Wow, just wow

zow2

So I'm flipping through some of the games on the dish yesterday and paused at Jax/Ariz. The stands looked half empty when they panned out. Official attendance in the paper today was 46,520. That was for their Home Opener and they have a decent team. So is Buffalo still considered a possibility to relocate to LA when they inevitably get a team? (or Toronto?)....really, really? I would think Jax would have to be first on any contraction-relocation list. That has proven to be the worst NFL market of all time.

It would be an absolute debacle if the Bills were the team to be relocated. It looks evident to me that those homers out in Northern Florida care about college football more than the pros. If I were a betting man, and I am, I would bet that Jacksonville relocates before the Bills.

So I'm flipping through some of the games on the dish yesterday and paused at Jax/Ariz. The stands looked half empty when they panned out. Official attendance in the paper today was 46,520. That was for their Home Opener and they have a decent team. So is Buffalo still considered a possibility to relocate to LA when they inevitably get a team? (or Toronto?)....really, really? I would think Jax would have to be first on any contraction-relocation list. That has proven to be the worst NFL market of all time.

Seems to be an underlying belief that it has potential for growth. Your points are valid though - I can't see how the NFL stays there if attendance is that anemic.

I mean the Bills cry poor sometimes but they can pull from Southern Ontario, Monroe county, and central NY. If for some miracle, the region built some fancy retractable dome on the waterfront or in Niagara Falls....the passionate fans would have no trouble selling it out. I mean Chicago only has a 62,000 seat stadium. You get the feeling that even if JAcksonville built the taj mahal, they would still have a lousy fan base. Outside the city limits there's nothing out there but trailer parks. Orlando is not close at all and they support the Bucs or Dolphins.

There isn't really a big Jags fan base - at all. Take that into account, along with fact that the area is more into college football, along with economic factors and Jacksonville is headed for a disaster. That area got hit HUGE in this recession, more so than most places. And without the rabid following (that we have in Buffalo), tickets to the Jags were the first things to go.

Fans stopped going to Jags games 3 years ago....that's why the tarps cover the upper deck.

They have an awful team in '09. They're staring at 4-12 and Tim Tebow to save that franchise. Good Luck!

I mean the Bills cry poor sometimes but they can pull from Southern Ontario, Monroe county, and central NY. If for some miracle, the region built some fancy retractable dome on the waterfront or in Niagara Falls....the passionate fans would have no trouble selling it out. I mean Chicago only has a 62,000 seat stadium. You get the feeling that even if JAcksonville built the taj mahal, they would still have a lousy fan base. Outside the city limits there's nothing out there but trailer parks. Orlando is not close at all and they support the Bucs or Dolphins.

They never should have built a team in Jacksonville to begin with. But for the record Orlando is 140 miles from Jacksonville - which should be a reasonable drive for fans there, much more reasonable than Miami. Miami is much much further from Orlando than that, at 235 miles. The problem is that Jacksonville is not large enough to support professional sports franchises, and with two other pro teams already established in that state, it is hard to draw any new fans. Fans don't just lose their loyalties because a new team opened up a little closer. It is the same reason the Marlins struggle with attendance - Most of Florida was a pure out loyal Braves market and too many people there still support the Braves.

It was just a terrible decision to open a franchise in Jacksonville.

I don't really understand how a Jacksonville team was expected to succeed in the first place. It's not a big city from a population standpoint, and football fans from the state of Florida already had the Dolphins, Buccaneers, Gators, Seminoles, Hurricanes, etc, etc, etc to follow.

That's Econ 101, don't supersaturate a market.

It would be an absolute debacle if the Bills were the team to be relocated. It looks evident to me that those homers out in Northern Florida care about college football more than the pros. If I were a betting man, and I am, I would bet that Jacksonville relocates before the Bills.

living in central florida, that is pretty much correct. where jax is, most people either a. care about the gators b. care about the seminoles c. care about the dolphins.

I have always thought Del Rio was a classy guy. I can see Texas or Tulsa having an expansion team.

There are great, great football fans...in San Antonio. They are small (obviously not smaller than Buffalo) but they have a passion for football. It would have worked out just fine for the NFL and the franchise if the Saints had stayed there after Katrina.

...Sorry, it's just the truth.

Key statement in the article: "Leaving before 2030 would require the Jaguars to prove they had lost money in three consecutive seasons or to convince a local judge that the city was failing to properly maintain Alltel Stadium."

Judging by their attendance I am pretty sure they may have been showing a loss for quite some time now. Can you imagine how much it must piss Jerry Jones off to be sharing revenue with a team like this?

I agree, it's all about money.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._11340226.shtml

According to that article, which was written about 7 years ago, it's a virtual certainty the Jags stay in Jacksonville for most if not all of the duration of their lease, when expires in 2030.

Contracts can always be worked out with enough litigation. I'm sure there are some loopholes somewhere.

living in central florida, that is pretty much correct. where jax is, most people either a. care about the gators b. care about the seminoles c. care about the dolphins.

and if by some weird chance a florida football fan isnt a gator/sminole/hurricane/dolphin fan, they will MOST LIKELY be a Bucs fan before a Jag fan