid drafting, wise free agent additions and perhaps a little luck will get you there.

Yes he fired Bulter a week prior to last game of the season when his contract was about to run out, but lets not let facts get in the way of things.

EdRoch, How have the Chargers done since A.J. Smith's arrival? How have the Bills done since his departure?

With respect to facts Butler/A.J. Smith got fired by the owner. That is a fact. Another fact is that Butler was not going to continue on working for the irascible owner because he couldn't tolerate his foolishness any longer. That is a fact. :D