How Do We Beat Brees this week?

billsguy512

I definitely think the Bills can win this week, though it would definitely be one of the biggest wins we've had in my short term memory. In order for them to be successful this week, I feel the below needs to happen:

1. Fred Jackson needs to have a lot of carries, so we can eat up a ton of clock and keep the ball out of Brees' hands.

2. Buffalo needs to throw the kitchen sink at Brees on D and rely on their corners to cover man to man. This worked really well by the Jets vs. Brady last weekend and I think if the D sits back in the cover 2 this weekend, Brees will pick us apart.

I know that there are a lot more football savvy people on this site, so what do you think the most important key to winning the game this weekend is (aside from D. Brees' arm falling off)?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely think the Bills can win this week, though it would definitely be one of the biggest wins we've had in my short term memory. In order for them to be successful this week, I feel the below needs to happen:

1. Fred Jackson needs to have a lot of carries, so we can eat up a ton of clock and keep the ball out of Brees' hands.

2. Buffalo needs to throw the kitchen sink at Brees on D and rely on their corners to cover man to man. This worked really well by the Jets vs. Brady last weekend and I think if the D sits back in the cover 2 this weekend, Brees will pick us apart.

I know that there are a lot more football savvy people on this site, so what do you think the most important key to winning the game this weekend is (aside from D. Brees' arm falling off)?

time of possesion is relatively worthless imo... to win we must scored tds when we have the ball and also play good on defense....if we press their wrs and let scott man up shockey we will win imo but if we keep letting the tes run loose we will lose

I felt like when the nickel package checked into the game last week we got beat. I think we had Kelsay, Maybin, and Schobel in at the same time in this package. We weren't getting pressure and receivers had time to get open. This will have been seen on film and they will fix this by putting lineman in who can pressure the QB or not running this scheme as much.

Truthfully I think if we put up 28 points we will win this game.

Guest dog14787

The answer my friend is blowin in the wind...

Whats lost in the high powered passing attack is how the Saints ran the ball 64 times in two games averaging over 4.5 yards a carry.

Stop the Run, stop the Saints.

Field position (only 10 of their points last week came on long drives) - make them go the length of the field , Don't miss tackles, Don't turn the ball over.

Also need to disguise pressure and recognize he roll-out patterns. He does it a lot. Eagles defended it ok, but missed too many tackles.

TDs, forcing turnovers, and special teams.

Also scoring more points is the true key

Yep. But most importantly, we don't try to beat Brees this week. We beat the Saints. While going 2-6 on the road last year, Brees put up some pretty amazing numbers in losses, going over 400 yards once. Let the fantasy football people get excited about their offense, let's hope for some rain, and play good D, get a couple picks out of his 50 passes, and score some touchdowns instead of field goals.

I can see this game going 30-28 Bills pretty easily (two offensive TDs, three FGs, one ST TD for example, and Brees getting four touchdowns and passing for 330 with an INT). Either way I can't wait and like our chances. Right now the Saints might be a better team than we are, but they are overrated, and allowed 27 points to Detroit, and scored big against Philly with McNabb out and some points off turnovers.

I could tell you all how to beat Brees but then I'd have to, you know, kill you.

Seriously, this reminds me of the Marino matchups in the late 80s. You're not going to stop Brees. He's gonna find a way to get his 300+. You can only hope to limit his opportunities, make sure his damage is limited mostly to between the 20s. And fly like hell to the ball in the red-zone. We need speed and lots of it when on D inside the 20. Gotta man up at "least" one of our CBs and take away Shockey and the middle of the field down there. It would also help to MAKE them one-dimensional by getting up on them. As somebody mentioned earlier, they've run the ball very well and that's been lost in the hoopla of all the passing yards and points.

We'll have to bring extra pressure at times but anyone who thinks Brees won't feast on a steady diet of blitzes is kidding themselves. He's seen it all and will KILL our blitzes. Front four HAS to find a way, especially Williams and Stroud. I'd settle for just disrupting his timing like we did to Marino all those years ago. QBs HATE to be hurried more than anything. Hurries are what lead to INTs, not sacks.

No matter how you slice it, it's a tough task. But I like our chances if our offense continues to build on last week. We have to have TDs and limit them to FGs. Sounds simplistic but hey, it ain't that complicated. Just difficult. But I DO think we match up well against them. We will be the fastest team they've seen this season. We're at home. It's not a short trip for them and they're too busy reading their clippings about how great they are. They are due for a letdown.

And I get the feeling it's gonna be for them what it was like for us to travel to Tampa Bay years ago. We ALWAYS seemed to play flat there.

34 - 24 Bills.

GO BILLS!!!

After watching the Saints play last week, the 2 times Brees was sacked wasn't becasue of the Eagles sending extra men. It was because the timing of the WRs route was thrown off because the WR couldn't get off the LOS forcing Brees off of his primary receiver. This caused him to try and buy more time in the pocket and allowed the Eagles DL to get penetration to bring him down.

The key is to have our CBs play physical at the LOS and not allow them a clean break at the start of the play.

Another key is to stop the passes in the flats. The TEs routes are run in conjunction with the RBs routes, forcing the safeties and LBs to choose one or the other. Stopping these plays will be primary becasue they are essentially an easy completion for Brees and almost like a long hand off. This is where the effective tackling is going to play a huge role. Remember this play? That's what we need to do.

They also like to do PA passes and roll out Brees. Who ever has backside contain is going to have to be disciplined to hold their position and not bite on the fake, then get in Brees' face and force him to throw over a taller lineman. The Eagles did this effectively (only after they were beat by a TD pass) and got an INT.