Top 10 Bills Stunning Losses

HarkinBanks

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8. Season Opener 2007 (Elam and the Broncos field goal unit scrambled onto the field to convert a 42-yard attempt just as time ran out)

This one hurts a lot (especially for us Bills fans in Denver) because Elam 'credited' the fans at the Ralph with an assist as they shouted the final seconds as they ticked away... the Broncos knew exactly when they had to snap the ball

Out of curiosity...how old are you? There are decades of horrendous losses available. For example, I remember a game against the fish where Kelly threw a gift to Louis Oliver on the Fish's goal line that just crushed me for months. EDIT: Thought it was Louis Oliver, but it was Buckley. My bad, I used to drink a lot back in the day. :censored:

ooo I remember that. I also believe that prior to being wtih the fish Buckley was with the Rams and earned the nickname "Toast" for getting burned so often?! That made this doubly worse.

The Bengals loss in 88 in the playoffs was a "masterpiece" as well. Bruce Smith sacked Boomer and got called for a phantom facemask to give the Bungles another gift... <sigh>

Did Bruce get called for that? I thought Shane Conlon got called for a facemask that negated the sack...

I guess the point is there have been a number of heartbreakers. Every team has them though, my husband still can't get over the Ice Bowl...

Did Bruce get called for that? I thought Shane Conlon got called for a facemask that negated the sack...

He did. Admittedly, it sort of looked like a facemask at regular speed, because Bruce reached out with 1 arm and tossed Boomer into the air like a rag doll.

Bruce would later deliver a kill shot to Boomer as a Jet that wasn't called. So, things even up. :censored:

I guess the point is there have been a number of heartbreakers. Every team has them though, my husband still can't get over the Ice Bowl...

Every team has lost games, that is true. But, the Bills have been a losing franchise most of their history. When you lose more than you win 2 out of every 3 years, the chances for spectacular and epic fail just go up. Other franchises with a stronger tradition of winning are statistically less likely to have as many epic failures. Oh well.

1. Wide Right: Giants Super Bowl 1991 (My seat was pretty lousy and I actually thought the kick was good!)

2. Home Run Throwback: Titans Playoffs 2000 (Titans score on forward lateral on kickoff after “winning” touchdown drive by Bills)

3. Harmon's Drop: Cleveland Playoffs 1990 ((Harmon's dropped pass in the end zone on the potentially winning play)

4. New England Nightmare: MNF 2009 (McKelvin fumbles the kickoff with 2:00 left and the Bills up by 5)

5. Dallas Debacle: MNF 2007 (Cowboys recover onside kick and hit 53 yard field goal to win the game)

6. Cleveland Collapse: MNF 2008 (Cleveland makes a 56 yard field goal with a minute left, Buffalo misses a 47 yard field goal at the end of the game)

7. Season Opener 2004 (Jags win on last play, Leftwich to Wilford after Clements should have knocked down an earlier pass and killed the drive)

8. Season Opener 2007 (Elam and the Broncos field goal unit scrambled onto the field to convert a 42-yard attempt just as time ran out)

9. Losman’s Last Laugh 2008 (Bills are running out the clock, Losman fumbles on a bootleg and Jets run it back for winning TD)

10. Fill in the blank

This is really an impressive list when you think about all the different ways you can blow a game.

Go Bills.

Great list for recent years. Three very painful losses from previous years:

1.) 1979 game in rain at OP where Dempsey missed a 20 yard FG that would have won the game after Joe Ferguson marched them up the field at the end to win. The rain had stopped and there was no reason Dempsey should have missed the FG. The sun came out just to see the hated Fish jumping up and down in glee on the other side of the field (where I was sitting). The streak reached 19 losses in a row and 20 with the loss later that year.

2.) The playoff loss in SD in 1980, partially caused by bad officiating (how often is that the case), not one bad call but many marginal ones all against the Bills. Had we won that game we probably would have won the SB. The conf. champ. would have been Oakland at Buffalo and we had already beaten Oakland 24-7 earlier in the year and knocked Plunkett out with an injury. Oakland went on instead to win the SB since they didn't have to face us again.

3.) 32-14 (I believe) loss to the Steelers (1974) in our ONLY, that is right ONLY, playoff game in the 70's. Although OJ did well the Steelers had no trouble against us at home (we could have had a home playoff game except that we lost 2 to the Fish, one with another horrible call on Buffalo). That was it for a full decade of being a Bills fan, 10 years of futility with one lopsided playoff loss.

Wait a minute at least we had a playoff game in the 70's. From the 2000 to 2008 seasons no playoffs. We have only this season to get one in, unless you count the game played in Jan. 2000 when we lost to the Titans.

The Bengals loss in 88 in the playoffs was a "masterpiece" as well. Bruce Smith sacked Boomer and got called for a phantom facemask to give the Bungles another gift... <sigh>

Smith distracted got hurt on the next play too. Even Joe Theisman doing commentary on ESPN later that evening said the officials got in the way of one of the best individual defensive performances in history. Up until the stupid penalty Bruce had made Munoz look like swiss cheese.

How about this...

1- SB 25

2- SB 26

3- SB 27

4- SB 28

5- Home Run Throw Forward

6- 1995 Playoff Loss at Pitt

7- 1996 Playoff Loss at Home to Jax

8- 1988 AFC title game at Cinci

9- 1989 Ronnie Harmon Playoff Loss at Cle

10- 2004 loss to Pitt 2nd stringers that puts us in the playoffs

Playoff losses are much harder to take, let alone SBs. Regular season losses may be large and hurt, but nothing compares to "Season Over" after hopes are really raised.

I would add that playoff game we lost to San Diego, Fouts and company when Fergy had that bad ankle. I think it was 1983?

Great list for recent years. Three very painful losses from previous years:

1.) 1979 game in rain at OP where Dempsey missed a 20 yard FG that would have won the game after Joe Ferguson marched them up the field at the end to win. The rain had stopped and there was no reason Dempsey should have missed the FG. The sun came out just to see the hated Fish jumping up and down in glee on the other side of the field (where I was sitting). The streak reached 19 losses in a row and 20 with the loss later that year.

2.) The playoff loss in SD in 1980, partially caused by bad officiating (how often is that the case), not one bad call but many marginal ones all against the Bills. Had we won that game we probably would have won the SB. The conf. champ. would have been Oakland at Buffalo and we had already beaten Oakland 24-7 earlier in the year and knocked Plunkett out with an injury. Oakland went on instead to win the SB since they didn't have to face us again.

3.) 32-14 (I believe) loss to the Steelers (1974) in our ONLY, that is right ONLY, playoff game in the 70's. Although OJ did well the Steelers had no trouble against us at home (we could have had a home playoff game except that we lost 2 to the Fish, one with another horrible call on Buffalo). That was it for a full decade of being a Bills fan, 10 years of futility with one lopsided playoff loss.

Wait a minute at least we had a playoff game in the 70's. From the 2000 to 2008 seasons no playoffs. We have only this season to get one in, unless you count the game played in Jan. 2000 when we lost to the Titans.

Weren't we come closer to beating the undefeated Dolphins in '72, losing by a point? I can't recall the circumstances but I am sure we found some horrific way to lose it.

ooo I remember that. I also believe that prior to being wtih the fish Buckley was with the Rams and earned the nickname "Toast" for getting burned so often?! That made this doubly worse.

naah, it was Green Bay, but yeah, Terrell Buckley got abused regularly when he was up in cheese country.

Smith distracted got hurt on the next play too. Even Joe Theisman doing commentary on ESPN later that evening said the officials got in the way of one of the best individual defensive performances in history. Up until the stupid penalty Bruce had made Munoz look like swiss cheese.

That game was marred by some pretty cruddy officiating. The Bills were the "up and comers" and therefore too many calls (IMNSHO) went the Bengals way. But, yes, Smith was a terror that day. I still think we'd have won the Super Bowl that year if not for the refs... <sigh>

That game was marred by some pretty cruddy officiating. The Bills were the "up and comers" and therefore too many calls (IMNSHO) went the Bengals way. But, yes, Smith was a terror that day. I still think we'd have won the Super Bowl that year if not for the refs... <sigh>

Agree -- that was a very good team.

1. Wide Right: Giants Super Bowl 1991 (My seat was pretty lousy and I actually thought the kick was good!)

2. Home Run Throwback: Titans Playoffs 2000 (Titans score on forward lateral on kickoff after “winning” touchdown drive by Bills)

3. Harmon's Drop: Cleveland Playoffs 1990 ((Harmon's dropped pass in the end zone on the potentially winning play)

4. New England Nightmare: MNF 2009 (McKelvin fumbles the kickoff with 2:00 left and the Bills up by 5)

5. Dallas Debacle: MNF 2007 (Cowboys recover onside kick and hit 53 yard field goal to win the game)

6. Cleveland Collapse: MNF 2008 (Cleveland makes a 56 yard field goal with a minute left, Buffalo misses a 47 yard field goal at the end of the game)

7. Season Opener 2004 (Jags win on last play, Leftwich to Wilford after Clements should have knocked down an earlier pass and killed the drive)

9. Losman’s Last Laugh 2008 (Bills are running out the clock, Losman fumbles on a bootleg and Jets run it back for winning TD)

10. Fill in the blank

This is really an impressive list when you think about all the different ways you can blow a game.

Go Bills.

I don't think there is any other franchise that has 5 of their most heartbreaking losses in 3 straight seasons (Let alone 3 on Monday night football) Also 2 of them on the season opener.

It was Pastorini we KO'd with a broken leg, taking us to 5-0. One could argue that we were responsible for Plunketts' career resurgence. That SB winning Raider team had a certain WR familiar to many of us. :censored: