How Do We Beat Brees this week?

billsguy512

[quote name='tecmobowlbills' date='Sep 24 2009, 07:48 AM' post='1567264'

I know its been said but man we need to slow the game down against New Orleans. The less Brees has the ball the better.

This just makes me angry at Lynch. If he wasn't a dumb A$$ we could use our two talented backs and pound the ball.

Thanks Lynch, thanks a lot

I do not think one should be too sure that the approach going in should be to slow the game down.

While this seems obvious at first glance, one does not have to glance too far to see that the interplay between NO and its first two opponents was dictated by the fact that both Det and Phi were playing NO with one hand tied behind their back as rookie QB Stafford saw his first action ever in the game against NO and Phi was being led by McNab back-up Kolb .

It is not surprising at all that Brees was operating a NO which had little fear that the opponent holding their own in a QB-led offensive battle.

The no huddle is key for us in that its primary advantage for us is that it makes it much harder for an opponent to run complicated blitz packages on us which are hard for our inexperienced OL to pick up. Opponents neither have the time to substitute the packages of players they want to run different rush packages nor do Ds have an opportunity to huddle up and communicate to each other which different rush stunts they are going to use. The no huddle reduces the pass rush to more simple straight forwas man to man blocking.

Turnovers are going to be a big key to this game and if we can minimize them by playing in our own normal pace, we will likely be better off running the no huddle than not.

We will need to execute to avoid a lot of three and outs, but as the NO D is the lower third of the league in most D stats, I do not think starting out we should fear running the no huddle.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather might play a factor. Only "might". It'll be rainy, but the real factor could be the wind. Weather.com is calling for winds from the SW at 12-15 mph. The kicker, however, is what is in store for Monday. Showers and a wind moving up towards 21 mph. If that second blast gets to Buffalo a little sooner than later, the long pass aspect of both teams' game will be hindered. The field will shorten to RBs, TE, Slot receivers. If THAT'S the case, the Bills should be able to keep up in a track meet. More importantly, however, the weather MIGHT allow a more effective blitz package. Not as many fruitful opportunities to get out of the blitz by bombing long if the WRs are dropping balls.

I dont think the weather is going to be as much as a factor as most people think. The wind is supposed to be 10-15mph & Channel 4 says the rain is going to stop in the morning. Should actually be a decent day for football. The weather Channell generalizes a region & tries to cover their ass. The local channels are more accurate imo.

I dont think the weather is going to be as much as a factor as most people think. The wind is supposed to be 1015mph & Channel 4 says the rain is going to stop in the morning. Should actually be a decent day for football. The weather Channell generalizes a region & tries to cover their ass. The local channels are more accurate imo.

Can we put up some windmills in a hurry ? :rolleyes:

I dont think the weather is going to be as much as a factor as most people think. The wind is supposed to be 1015mph & Channel 4 says the rain is going to stop in the morning. Should actually be a decent day for football. The weather Channell generalizes a region & tries to cover their ass. The local channels are more accurate imo.

holy christ! 1015 mph winds!!! armageddon is here!!!!!

Play with intensity, and heart. Stop the run early, make them second guess that option. I have a feeling we'll see a D similar to the one that we threw against the Patriots in the first game, which save for (I don't even want to write it down, lol) the end was doing very well. Big plays are going to dictate this game. The Saints are flying high with confidence right now. We need a play like Kyle Williams stuffing Cadillac in the backfield early on. Remember the Saints and Brees aren't invincible. They're not going to go 16-0, they can be beaten. The Bills D needs to find it within themselves to play great. They've done so already, this is just another way of getting due respect, they've earned some already, but now they have to continue doing so.

If we come up with 2 big scoring interceptions of Brees early in the game, we will immediately slow down his passing game. He is going to become gun shy. Then we just follow our game plan offfensively a la Jackson, Evans and TO, along with a dose of continued blitzing on defense. We make the Saints play our game!!! Oh! Yes! And one more thing! The crowd must be wild and loud! Then only Bad things going to happen for the Brees and his Saints!

Aarrgghh. It hurts just to be optimistic about this game. But I am.

Someone raised an interesting point about the score being 13-10 and pissing off all the fantasy goobs. If the Bills can somehow actually contain these guys and keep it a field goal race, guess what.....