Buffalove

timba

There are a lot of people from a lot of different backgrounds that support the Bills from these forums. How did you get started as a Bill fan and how long has it been?

I'm definitely one of the 'young-ins' on the board. I have family from the Buffalo area and my Dad was a huge fan. I started getting into the team during the superbowl era (I was 4 during the Bills-Giants) and have been following them ever since. By elementary school I was defending them against all the kids who liked to say 'BILLS stands for Boy, I Love Losing Superbowls'.

So what about you all?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born in 1973, and as far back as I can remember (about 3-4 days tops), my parents would make my older cousins babysit us (me, my bro and sis) while they would go to the games with my aunt and uncle...they would leave on sat in my uncles camper and camp out overnight and come home after the games Sundays...we would watch the games on tv...this was late 70's early 80's...so basically being a Bills fan was bred into me and I've stuck with them ever since...I could have easily turned to another team as I got older but didn't.

My dad took me to the parade when the buffalo bills came to town. I've followed them from the beginning but became a huge fan in 1965. I remember going to preseason games and worrying and arguing about why we should keep Pete Gogolak, Butch Byrd and someone else. Obviously we were wise to keep at least those two!! I loved the Kemp Lamonica battle, "golden wheels" Dubenion and Cookie Gilchrist. Tom Sestak was a monster lineman and very underrated.

Born in '79, first game was opening day 1985 against the Chargers in the drizzling rain w/ Vince Ferragamo at the helm. Season tickets from '87-'94, the rest is history. Now I live out of town and I get to one home game a year over Christmas, but I also get to at least one road game a year, which I find to be a better rush. I am obsessed with the Buffalo Bills. Obviously.

I am 46 and not sure what year the curse of being a Bills fan began, but it was prolly 70 or 71. I can still vividly remember going to games in the Rockpile with my Dad, Uncle and brother. Remember the absolute mayhem trying to get the ball that ensued after a field goal or extra point (before they put nets up). Remember my Dad and Uncle drinking whiskey all game, and those rat bastards not sharing with us :thumbdown:

I was born in 1973, and as far back as I can remember (about 3-4 days tops), my parents would make my older cousins babysit us (me, my bro and sis) while they would go to the games with my aunt and uncle...they would leave on sat in my uncles camper and camp out overnight and come home after the games Sundays...we would watch the games on tv...this was late 70's early 80's...so basically being a Bills fan was bred into me and I've stuck with them ever since...I could have easily turned to another team as I got older but didn't.

How could you stand being left behind?!

My dad took me to the parade when the buffalo bills came to town. I've followed them from the beginning but became a huge fan in 1965. I remember going to preseason games and worrying and arguing about why we should keep Pete Gogolak, Butch Byrd and someone else. Obviously we were wise to keep at least those two!! I loved the Kemp Lamonica battle, "golden wheels" Dubenion and Cookie Gilchrist. Tom Sestak was a monster lineman and very underrated.

I've only read stuff about the teams from back in the day. I would love to have seen some of those guys play.

Born in '79, first game was opening day 1985 against the Chargers in the drizzling rain w/ Vince Ferragamo at the helm. Season tickets from '87-'94, the rest is history. Now I live out of town and I get to one home game a year over Christmas, but I also get to at least one road game a year, which I find to be a better rush. I am obsessed with the Buffalo Bills. Obviously.

That makes me feel guilty as I've only actually been to a handfull of games. My first was a Bills-Phins game at Rich Stadium (so early 90's) where the Bills happened to get a good smacking. I was sitting in THE top row with a bunch of my family. My family included my 80 something year old great grandmother who didn't give a crap that she had to walk up the stairs cause she wanted to see her Bills!

The most recent game I was at was the Bills-Skins game from a couple season ago (in Washington) and we won with the Lindell field goal. It's really funny when you're one of 5 Bills fans in a section and you're the only one willing to get up and scream. There were a lot of pissed of Skins fans :thumbdown:

I'm 23 and grew up in Buffalo. My parents went to the oilers/bills playoff game and i sat home listening to it on the radio. i vividly remember listening to van miller on the radio going crazy as the bills scored touchdown after touchdown to come back and win. after that my parents got season tickets and have had them since, and the rest is history.

when i was about 4 and starting watching football i was a DOLPHINS fan all because of dan marino. he was/is my favorite player of all time. up until i was about 10 i used to watch the bills games with my family and purporsely root against the bills just to be a jack-ass. as soon as i turned 11 i thought why the hell do i like the dolphins? im from buffalo! the bills and the U have been the only teams i truly care about and the bills have been breaking my heart ever since.

I started getting into the team during the superbowl era (I was 4 during the Bills-Giants) and have been following them ever since. By elementary school I was defending them against all the kids who liked to say 'BILLS stands for Boy, I Love Losing Superbowls'.

I was Born in 80 and my step father (curse him) got me interested in the Bills. I too had to hear that B I L L S crap as well. Unfortunately I grew up and still live in Steeler Country, so now all I hear is how many rings do you have...which gets so old fast.

Born in Rochester in 72', started watching the Bills in 1980 and have been hooked ever since. I have vivid memories of my Dad cursing out Joe Ferguson for throwing interceptions as he often did. I remember when they changed their helmets from white to red in 84 and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. My parents split and I moved down South, but my addiction to the Bills continued. I remember them rolling out the red carpet for Kelly when he arrived, and I knew good things were coming. My Dad would send me VHS tapes in the mail so I could follow them. I've taken relentless abuse from Cowboy fans (I live in Dallas now), for the Superbowl beat-downs, but I stand tall hoping one day they'll win it all. There has been many times over the last few years (especially on Monday Nights), where I wish I could stop rooting for them....but I can't and NEVER will! GO BILLS

My family moved to Buffalo from Chicago when I was 4. So as I became aware of football in the late 60's, it was always the Bills even though they sucked. As a youngster I was a shameless team-swapping whore with my NFL/NFC team, but the Bills have always been #1.

Born in 64 and became a lifetime Bills nut in early childhood. I happened to be in Buffalo Children's hospital recuperating from surgery the day OJ got 2003. There were a bunch of us kids watching on black and white TV's with assorted parents all around. I remember the moment vividly - a bunch of strangers bonded together over the Juice (sad to say I also know exactly where I was in the Juice's Bronco / Freeway moment).

My gandfather had season tickets and took me to a game the following season. If the hook was not set the year before it sure was then. I remember Rich stadium (now simply the Ralph) seemed like something unreal. I could go on, Kelly years, season tix, trips to away games etc.

I have long since moved away from WNY but the passion for the Bills continues to burn deeply. It is strong enough that I may actually return someday. I have traveled the world and lived in many cities around the country. WNY has its own charm even with the weather.

when i was about 4 and starting watching football i was a DOLPHINS fan all because of dan marino. he was/is my favorite player of all time. up until i was about 10 i used to watch the bills games with my family and purporsely root against the bills just to be a jack-ass. as soon as i turned 11 i thought why the hell do i like the dolphins? im from buffalo! the bills and the U have been the only teams i truly care about and the bills have been breaking my heart ever since.

Thank god you got that Dolphin thing out of your system :thumbdown:

I was Born in 80 and my step father (curse him) got me interested in the Bills. I too had to hear that B I L L S crap as well. Unfortunately I grew up and still live in Steeler Country, so now all I hear is how many rings do you have...which gets so old fast.

Yeah I work with one of those... I've been making fun of him all week for losing to Chicago

Born in Rochester in 72', started watching the Bills in 1980 and have been hooked ever since. I have vivid memories of my Dad cursing out Joe Ferguson for throwing interceptions as he often did. I remember when they changed their helmets from white to red in 84 and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. My parents split and I moved down South, but my addiction to the Bills continued. I remember them rolling out the red carpet for Kelly when he arrived, and I knew good things were coming. My Dad would send me VHS tapes in the mail so I could follow them. I've taken relentless abuse from Cowboy fans (I live in Dallas now), for the Superbowl beat-downs, but I stand tall hoping one day they'll win it all. There has been many times over the last few years (especially on Monday Nights), where I wish I could stop rooting for them....but I can't and NEVER will! GO BILLS

That's some dedication, having tapes sent to you so you could watch! These last three Monday Night games have been particularly brutal.

My family moved to Buffalo from Chicago when I was 4. So as I became aware of football in the late 60's, it was always the Bills even though they sucked. As a youngster I was a shameless team-swapping whore with my NFL/NFC team, but the Bills have always been #1.

I also remember being a KC Chiefs fan early on. That back in the day when home games just were not televised, sellout or no sellout. Seems the Chiefs of Len Dawson and Ed Podalack(sp), were on the Tv a lot..really remember rooting for the Chiefs in the "longest Game ever" .

Im 30 and lived in Buffalo all but 2 years of my life when I moved to Vegas during the Malarkey years. I have been a fan of the Bills as far as I can remember. Watching Thurman tear up the Dolphins 2-3 times a year (including playoffs), Bruce talking smack and going out and destroying QB's every week, and Kelly throwing TD's to Reed almost every game.

I went to my first Bills game during the 1990 season (i think). I was in the end zone with my dad, uncle and cousin and watched James Lofton catch a TD on the sidelines on the 2nd play of the game and the place went crazy. I remember beating the Jets (i think) and winning the division and I was thinking the goalposts were going to come down like they did before but they didnt (i was so upset).

Ive been to at least one game just about every season since and cant get enough of the game day experience. There is nothing more exciting than getting there early on cold morning in the winter. The feeling when you get out of the car and step onto the parking lot and just look at the stadium and the mostly empty parking lot (its still 8:05) and imagine how great its going to be in a few short hours when your pounding on the seats, jumping up and down when they announce the team. Sends chills across my entire body when the team comes out of the tunnel.

Walking out of the tunnel and walking down to your seat, announcing of the team, the singing of the National Anthem, the fireworks, the flybys (if were lucky) are amazing to me. Might actually be the best part of the game. Well after the feeling of victory as you walk back through the tunnels and onto the concourse are pretty close. I love the experience just as much as I do the Bills. Everything added up is why I will always be a fan and go to every game played here in Buffalo.

I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in WNY. It all began on January 8, 1959.

Who are you? Rick James?

"When I was a young boy...livin in the ghetto..."

Me? I've been a fan since 1982.

Well, I may be one of the newer fans here, but that doesn't mean that I love the Bills any less than the rest of you. I am entering my third season as a Bills fan, mainly because I'm from NE PA and it's such an awkward spot to be a fan (3 hours from Philly, Buffalo; 4 hours to Pitt and NYC) and there was no way I could ever like the Eagles or Steelers. But being a student in the Buffalo area now has ignited a love for the Bills like no other. I can now say I am a diehard Bills fan and damn proud of it!

I actually became a bills fan after moving to south florida in the early 80's. When in Buffalo I really didn't follow football but when I got to Miami, I had to deal with such obnoxious Miami fans that my love for the Bills also grew out of my hate for the ridicule I took being from Buffalo. Unfortunately that was in the Kay Stephenson era so I had to take crap for a while. But during the Kelly-Bryan Cox years we kicked the crap out of the fish and I had the last laugh.